Good Looking Writers

Uemarasan

Reader
We are talking exclusively about literary writers, right? Because quite a handful of celebrities would make the claim that they are “writers” with a very generous understanding of the word…
View attachment 1174

Mieko Kawakami. She wrote "Heaven", a painful novel about two teenagers going through bullying in a Japanese middle school.
I agree about Mieko Kawakami. I also love her sense of style. She is so chic.
BA1A70E8-6465-4BB5-9422-122CD926E086.png

For my money, Frank Norris is the foxiest novelist in American literature.

This is a dangerous topic for me, as I have a “type” and I am likely to bore you all blind. ?

6FCBECF2-B679-48BD-B8F4-2DD458E5501E.jpegEFC8EDFB-F0B1-40D1-BB7B-2E7682BE217D.jpeg

I’ll allow myself one more at the moment, as he is much more obscure: the French novelist Roger Nimier (1925-1962). Died in a car crash at age 35 (those French and autos, I don’t know). Co-founder of the anti-existentialist movement, the Hussards, after Nimier’s novel The Blue Hussar, one of two books of his to make it into English (the other is non-fiction, The Versailles I Love). I would like to know more about Nimier. There is a prize named for him, still given: “An award that rewards a young author whose spirit is in line with the literary work of Roger Nimier.”

4FF1C4F9-A128-4038-851C-6F9764024635.jpeg

Well, I’ve only read one, Adrienne Mesurat. It was very impressive, albeit a downer. I just posted about it an hour ago in the Green thread.

Oh, The Octopus, definitely. Such a fantastic book.

Among the rest, Blix is really charming, a turn-of-the-century rom-com, and I rate the bleak Vandover and the Brute much more highly than most people. Moran of the Lady Letty is an entertaining potboiler. I haven’t read A Man’s Woman or The Pit yet (but soon!).

It is puzzling to me that no one has ever seen fit to make a proper movie adaptation of The Octopus (there was a 1915 short, now lost). The book is so intensely proto-cinematic.