Brazilian Literature

Benny Profane

I'd like to instill 4 new names (I think my dear @Leseratte know these names below):

1) Judith Grossmann;
2) Cyro de Mattos;
3) Ildásio Tavares;
4) Marcos Santarrita

Do you know them, my dear?

The late Judith Grossmann was a former professor on UFBA (Federal University of Bahia) and wrote some novels such as "Meu Amigo Proust" and "Fausto Mefisto".

Cyro de Mattos was a writer from Itabuna, the same city of Jorge Amado.

Ildásio Tavares was a distinct poet of Tropicália.

Marcos Santarrita was a translator of Don DeLilo, Erick Hobsbawn and many others.

Last edited:

Leseratte

S
I'd like to instill 4 new names (I think my dear @Leseratte know these names below):

1) Judith Grossmann;
2) Cyro de Mattos;
3) Ildásio Tavares;
4) Marcos Santarrita

Do you know them, my dear?

The late Judith Grossmann was a former professor on UFBA (Federal University of Bahia) and wrote some novels such as "Meu Amigo Proust" and "Fausto Mefisto".

Cyro de Mattos was a writer from Itabuna, the same city of Jorge Amado.

Ildásio Tavares was a distinct poet of Tropicália.

Marcos Santarrita was a translator of Don DeLilo, Erick Hobsbawn and many others.
Sadly no, Benny! I may have heard the name of Cyro de Mattos and I knew a German teacher called Grossmann, but as he lived or lives in Sa I dont know if there is any connection.
Very interesting article about books I've never heard of but now need to investigate:

New Translations Explore Brazil’s ‘Endless and Unfinished’ Character

Two translations bring canonical works by Mário de Andrade into English, allowing a glimpse into the author’s “problematic sense of belonging.”

"Mário de Andrade’s novel “Macunaíma: The Hero With No Character” follows a shape-shifting, rule-flouting, race-switching trickster as he roams the vast nation of Brazil, meeting historical characters, folkloric figures, and outrageously satirized stereotypes along the way.

Rich with words and references from Indigenous and Afro-Brazilian cultures, the modernist novel was hailed as a classic upon its publication in 1928, and has long been seen as an allegory for Brazil’s unique cultural blend. Faced with criticism of the book’s uncredited reliance on anthropological research, Andrade offered up, in an open letter, a typically insouciant response: “I copied Brazil.”
Some scholars have deemed the book’s complexity virtually untranslatable — but this week, New Directions published a new translation of “Macunaíma” by Katrina Dodson that aims to transport Andrade’s idiosyncratic prose into English....

A more personal register is on full display in “The Apprentice Tourist,” the first translation of another Andrade book by Flora Thomson-DeVeaux that was also published this week by Penguin Classics. Compiled from notes Andrade made during his first trip to the Amazon shortly before “Macunaíma” was released, “The Apprentice Tourist” shows Andrade’s fascination with Amazonian cultures — and his utter boredom with the government officials and elites who welcomed the group of travelers along the way."

Tiga, I posted a very good film version of Macunaima in two different threads. One of them, I think in the Mario de Andrade thread, the other one I don't remember. But the cc are in French. The other book I never heard about, so thanks for the interesting article.

Benny Profane

Well, I've recently discovered that Jean Wyllys, former professor on some universities in my city, former subcelebrity on Big Brother Brazil, former Brazilian congressman after getting rid himself of the label of "former BBB" and arch enemy of Bolsonaro, published a book of short stories 20 years ago by Fundação Casa de Jorge Amado.
My late father was on the shortlist twice (if I'm not mistaken) of that prize but never won.

Wyllys' first book, "Aflitos", is very rare and impossible to find it here. Fortunalety, there are 2 copies on Library of Federal University.
I was curious about this book after I read those short stories in English.

I don't know if the translator did a good translation, but these stories are very good.

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Sadly no, Benny! I may have heard the name of Cyro de Mattos and I knew a German teacher called Grossmann, but as he lived or lives in Sa I dont know if there is any connection.
Yes, she was former professor of UFBA.

Her PhD thesis: https://repositorio.ufba.br/bitstream/ri/29292/4/Tese Judith Grossmann.pdf

A book on her's works: https://repositorio.ufba.br/bitstream/ri/24147/1/Visitacoes a obra literaria de judith grossmann_RI.pdf

An anthology of short stories from Bahia: http://www.uesc.br/editora/sumarios/antologia_parnoramica_conto_baiano.pdf

Last edited:

Leseratte

Well, I've recently discovered that Jean Wyllys, former professor on some universities in my city, former subcelebrity on Big Brother Brazil, former Brazilian congressman after getting rid himself of the label of "former BBB" and arch enemy of Bolsonaro, published a book of short stories 20 years ago by Fundação Casa de Jorge Amado.
My late father was on the shortlist twice (if I'm not mistaken) of that prize but never won.

Wyllys' first book, "Aflitos", is very rare and impossible to find it here. Fortunalety, there are 2 copies on Library of Federal University.
I was curious about this book after I read those short stories in English.

I don't know if the translator did a good translation, but those stories are very good.

Thanks, Benny. I´ve been following a bit the developments of the career of Jean Wyllys but I didn´t know anything about that book.

tiganeasca

As part of the New York Times continuing series from around the world, today's installment is:

Read Your Way Through Salvador

By Itamar Vieira Junior and translated by Johnny Lorenz
July 19, 2023

I was born in Salvador, in the Brazilian state of Bahia, and lived in the general vicinity until I reached the age of 15. But it was when I left that I really came to know my city. How was I able to discover more about my birthplace while traveling far from home? It might sound rather clichéd but, I assure you, literature made this possible: It took me on a journey, long and profound, back home, enveloping me in words and imagination.

A frequent visitor to public libraries, I discovered the books of Jorge Amado. I already knew something of Amado, not from reading him but because he was an omnipresent figure in the cultural life of Salvador. Stepping into the world of his novels began a great love affair, for two reasons: I experienced the power of writing in the hands of a capable narrator — one who captivates us and brings us to the heart of the story — and, later, I recognized myself as one of Amado’s protagonists, for his books are inhabited by the people of my community.

Salvador was the first capital of Brazil, founded in 1549 as part of the Portuguese colonial project in the Americas. In the Salvador of yesteryear, one would find Europeans, mostly Portuguese and Dutch, as well as Indigenous peoples, especially the Tupinambá. Many different ethnicities from Africa were also represented, such as the Yoruba, with roots in Nigeria, Benin (previously Dahomey) and Togo, as well as the Bantu people of the Republic of Congo and Angola. With spirit and creativity, the inheritors of the African diaspora — a large majority, since about 80 percent of the current population of Salvador self-identifies as Afro-Brazilian — fashioned the rich and beautiful cultural life of the city, making Salvador a living monument to African cultures in the Americas.

What should I read before I pack?
To understand the formation of our unique society and, consequently, the cityscape of Salvador, one should read, before anything else, “The Story of Rufino: Slavery, Freedom and Islam in the Black Atlantic,” by João José Reis, Flávio dos Santos Gomes and Marcus J.M. de Carvalho. Rufino was an alufá, or Muslim spiritual leader, born in the Oyo empire in present-day Nigeria and enslaved during his adolescence. “The Story of Rufino” is an epic tale, encapsulating the life of one man in search of freedom as well as the history of the development of Salvador itself, a place inextricably linked with the diaspora across the Black Atlantic.

Another book for which I have deep affection is “The City of Women,” by the American anthropologist Ruth Landes. It offers an intriguing perspective, focusing on matriarchal power in candomblé, an Afro-Brazilian sacred practice, and revealing how the social organization of its spiritual communities reverberates across the city.

What books or authors should I bring?
If you want to feel the intensity of life on the streets of Salvador, these two books, both by Amado, are indispensable: “Captains of the Sands” and “Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands.” The first is a coming-of-age story in which we follow a group of children and adolescents living on the streets and on the beaches around the Bay of All Saints. Written more than 80 years ago, the book was banned and even burned in the public square during the dictatorship of Getúlio Vargas in the first half of the 20th century. As a portrait of Salvador, it is still relevant and reveals our deep inequalities.

“Dona Flor and her Two Husbands” is one of Amado’s most popular novels, translated into more than 30 languages and adapted many times for theater, cinema and television. One of the most well-known adaptations is the film “Kiss Me Goodbye” (1982), directed by Robert Mulligan, for which Sally Field earned a Golden Globe nomination. The book is a kind of manifesto for a woman’s liberation. Dona Flor possesses great culinary talent and, oppressed by a patriarchal society, finds herself divided between two men, one being her deceased husband. While the novel captures the daily life of the city in the 1940s, it is also a wonderful guide to the cuisine of Salvador, with its African and Portuguese influences.

If I have no time for day trips, what books can take me out of the city instead?
I invite readers to travel into the interior of Brazil, many hours by car, from Salvador, to the region known as the Sertão, whose name translates loosely to “backwoods.” Two books can also transport you there, and they are sides of the same story: “Backlands: The Canudos Campaign,” by Euclides da Cunha, and “The War of the End of the World,” by Mario Vargas Llosa.

“Backlands” is one of the most important works in the history of Brazilian literature. It is a journalistic telling that introduces us not only to the brutal War of Canudos but also to the intriguing landscape of the Sertão, a place so full of contradictions. In his writing of the conflict, da Cunha tells the story of the genesis of the tough sertanejo: a mythic, cowboy-esque figure of the drought-stricken, lawless interior.

“The War of the End of the World” is an essential epic that amplifies the narrative of “Backlands,” bringing a more imaginative, creative aspect to the story of Antônio Conselheiro, the spiritual leader of a rebellion, and of the multitude that followed him to their deaths.

What books can take me behind closed doors and show me hidden facets of the city?
“Selling Black Brazil: Race, Nation and Visual Culture in Salvador, Bahia,” by Anadelia A. Romo, demolishes the myth of racial democracy in Brazil. It also reveals that, while Afro-Brazilian culture is often celebrated, the recognition has not led to substantive changes for the country’s Black population.

Which writer is everyone in town talking about?
They’re still talking about Amado, as well as João Ubaldo Ribeiro, but to my embarrassment — I’m painfully shy — they’ve been talking about me.

What literary names might I see on street signs, statues or monuments?
You’ll find statues of Amado and his wife, the writer and photographer Zélia Gattai, in the neighborhood of Rio Vermelho, where they lived, and there’s an avenue named after Amado as well. At the Porto da Barra, there’s a monument to the Austrian writer Stefan Zweig, who fell in love with Salvador. And the most famous public square in the city is named after an abolitionist poet of the 19th century: Antônio Frederico de Castro Alves.

What audiobooks would make for good company on walks?
After the Nobel Committee for Literature recognized Bob Dylan, the dividing line between music and literature became even more diluted, so I won’t indicate an audiobook, exactly, but an album by Caetano Veloso: “Transa,” which was recorded while he was living in exile in London and includes songs in English. Today, the album is considered a classic.

What’s a good place to curl up with a book on a day off?
Salvador is on a peninsula and has 31 miles of beaches, any of which could be the ideal place to do some reading while enjoying fresh coconut water beneath a beach umbrella. I’ve gone through so many books this way, burying my feet in the sand, when I’m not diving into the warm waters or simply feeling the ocean breeze, constant and refreshing.

What literary pilgrimage would you recommend? And which might be less known?
One cherished pilgrimage site is the Memorial a Casa do Rio Vermelho, where Amado and Gattai lived until their deaths. It’s a simple house, really, but still so inspiring for all the history it possesses.

A place less frequented, I believe, but one of my favorites, is Ribeira — a neighborhood blessed by the calm waters of the bay — which appears in Gilberto Gil’s song “Domingo No Parque.” There, you’ll find the city’s best ice cream, with flavors of tropical fruit like pitanga (Surinam cherry) and mangaba.

Benny Profane

Thank you, Dave, for this report.

I'd like to tell about an awful event happened 15 days ago.

Recently, it occured a violent strife among Itamar Vieira Júnior, José Agualusa (the Angolan writer) and Lígia G. Diniz (Brazilian critic).
Diniz had a strong critic about his new book, "Salvar o Fogo", and Vieira Júnior claimed that her was a racist person due her critics. She said that Viera Júnior's new book is full of manichaeism.
To answer her, he matched up herself as Vinícus Júnior, the Brazilian star who plays in Real Madrid due the events on La Liga, the Spanish Football League.

Agualusa intruded on this strife and said that Vieira Júnior ought to accept the critics and he ought not to silence the critics.

After, Vieira Júnior said on an interview that Agualusa did "whitesplanning" about this event.
Agualusa, on the other hand, called Itamar as a "neoimperialist".

This discussion was to social media and the "fandoms" and "militants" started to fight theirselves threatning themselves of rape and death.

Sad!

Last edited:

Leseratte

Thank you, Dave, for this report.

I'd like to tell about an awful event happened 15 days ago.

Recently, it occured a violent strife among Itamar Vieira Júnior, José Agualusa (the Angolan writer) and Lígia G. Diniz (Brazilian critic).
Diniz had a strong critic about his new book, "Salvar o Fogo", and Vieira Júnior claimed that her was a racist person due her critics. She said that Viera Júnior's new book is full of manichaeism.
To answer her, he matched up herself as Vinícus Júnior, the Brazilian star who plays in Real Madrid due the events on La Liga, the Spanish Football League.

Agualusa intruded on this strife and said that Vieira Júnior ought to accept the critics and he ought not to silence the critics.

After, Vieira Júnior said on an interview that Agualusa did "whitesplanning" about this event.
Agualusa, on the other hand, called Itamar as a "neoimperialist".

This discussion was to social media and the "fandoms" and "militants" started to fight theirselves threatning of rape and death.

Sad!
Benny, where did you watch this discussion? Is there a link outside the social nets, where one can watch it?

Leseratte

As part of the New York Times continuing series from around the world, today's installment is:

Read Your Way Through Salvador

By Itamar Vieira Junior and translated by Johnny Lorenz
July 19, 2023

I was born in Salvador, in the Brazilian state of Bahia, and lived in the general vicinity until I reached the age of 15. But it was when I left that I really came to know my city. How was I able to discover more about my birthplace while traveling far from home? It might sound rather clichéd but, I assure you, literature made this possible: It took me on a journey, long and profound, back home, enveloping me in words and imagination.

A frequent visitor to public libraries, I discovered the books of Jorge Amado. I already knew something of Amado, not from reading him but because he was an omnipresent figure in the cultural life of Salvador. Stepping into the world of his novels began a great love affair, for two reasons: I experienced the power of writing in the hands of a capable narrator — one who captivates us and brings us to the heart of the story — and, later, I recognized myself as one of Amado’s protagonists, for his books are inhabited by the people of my community.

Salvador was the first capital of Brazil, founded in 1549 as part of the Portuguese colonial project in the Americas. In the Salvador of yesteryear, one would find Europeans, mostly Portuguese and Dutch, as well as Indigenous peoples, especially the Tupinambá. Many different ethnicities from Africa were also represented, such as the Yoruba, with roots in Nigeria, Benin (previously Dahomey) and Togo, as well as the Bantu people of the Republic of Congo and Angola. With spirit and creativity, the inheritors of the African diaspora — a large majority, since about 80 percent of the current population of Salvador self-identifies as Afro-Brazilian — fashioned the rich and beautiful cultural life of the city, making Salvador a living monument to African cultures in the Americas.

What should I read before I pack?
To understand the formation of our unique society and, consequently, the cityscape of Salvador, one should read, before anything else, “The Story of Rufino: Slavery, Freedom and Islam in the Black Atlantic,” by João José Reis, Flávio dos Santos Gomes and Marcus J.M. de Carvalho. Rufino was an alufá, or Muslim spiritual leader, born in the Oyo empire in present-day Nigeria and enslaved during his adolescence. “The Story of Rufino” is an epic tale, encapsulating the life of one man in search of freedom as well as the history of the development of Salvador itself, a place inextricably linked with the diaspora across the Black Atlantic.

Another book for which I have deep affection is “The City of Women,” by the American anthropologist Ruth Landes. It offers an intriguing perspective, focusing on matriarchal power in candomblé, an Afro-Brazilian sacred practice, and revealing how the social organization of its spiritual communities reverberates across the city.

What books or authors should I bring?
If you want to feel the intensity of life on the streets of Salvador, these two books, both by Amado, are indispensable: “Captains of the Sands” and “Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands.” The first is a coming-of-age story in which we follow a group of children and adolescents living on the streets and on the beaches around the Bay of All Saints. Written more than 80 years ago, the book was banned and even burned in the public square during the dictatorship of Getúlio Vargas in the first half of the 20th century. As a portrait of Salvador, it is still relevant and reveals our deep inequalities.

“Dona Flor and her Two Husbands” is one of Amado’s most popular novels, translated into more than 30 languages and adapted many times for theater, cinema and television. One of the most well-known adaptations is the film “Kiss Me Goodbye” (1982), directed by Robert Mulligan, for which Sally Field earned a Golden Globe nomination. The book is a kind of manifesto for a woman’s liberation. Dona Flor possesses great culinary talent and, oppressed by a patriarchal society, finds herself divided between two men, one being her deceased husband. While the novel captures the daily life of the city in the 1940s, it is also a wonderful guide to the cuisine of Salvador, with its African and Portuguese influences.

If I have no time for day trips, what books can take me out of the city instead?
I invite readers to travel into the interior of Brazil, many hours by car, from Salvador, to the region known as the Sertão, whose name translates loosely to “backwoods.” Two books can also transport you there, and they are sides of the same story: “Backlands: The Canudos Campaign,” by Euclides da Cunha, and “The War of the End of the World,” by Mario Vargas Llosa.

“Backlands” is one of the most important works in the history of Brazilian literature. It is a journalistic telling that introduces us not only to the brutal War of Canudos but also to the intriguing landscape of the Sertão, a place so full of contradictions. In his writing of the conflict, da Cunha tells the story of the genesis of the tough sertanejo: a mythic, cowboy-esque figure of the drought-stricken, lawless interior.

“The War of the End of the World” is an essential epic that amplifies the narrative of “Backlands,” bringing a more imaginative, creative aspect to the story of Antônio Conselheiro, the spiritual leader of a rebellion, and of the multitude that followed him to their deaths.

What books can take me behind closed doors and show me hidden facets of the city?
“Selling Black Brazil: Race, Nation and Visual Culture in Salvador, Bahia,” by Anadelia A. Romo, demolishes the myth of racial democracy in Brazil. It also reveals that, while Afro-Brazilian culture is often celebrated, the recognition has not led to substantive changes for the country’s Black population.

Which writer is everyone in town talking about?
They’re still talking about Amado, as well as João Ubaldo Ribeiro, but to my embarrassment — I’m painfully shy — they’ve been talking about me.

What literary names might I see on street signs, statues or monuments?
You’ll find statues of Amado and his wife, the writer and photographer Zélia Gattai, in the neighborhood of Rio Vermelho, where they lived, and there’s an avenue named after Amado as well. At the Porto da Barra, there’s a monument to the Austrian writer Stefan Zweig, who fell in love with Salvador. And the most famous public square in the city is named after an abolitionist poet of the 19th century: Antônio Frederico de Castro Alves.

What audiobooks would make for good company on walks?
After the Nobel Committee for Literature recognized Bob Dylan, the dividing line between music and literature became even more diluted, so I won’t indicate an audiobook, exactly, but an album by Caetano Veloso: “Transa,” which was recorded while he was living in exile in London and includes songs in English. Today, the album is considered a classic.

What’s a good place to curl up with a book on a day off?
Salvador is on a peninsula and has 31 miles of beaches, any of which could be the ideal place to do some reading while enjoying fresh coconut water beneath a beach umbrella. I’ve gone through so many books this way, burying my feet in the sand, when I’m not diving into the warm waters or simply feeling the ocean breeze, constant and refreshing.

What literary pilgrimage would you recommend? And which might be less known?
One cherished pilgrimage site is the Memorial a Casa do Rio Vermelho, where Amado and Gattai lived until their deaths. It’s a simple house, really, but still so inspiring for all the history it possesses.

A place less frequented, I believe, but one of my favorites, is Ribeira — a neighborhood blessed by the calm waters of the bay — which appears in Gilberto Gil’s song “Domingo No Parque.” There, you’ll find the city’s best ice cream, with flavors of tropical fruit like pitanga (Surinam cherry) and mangaba.
What called my attention is, that in the part of fiction he mentioned only the authors of Bahia the readers know already: Jorge Amado, João Ubaldo Ribeiro, Zélia Gatai, who comes from São Paulo and himself as an recent author. He had, of course, an foreign readership in mind, that´s why it all sounds a bit as a foreigners tourist guide. And, I believe therefore, the film he suggest is none of the two Brazilian ones, but an American version. One of my favorite films of all times is the first version by Bruno Barreto, with Sônia Braga as Dona Flor and José Wilker (deceased) as Vadinho.

Leseratte

Thanks, Benny!

Thanks, Benny!
Found a quite extensive reading proof of "Salvar o Fogo" in Portuguese. Read 50 % of it. Interesting so far and well written but too early to give my opinion about the book.

Benny Profane

Found a quite extensive reading proof of "Salvar o Fogo" in Portuguese. Read 50 % of it. Interesting so far and well written but too early to give my opinion about the book.

Leseratte

Ingenious article, Benny, but what for me the whole sad episode illustrates once more is the fragility of Brazilian intellectual life. The article of the critic seemed pondered to me, she knew where she was treading. More I can't say on the book itself as yet, having read only some chapters of it.
Because of the immense (and in my opinion deserved) enormous success of Torto Arado, Vieira, who had to conquer his paht to fame, seems sadly have become so used to praise that he is wholly intolerant to any criticism that is not entirely positive. And in these current sectarian times the word "racism " has had its meaning so far stretched that it often becomes a weapon brandished in whatever sort of disagreeable situation occurs between persons of different races.
But I think that literature can often be greater than its writer and I think that's the case here at least in regard to Torto Arado. The novel depicts archaic aspects of Brazil, to my knowledge not touched on before. Therefore I intend to read his books as long as they bring something new.

Leseratte

Plínio Marcos' complete works (unfortunately in Portuguese):

Volume I: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-1-atras-desses-muros/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=11&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/
Volume II: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-2-noites-sujas/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=12&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/
Volume III: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-3-pomba-roxa/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=13&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/
Volume IV: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-4-religiosidade-subversiva/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=14&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/
Volume V: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-5-no-reino-da-banalidade/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=15&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/
Volume VI: https://sistema.funarte.gov.br/tainacan/edicoes-online/plinio-marcos-obras-teatrais-volume-6-roda-de-samba-roda-dos-bichos/?order=ASC&orderby=date&perpage=12&pos=16&source_list=collection&ref=/tainacan/edicoes-online/

Revista Teresa (Teresa Magazine): https://www.revistas.usp.br/teresa/issue/archive

All these links are in Public Domain (Funarte is the Brazilian public agency who promotes Arts in Brazil and USP is the University of São Paulo).
Thanks, Benny!I wanted to look for the older editions of Teresa, but was too lazy! New avatar?

As for Plínio Marcos, you found a gem there for everyone that reads portuguese.. I had a quick look at volume I, the collection seems to cover all his oeuvre, organized and commented by Prof Alcir Pécora. The name is just a vague remembrance to me, but he belongs to the older generation, so the collection ought to be good. And the collection is free for download, with rights negotiated with the author himself. He is one of our most important playwrights in the wake of the harsh social criticism of Nelson Rodrigues.
Fun fact: I once met Plínio Marcos. He gave a Tarot course here in São Paulo and I enrolled in it.

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Thanks, Benny!I wanted to look for the older editions of Teresa, but was too lazy! New avatar?

As for Plínio Marcos, you found a gem there for everyone that reads portuguese.. I had a quick look at volume I, the collection seems to cover all his oeuvre, organized and commented by Prof Alcir Pécora. The name is just a vague remembrance to me, but he belongs to the older generation, so the collection ought to be good. And the collection is free for download, with rights negotiated with the author himself. He is one of our most important playwrights in the wake of the harsh social criticism of Nelson Rodrigues.
Fun fact: I once met Plínio Marcos. He gave a Tarot course here in São Paulo and I enrolled in it.
Plínio Marcos and Alejandro Jodorowski have strong similiarity then. LOL!

Alcir Pécora is an essayist and professor. He annoted and organized another editions by Funarte.

About my avatar, yes! Our dear João Cabral de Melo Neto in his Rodin's pose. Iconic photography!