Active Members?

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I have been seeing Eric here on each of the last few days, so I do not understand what you are actually talking about. He just has not posted the last few days.
Thank you, those news are music to my ears. I must have missed him on the Thread Info section. This makes sense since in a now closed thread about forum issues he mentioned that sometimes he'll stop posting for a week as a discipline tool...
Anyway then, Eric welcome back. Nothing is forgiven. :)

peter_d

Reader
We have to group inactive members into some of these categories:

- Spammers 10%
- Lazy students who wants their homeworks to be done 10%
- Nobel enthusiasts that come for a week in early October and leave after the announcement. 20%
- People frighten off by Eric 60%

I'm afraid I belong to the third category nowadays. My intention is to stick around longer this time. Almost 2 years ago my morbid obsession with reading and literature suddenly dissapeared in just a few weeks. It had to do with a relocation from Africa back to the Netherlands and with reviving another old hobby (playing chess) which pushed aside the reading a bit. During the summer holidays I did read some novels again and my passion for books seems to be coming back. Hopefully in a slightly milder form this time... :)

O! Dutch speaking people, ahoy!

I wonder what's up with all these adidas spammers these days, been banning quite a few of them already.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
In portuguese we say that ADIDAS is short for associação de idiotas dispostos a sabotar.
Assorted dumb idiots deliberately acting as saboteurs. :)

P.S. Please don't ban me, I was just joking.

Hamlet

Reader
O! Dutch speaking people, ahoy!

I wonder what's up with all these adidas spammers these days, been banning quite a few of them already.

You sure do get some odd spamming around these parts. I thought people had better things or at least other things to do, like shopping, or washing up the dishes, or going for a jog.

But it seems spamming lights some people's flames.

Thanks for cleaning up our meanderings earlier in thwe thread, Polly.

Last edited:

Eric

Former Member
Eleven years ago, 9/11 was a day of wanton destruction. Try not to emulate it in a minor, verbal way, active members.

Hamlet

Reader
I'm seeing a lot of interest in the forum, but these people don't appear to be signing up or signed up. Okay, that's fine, but there's 10 people right now looking at the WRITERS thread, I'd be interested to hear what they think, such a shame that it's only going one-way.

Stevie B

Current Member
I'm seeing a lot of interest in the forum, but these people don't appear to be signing up or signed up. Okay, that's fine, but there's 10 people right now looking at the WRITERS thread, I'd be interested to hear what they think, such a shame that it's only going one-way.

About a week ago, I scrolled down and noticed there were 139 users on-line, but only one member (me). I, too, wonder why more people aren't taking the leap to become members. I'm growing increasingly suspicious that Liam has instituted a $100 membership fee and that he is siphoning off funds in order to impress his new friends at Harvard.:rolleyes:

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
About a week ago, I scrolled down and noticed there were 139 users on-line, but only one member (me). I, too, wonder why more people aren't taking the leap to become members. I'm growing increasingly suspicious that Liam has instituted a $100 membership fee and that he is siphoning off funds in order to impress his new friends at Harvard.:rolleyes:

Be patient with our guests. After all, I lurked in the shadows as a guest for almost two years before I finally took the plunge and became a member by paying the hun... Wait a minute! You mean you guys didn't pay to join? I wuz robbed I tell ya!
emoticon_lol.gif

Hamlet

Reader
I've seen adverts for various goods popping up, and recently, would you believe, I had a pm, for toasters or something, bizarre. That's right, I pop online to read about books, and somebody thinks "ahh, there's a chance to sell some electronic goods..."

I can see Liam driving one of those little trucks we see around here with the flashing lights, cleaning away the trash... and sighing, turning around, and coming back down the road the other way...

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Most of these people are not guests, but parasites. If you knew how much spam I remove from this site on a daily basis, you wouldn't be so cheeky with your comments.

Liam, I had no idea things were that bad, I apologize for making light of the situation. I'm very grateful to you and to the other administrators who keep this place nice and clean for the rest of us to enjoy.

Ours is a strange world where there are more sellers than consumers. There may be a couple hundred occasional readers who visit the forum from time to time (I guess), but there seem to be several hundred spammers continuously trying to push their crap on the remote chance that one or two of those few dozen actual readers will be interested enough to inspect their wares. I mean, how desperate one has to be?

Of course, a little Perl script can automate the spamming process and that is the reason why some sites without devoted administrators have been forced to use Captcha posting validation or block the first post from a newly registered member until it is inspected and approved for release. Luckily for us WLF members, we don't need to put up with any of that nonsense thanks to the efforts of Liam and other administrators. If you don't believe how fortunate we are here at the WLF, try posting something as a new member at our sister site, the fantasy-based forests (good luck with that).

Hamlet

Reader
Interesting, I'm a member of a forum that has around 10 active mods, and you never see a piece of spam, or a troll, for long anyway. We don't get to see the internet trash that hits them, I'm a mod on there, too, but I don't cover any spam-clearing duties, they give the keys to drive that little truck to somebody else.

And they don't have Liam the Spam Killer, either! Cheers Liam.

What a Weird Wired World, hey.

Liam

Administrator
I had a pm, for toasters or something...
Hamlet, PMs of this nature should be reported directly to Stewart or Polly. Unfortunately Daniel and I can't ban users based on a suspicious-looking PM--we need to have an actual forum post displaying spam within the body of the message in order to remove them. But Stewart and Polly can take care of the rest.

Hamlet

Reader
Hamlet, PMs of this nature should be reported directly to Stewart or Polly. Unfortunately Daniel and I can't ban users based on a suspicious-looking PM--we need to have an actual forum post displaying spam within the body of the message in order to remove them. But Stewart and Polly can take care of the rest.

Sure Liam, I'll report any others I get, it was only one, and it was deleted...

Cheers bud.

Liam

Administrator
It seems the number of "active members" has changed yet again--this time from up to down. The system is saying that we now have only about 58 users regularly contributing to the forum, as opposed to 150 of two years ago. I wonder what happened. The number of overall members has increased, however, due to all these foreign spammers registering in droves. I wonder why the number of regular users keeps falling--it was 65 last week, and we're down to high fifties this week. Not a good sign, :(