Authors photos

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
"1. If you're unsure who this author is, take a Pole. (Love this hipster pic!)"

I still can't figure who this can be. Any guess?

Stevie B

Current Member
"1. If you're unsure who this author is, take a Pole. (Love this hipster pic!)"

I still can't figure who this can be. Any guess?

It's Tadeusz Konwicki, an author I've yet to read. Anyone have any thoughts regarding a good starting point?

Liam

Administrator
I'm in love with this early photo of Tranströmer, used on the cover of the German edition of Memories Look at Me--

Tomas T.jpg

Ben Jackson

I'll usually opt for a depressing novel over a happily-ever-after book, so your description of Wide Sargasso Sea is intriguing. I remember stumbling onto Rhys' books as a grad student, though I never read any as part of a course. I wish I had. I don't know much about Rhys' life, but I'd guess her story is an interesting one as I've seen her categorized as both a British and a Caribbean author. In my previous post, I mentioned my fondness for Rhys' novel Quartet. I just discovered it's also an early Merchant and Ivory film. It's not particularly well-reviewed, but I'm still eager to watch it. By the way, am I the only one who finds this author photo mesmerizing?
View attachment 1157

Aside from say Woolf and Plath, this is one of the most beautiful writers I've seen. Maybe we should create a thread on beautiful female writers. What do you guys think?

Stevie B

Current Member
Aside from say Woolf and Plath, this is one of the most beautiful writers I've seen. Maybe we should create a thread on beautiful female writers. What do you guys think?
An "Authors Photos" thread already exists. You could post there or create a new own. By the way, I used to be smitten with Siri Hustvedt and thought her husband Paul Auster was a very lucky man, as he appeared to be many years her senior (perhaps old enough to be her father). I just checked, though, and was surprised to learn that the difference in age is only seven years. o_O
1655379203645.png

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
@Leseratte: Yes, let's not discriminate, shall we??? :)

My vote for the most attractive writer ever has already gone to the young Jack Kerouac, I think.

@Stevie B: So, what you're saying is that Auster just happens to look like shit!! ?

Stevie B

Current Member
@Stevie B: So, what you're saying is that Auster just happens to look like shit!! ?
On a positive note, I'll say Siri Hustvedt looks much younger than her biological age (though I do think that Auster, like singer Willie Nelson, looked older when he was younger). At least he's not the lecher I originally thought he might be, and it's nice to see the couple has now been married for over 40 years.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Well, I for one have always thought Wallace Stegner a pretty good looking guy--though I think we're beginning to get a little too far afield from the actual topic of the thread. :rolleyes:

wallace_stegner.jpg

Liam

Administrator
On a different note, I find the young French writer Edouard Louis absolutely adorable(-looking), :)

I became interested in him shortly after his novel History of Violence won some prize or other, but the subject matter sounded SO visceral that, at the time, I didn't think I'd had the mental wherewithal to tackle it. Might give him another chance soon!

Edouard Louis.jpg

Bartleby

On a different note, I find the young French writer Edouard Louis absolutely adorable(-looking), :)

I became interested in him shortly after his novel History of Violence won some prize or other, but the subject matter sounded SO visceral that, at the time, I didn't think I'd had the mental wherewithal to tackle it. Might give him another chance soon!

View attachment 1170
he does look adorable! never stopped to google him. I don't mind visceral writing, but I remember once taking a look at his books and the style seemed too... simple? ordinary? IDK. maybe it's just one of those cases where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. I sure hope it is. has anyone read him?

tiganeasca

Take a stroll down memory lane...go back to page one of this thread and take your time. There are 22 pages of pictures awaiting your perusal. And there are some, um, interesting pictures!

tiganeasca

If I were to post an image of these gentlemen as "mature" men, thye would be instantly recognizable. But as young men, perhaps not so much. (Too bad they don't have cats in their arms, but we can't have everything....)

1655486265183.png 1655487523662.png

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
If I were to post an image of the mature man, he would be instantly recognizable. But as a young man, perhaps not so much. (Too bad he doesn't have a cat in his arms, but we can't have everything....)

View attachment 1185
My first reaction was that it could be a young Solzhenitsyn. Then I read your clue, and I thought it could be Natsume Soseki. Unfortunately, it doesn't look anything like Soseki in his older years. Now, I can't even decide whether or not the guy in the picture is Asian. ?‍♂️