Authors photos

Liam

Administrator
^You gave it away, Stevie, :)

It's Tim O'Brien. I was made to read The Things They Carried for an AP English class in high school.

Stevie B

Current Member
^You gave it away, Stevie, :)

It's Tim O'Brien. I was made to read The Things They Carried for an AP English class in high school.
I knew I was revealing too much. By the way, should I infer from your "made to read" comment that you didn't enjoy the book?

Liam

Administrator
The scary thing is, I absolutely don't remember anything about it. So either I skipped pages and "half-assed" it in class, so to speak, or I just didn't find it all that memorable. I should add that novels (and films) about war aren't really my thing. I can appreciate the genre, but it fails to engage me on any level (which is weird, because non-fictional writings about war I have read and enjoyed many times in the past), ?‍♂️

Stevie B

Current Member
One other note, other than his pictures in Vietnam (when he had a full head of hair), I've never seen a photo of Tim O'Brien without a cap (even when he's wearing a suit and tie). In a perverse kind of way, I think that is quite revealing.

1655650558118.png 1655650612116.png 1655651116667.png 1655650654564.png 1655650785769.png 1655650724391.png

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
The scary thing is, I absolutely don't remember anything about it. So either I skipped pages and "half-assed" it in class, so to speak, or I just didn't find it all that memorable. I should add that novels (and films) about war aren't really my thing. I can appreciate the genre, but it fails to engage me on any level (which is weird, because non-fictional writings about war I have read and enjoyed many times in the past), ?‍♂️
My son read The Thing They Carried for his AP English class a few years back, so it has had staying power (it was first published in 1990). An interesting thing about the book for me is figuring out how it should be classified. O'Brien toys with readers to determine whether they're reading fiction or non-fiction. He also suggests that there's often more truth in fiction.

tiganeasca

Oh, by the way, Stevie, with respect to the other photo I posted: not a young Solzhenitsyn. Not Soseki. In fact, Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski, who also looks more familiar with a beard.

1655656216858.png

Stevie B

Current Member
Not a photo, but an illustration and a trivia question. Which author was featured by Google earlier this year on what would have been his 90th birthday? Not an easy question, but I'll throw in a hint or two later, if necessary (though there's already a big one that can be found in the illustration).
1694738884818.png

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Not a photo, but an illustration and a trivia question. Which author was featured by Google earlier this year on what would have been his 90th birthday? Not an easy question, but I'll throw in a hint or two later, if necessary (though there's already a big one that can be found in the illustration).
I haven't been overwhelmed with guesses, so I suppose I should offer a couple of hints.
#1 - You can see in the illustration he is writing right to left.
#2 - He is best known for a trilogy of novels.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Good guess. Though the author did spend some time in Egypt, he was not Egyptian (not that I want to open that can of worms :)). By the way, I just noticed that the trilogy I cited earlier is actually a quintet.

Here is part of his wikipedia page:

"___________________________ was a novelist, short story writer, memoirist, journalist, thinker, and cultural critic. He is considered one of the most significant authors in the Arabic language of the 20th century. His novels include strong political elements as well as mockeries of the Middle Eastern elite classes."

It's not surprising that many of his books were banned in the Middle East.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
FYI Stevie, I cheated and clicked on the footnote (in blue) which took me to the author's Wiki page, ?

But.

I won't say who it is, although you will want to remove it.

Liam

Administrator
Even though I hate smoking I can't seem to get over men with a cigarette in their mouth, I wonder what Dr Freud would say about that, ?

Bulgakov.jpeg