African Literature

Ben Jackson

I thought you were Yoruba, Ben, which must be the other tribe.

No.

It's very true that, as a result of slave trade, some Yorubas can be found in Brazil, I think in the states of Curitiba, Sao Paulo and Bahia if I'm not mistaken, but you can still find some Igbos in United States, Canada, and England. Slaves from Igbo land didn't work in South America, many of them worked in plantations in United States, especially in the states of Virginia, Mississppi and Alabama. Actors Kerry Washinghton, known for her role in tv series Scandal, and Oscar winner Forrest Whittaker (Last King of Scotland) identifies themselves descendants of Igbo people.

For books to understand the Igbo tribe, tradition and people, here are some:

History of Igbo People--- Elizabeth Isichei
The Land has changed--- Chima Korieh
Jewish Identity Among the Igbo People-- Daniel Lis
Literary History of the Igbo Novel--- Ernest Emenyonou
Igbo History and Society--- Adiele Afigbo.
Things Fall Apart--- Chinua Achebe

Ben Jackson

Small world! Thank you for your sleuthing. He has a great website: https://emmanueliduma.com/ Having read Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie several years ago, and still feeling somewhat haunted by the memory of the novel, I was intrigued to come across this. Also thank you for your kind words regarding my photo avatar, Danius is in so many ways a heroine of mine: the seamless manner in which she blended fashion and criticism, the fact that her (sadly brief) role chairing the Swedish Academy coincided with awards that pushed the literary Nobel's boundaries.

I missed her too. Just unfortunate she died prematurely. She was much influenced by late singer David Bowie's fashion sense (she said David Bowie is her favourite musician), and Marcel Duchamp. I think the only individual in Swedish Academy that's much influenced by pop culture. An all round individual.

Leseratte

No.

It's very true that, as a result of slave trade, some Yorubas can be found in Brazil, I think in the states of Curitiba, Sao Paulo and Bahia if I'm not mistaken, but you can still find some Igbos in United States, Canada, and England. Slaves from Igbo land didn't work in South America, many of them worked in plantations in United States, especially in the states of Virginia, Mississppi and Alabama. Actors Kerry Washinghton, known for her role in tv series Scandal, and Oscar winner Forrest Whittaker (Last King of Scotland) identifies themselves descendants of Igbo people.

Thanks, Ben, for the information and the book references. Actually I was referring to the tribes existing today in Nigeria, but ok.
I read Things Fall Apart a long time ago and was very impressed at the time. There have been recent emigration waves from Africa to Brazil, I think there were many Nigerians too. And São Paulo is a sort of entrance door to the
rest of the country, because of its airport.

Last edited:

Leseratte

Out of curiosity I looked him up:
May 22, 2009 #554 (Introduce Yourself)
"My name is Emmanuel Iduma, a Nigerian, and I currently reside there. I am working on a couple of works, and I believe I have to write meaning to life, not just for myself, but for others who care. I look forward to having a wonderful time here."
This is his only entry and he was last seen two days later.

alik-vit

Reader
Out of curiosity I looked him up:
May 22, 2009 #554 (Introduce Yourself)
"My name is Emmanuel Iduma, a Nigerian, and I currently reside there. I am working on a couple of works, and I believe I have to write meaning to life, not just for myself, but for others who care. I look forward to having a wonderful time here."
This is his only entry and he was last seen two days later.
You wrote great beginning for the detective book!

Ben Jackson

As Nigeria is heading to the polls come Saturday, here are some Nigerian novels to read:

Season of Crimson Blossoms--- Abubakar Ibrahim
Born on Tuesday--- ElNathan John
Anthills of the Savannah--- Chinua Achebe
Violence--- Festus Iyayi
The Last Duty--- Isidore Okpewho
Everything Good Will Come--- Sefi Atta
Beasts of No Nation
Death of Vivek Oji
Chronicle of the Happiest People on Earth

These novels are set in post war/21st Century Nigerian society.

Leseratte

As Nigeria is heading to the polls come Saturday, here are some Nigerian novels to read:

Violence--- Festus Iyayi
Beasts of No Nation
Death of Vivek Oji

These novels are set in post war/21st Century Nigerian society.
Thumbs up for a good result of the polls!

kpjayan

Reader

Violence--- Festus Iyayi
Beasts of No Nation
Death of Vivek Oji

These novels are set in post war/21st Century Nigerian societyI
Thanks for all those recommendations. Have a lot of catch up to do..

Here is another list that came out a couple of days ago..

Ben Jackson

Thumbs up for a good result of the polls!

Update for elections.

As of 7 P M, the elections has been going on smoothly, at least in the country's major cities: Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan. But in the smaller states, especially in most cities in the Northern Region, the electoral materials failed to show up on time, people are still voting in these areas. Due to hunger, I didn't cast my vote because of the scarcity of cash in the country (this has been a big issue in the country for nearly a month now), which resulted in me been hungry throughout the morning, though I later ate around 12 noon. Banks has been having serious issues in dispensing cash, and in fact throughout last week, most banks in Abuja, where I reside with my parents, was shut down. Many people didn't really vote, at least from my experiences in Abuja and some parts of Eastern Region, due to this scarcity of cash. How can you stand under the sun for the sake of voting when you're not sure of what to eat for the day?

But so far, the election has been going on well. Very smooth. From Monday, we will be hearing the results from some cities. And then by Tuesday or Wednesday, we'll know the winner.

Ben Jackson

Thanks for all those recommendations. Have a lot of catch up to do..

Here is another list that came out a couple of days ago..

I haven't read most of the books I recommended. So maybe we might read them together.

From the five Nigerian books list you posted, I have only read TFA and Famished Road. Efuru by Flora Nwapa, the first black African woman to publish a novel, beating Grace Ogot by six months, was a set book my mother read around 1981/82, so maybe I might look for the copy she read and look it up. Joys of Motherhood was listed among one of the Africa's 100 greatest books of 20th Century. Have only read Emecheta's other famous novel Second Class Citizen which is beautiful. Purple Hibiscus is another book I will read, but I have to choose a good time for it.

Leseratte

Update for elections.

As of 7 P M, the elections has been going on smoothly, at least in the country's major cities: Lagos, Abuja, Ibadan. But in the smaller states, especially in most cities in the Northern Region, the electoral materials failed to show up on time, people are still voting in these areas. Due to hunger, I didn't cast my vote because of the scarcity of cash in the country (this has been a big issue in the country for nearly a month now), which resulted in me been hungry throughout the morning, though I later ate around 12 noon. Banks has been having serious issues in dispensing cash, and in fact throughout last week, most banks in Abuja, where I reside with my parents, was shut down. Many people didn't really vote, at least from my experiences in Abuja and some parts of Eastern Region, due to this scarcity of cash. How can you stand under the sun for the sake of voting when you're not sure of what to eat for the day?

But so far, the election has been going on well. Very smooth. From Monday, we will be hearing the results from some cities. And then by Tuesday or Wednesday, we'll know the winner.
Without wanting to bei too inquisitive, Ben:
Is voting free or compulsory in Nigeria? In Brazil it is compulsory for anyone between 18 and 70.

Is there a candidate that might improve things (for example this problem of the banks), if he/she wins?

Ben Jackson

Without wanting to bei too inquisitive, Ben:
Is voting free or compulsory in Nigeria? In Brazil it is compulsory for anyone between 18 and 70.

Is there a candidate that might improve things (for example this problem of the banks), if he/she wins?

Not at all, it isn't compulsory yet. Maybe it might be in the future. You only vote in an election if you have the voters card. You must be 18 of course to enjoy this privilege.

The way it works is that if you are registered in a ward in Brasilia for example, and you are from, say Sao Paulo, you are only going to vote in Brasilia, no matter what you happens. You can't cast your vote in Sao Paulo because you are already registered in Brasilia.

If not for what is happening in the country financially, I could have cast my vote in this election. But I have to wait for another four years to do that.

The issue happening in the banks is just a political strategy targeting some candidates in case of vote buying and electoral mal-practice. The four major candidates (there are almost fifty candidates fighting for the presidential seat), are extremely rich, and they might use their money to influence the elections to their favour. Some Nigerians believe that. It's not a national issue per se, just a tactics that is used for the elections. I believe scarcity of cash will disappear as we enter new month of March.

Last edited:

Leseratte

Not at all, it isn't compulsory yet. Maybe it might be in the future. You only vote in an election if you have the voters card. You must be 18 of course to enjoy this privilege.

The way it works is that if you are registered in a ward in Brasilia for example, and you are from, say Sao Paulo, you are only going to vote in Brasilia, no matter what you happens. You can't cast your vote in Sao Paulo because you are already registered in Brasilia.

If not for what is happening in the country financially, I could have cast my vote in this election. But I have to wait for another four years to do that.

The issue happening in the banks is just a political strategy targeting some candidates in case of vote buying and electoral mal-practice. The four major candidates (there are almost fifty candidates fighting for the presidential seat), are extremely rich, and they might use their money to influence the elections to their favour. Some Nigerians believe that. It's not a national issue per se, just a tactics that is used for the elections. I believe scarcity of cash will disappear as we enter new month of March.
Well, here people also usually vote where they are registered, normally in the city or town, where they live.
I hope this cash problem is soon solved and that the best candidate of the ones available wins.

Ben Jackson

Responding to #26 comment on African writers.

As an African, I would say that the list of writers posted isn't even the best from the continent. Writers like Segun Afolabi, isn't supposed to be listed. Likewise many others.

This is, IMHO, the best African writers. I will start from the last century (20) then rank the 21st Century (same number).

20th Century

Wole Soyinka
Naguib Mahfouz
Nadine Gordimer
Chinua Achebe
J M Coetzee
Ngugi Wa Thiong'O
Asia Djebar
Leopold Sedar Senghor
Athol Fugard
Tawfiq Al-Hakim

Andre Brink
Ayi Kwei Armah
Nurundin Farah
Mohammed Dib
Breyten Breytenbach
Tahar Ben Jelloun
Albert Memmi
Nawal-El Saadawi
Christopher Okigbo
Taha Hussein

For 21st Century, some of the writers actually began writing in the late 80s and early 90s, but their major works came out this century.

Adichie
Mia Couto
Abdulrazak Gurnah
Ben Okri
Jose Agalusa
Ivan Vladislavic
Damon Galgut
Chris Abani
Leila Aboulela
Alain Mabanckou

Helon Habila
Aminatta Forna
Teju Cole
Leila Abouzeid
Yasmina Khadra
Ibrahim Al Koni
Abdourahaman Waberi
Leila Lalami
Petina Gappah
Boualem Sansal

The list for 21st century isn't as confident as the previous century because the century's still young. But at least the first ten, I think, will be definite.

Leseratte

Responding to #26 comment on African writers.

As an African, I would say that the list of writers posted isn't even the best from the continent. Writers like Segun Afolabi, isn't supposed to be listed. Likewise many others.

This is, IMHO, the best African writers. I will start from the last century (20) then rank the 21st Century (same number).

20th Century

Wole Soyinka
Naguib Mahfouz
Nadine Gordimer
Chinua Achebe
J M Coetzee
Ngugi Wa Thiong'O
Asia Djebar
Leopold Sedar Senghor
Athol Fugard
Tawfiq Al-Hakim

Andre Brink
Ayi Kwei Armah
Nurundin Farah
Mohammed Dib
Breyten Breytenbach
Tahar Ben Jelloun
Albert Memmi
Nawal-El Saadawi
Christopher Okigbo
Taha Hussein

For 21st Century, some of the writers actually began writing in the late 80s and early 90s, but their major works came out this century.

Adichie
Mia Couto
Abdulrazak Gurnah
Ben Okri
Jose Agalusa
Ivan Vladislavic
Damon Galgut
Chris Abani
Leila Aboulela
Alain Mabanckou

Helon Habila
Aminatta Forna
Teju Cole
Leila Abouzeid
Yasmina Khadra
Ibrahim Al Koni
Abdourahaman Waberi
Leila Lalami
Petina Gappah
Boualem Sansal

The list for 21st century isn't as confident as the previous century because the century's still young. But at least the first ten, I think, will be definite.
And I thought Ivan Vladislavic was a Russian writer because of his name.

Leseratte

No.

Just a correction, if you permit me, Ben: Curitiba is the capital of the state Paraná.

Ben Jackson

A lot of people, when they talk about African Literature, mostly refer to world written before 2000. Only few have actually read novels from the continent published in this century. Here are some masterpieces published in this 21st Century (I will only post novels between 2000-2019)

?? The Pickup--- Nadine Gordimer
?? In a Strange Room, Good Doctor, Artic Summer--- Damon Galgut
?? Links, North of Dawn--- Nurundin Farah
?? By The Sea, Desertion--- Abdulrazak Gurnah
?? Turner of Silence, Confession of Lioness--- Mia Couto
?? Eve Out of Ruins--- Ananda Devi
?? Half of a Yellow Sun, Americanah, Purple Hibiscus--- Adichie
?? Open City--- Teju Cole
?? Yacuobian Builiding-- Alaa Al Aswany
?? Lyrics Alley, Minaret--- Leila Aboulela
?? Broken Glass, Black Moses, Tommorrow I'll be Twenty--- Alan Mabanckou, Tram 83-- Fiston Mujila
?? This Blinding Absence of Light, Happy Marriage--- Tahar Ben Jelloun, The Perfect Nanny-- Leila Slimani
?? The Fishermen, Orchestra of Minorities--- Chigozie Obioma
?? Homegoing--- Yaa Gyasi
?? On Black's Sister's Street--- Chika Unigwe, Stay With Me-- Ayo Adebayo, Born on Tuesday--- ElNathan John
?? Memory of Love--- Aminatta Forna
?? Wizard of the Crow--- Ngugi Wa Thiongo'o
?? Hairdresser of Harare--- Tendai Huchu, We Need New Names--- No Violet Bulawayo
?? Old Drift-- Namwali Serpell
?? Youth, Summertime, Elizabeth Costello--- J M Coetzee
?? General Theory of Oblivion, Book of Chamelons--- Jose Agalusa, Transparent City--- Ondjaki
?? In the Country of Men--- Hisham Matar, Anubis--- Ibrahim Al Koni
?? Philida--- Andre Brink, Bitterfruit-- Achmat Dangor
?? Dust-- Yvonne Adhambo Owuor
?? Scent of Marie--Claire-- Habib Selmi
?? An Arab Melancholia-- Abdelia Tahia, Moor's Account-- Leila Lalami

Ben Jackson

?? Secret of Babi Segi's Wives--- Lola Shoneyin, Season of Crimson Blossoms--- Abubakar Adam Ibrahim
?? Beneath the Lion's Gaze-- Maaza Mengiste
?? Orchard of Lost Souls, Black Mamba Boy-- Nadifa Mohammed
?? Secret Son, Other Americans--- Leila Lalami
?? Hidden Notebooks--- Boubacar Boris Diop
?? Book of Memory-- Petina Gappah
?? Double Negative, The Distance--- Ivan Vladislavic
?? Transit--- Abdourahman Waberi
?? Harare North--- Brian Chikawa
?? Kintu-- Jennifer Makumbi
?? Waiting for an Angel--- Helon Habila, Foreign Gods, Inc--- Okey Ndibe, Mr Fox--- Helen Oyeyemi, King's Rifle--- Biyi Bandele
?? Agaat--- Marlene Van Nierkwerk, Quiet Violence of Dreams--- Sello Duiker, David's Story--- Zoe Wicomb
?? Zaina--- Nawal El--Saadawi, Sunset Oasis--- Bahaa Taher
?? Ceremony Factory--- Kossi Efou
?? Beautiful Things that Heavens Bear, All Our Names--- Dinan Mengeste
?? Heart of Redness--- Zakes Mda
?? Travelling with Djinns--- Jamal Sudari
?? Swallows of Kabul--- Yasmina Khadra
?? Johnny Mad Dog--- Emmanuel Dongala
?? This Mournable Body--- Tstsi Dangaremgba
?? When the Plums are Ripe-- Patricia Nganang
?? Shadow King--- Maaza Mengiste
?? House of Stone--- Novuyo Tshuma
?? Under the Udala Trees--- Chinelo Okparanta, Graceland-- Chris Abani
?? Dying in New York-- Ekwuor Dukar
?? Happiness--- Aminatta Forna
?? Sexual Life of Islamist in Paris-- Leila Marmoune, Mersault Investigation--- Kamel Names
?? Last Flight of Flamingo-- Mia Couto
?? Dream Chasers--- Okwiri Odour
?? Crossbones--- Nurundinn Farah
?? Republic of False Truths--- Alaa Al Aswany
?? Everything Good'll Come--- Sefi Atta, Freshwater--- Akwaeke Emezi
?? Allah's Not Obliged--- Ahmadou Kourouma
?? Tail of Blue Bird-- Nii Ayikwei Parkes
?? Schooldays of Jesus--- J M Coetzee
?? Memoirs of Porcupine--- Alain Mabanckou

I haven't read the entire novels in this list, but I have read about 15 of them.

Last edited: