Hungarian Literature

W

Worldeater

You've certainly intrigued me. I've just checked out the online catalogue of my library and I see that there are two other book by him available. Do you recommend his other novels as well? I'll definately borrow the "Journey..." though.

Unfortunately thats the only book i've read by him,i would recommend you "Eternal philistine" by Ödön von Horváth,he can't be really classified as hungarian literature i guess but i noticed some similarities with "Journey by moonlight" and aforementioned book.

Yes. It's great fun to read, and no doubt was great fun for Szerb to write, and whilst I'm glad to have come upon it it isn't memorable and certainly isn't a deathless classic.

Thanks,just as i thought,probably will give it a try...

W

Worldeater

Can someone recommend me some hungarian writers similar to Dezső Kosztolányi? I should pick up "Embers" soon.

Liam

Administrator
A new reprint of a somewhat outdated study of the Hungarian countess Erzsebet Bathory is being released in June; sounds bloody-yummy for those that like that sort of thing, :p:

"Descended from one of the most ancient aristocratic families of Europe, Erzsébet Báthory bore the psychotic aberrations of centuries of intermarriage. From adolescence she indulged in sadistic lesbian fantasies, where only the spilling of a woman's blood could satisfy her urges. By middle age, she had regressed to a mirror-fixated state of pathological necro-sadism involving witchcraft, torture, blood-drinking, cannibalism and, inevitably, wholesale slaughter.

These years, at the end of the 16th century, witnessed a reign of cruelty unsurpassed in the annals of mass murder, with the Countess's depredations on the virgin girls of the Carpathians leading to some 650 deaths. Her many castles were equipped with chambers where she would hideously torture and mutilate her victims, becoming a murder factory where hundreds of girls were killed and processed for the ultimate, youth-giving ritual: the bath of blood."

One of the characters in Eli Roth's film Hostel, Part II is supposedly based on her.

This short (155 pages) biography was originally published in French by Valentine Penrose (1898-1978), and was translated into English by Alexander Trocchi, a British "erotic" novelist and heroin-addict.

Last edited:
W

Worldeater

Just started to read Gyula Krúdy-Adventures of Sindbad.

Eric

Former Member
Like Hari Kunzru, I don't get it either. Why Hungarian, and why does the Crazy Hawkeye and George Shirts team almost dominate the whole scene? It think that the publishers need another fad, for when the Scandinavian crime novel craze (aka Nerdic Noir) fizzles out.

Kunzru wrote:

Krasznahorkai spoke in English, a language he used lyrically, if not always comprehensibly, informing the enraptured audience that his famously long, convoluted sentences are completely conceptualized in his head before he writes them down, and offering the opinion that the full stop "doesn't belong to human beings, it belongs to God", which is why he doesn't much care for paragraph breaks.

Good on you, Kunny.

Liam

Administrator
I think this thing may have been overblown, as always. It was just ONE venue. If LK was to show up in NY once, obviously every American fan of his would be sure to come, giving the impression that, omg, this thing is huge. I haven't seen copies of Satantango lying about any of the major bookstores in NYC though, and I browsed through a three-storey bookstore in Boston prior to my departure on Fri, and surprise surprise, not a whiff of LK or Peter Nadas.

tiganeasca

Given the number of Hungarian authors we have discussed--which is really fairly impressive--I was a little surprised that it took me a minute to unearth this thread dedicated to Hungarian literature. In any event, I wanted to mention a website that I have looked into occasionally over the years: Hungarian Literature Online. It has a number of tabs, including one for new work, which always includes poetry as well as excerpts from fiction. There are also tabs for news, interviews, reviews, and portraits as well. (The "Litera" tab takes you to another website, which appears to be a sister website also devoted to Hungarian literature, but entirely in Magyar with no English option availble.) All in English, so you don't need to brush up your Magyar. ;)

Liam

Administrator
Never heard of this writer, but he seems exciting: Szilárd Borbély (1963-2014). His books deal "with subjects like grief, memory and trauma." Committed suicide at 51. New book is getting released in English soon.

Ben Jackson

Hungarian writers to read (if I have time, have only read two books of Kertesz and a book by Krasz):

Nadas
Esterhaszy
Sandor Marai
Banffy
George Konrad
Juhasz
Sandor Weores
Mazda Szabo
Agota Kristof
Antilla Josef
Antilla Barthis

And some books like Edes Anna.

Benny Profane

What about him, guys?

Has anyone read him? https://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/sandor-petofi/

Should I buy it?

Who was Karl Polanyi? This insanely priced book, the first of its kind in English, will tell you.

After almost 12 years, I have the answer ?: Karl Polanyi was one of the most distinguished and influential thinkers who combined analysis of Economics, History of Economics Thought, Sociology and Philosophy.
His groundbreaking book The Great Transformation was a pivotal work on Economic Analysis of Capitalism and its crises.

Ben Jackson

What about him, guys?

Has anyone read him? https://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/sandor-petofi/

Should I buy it?

After almost 12 years, I have the answer ?: Karl Polanyi was one of the most distinguished and influential thinkers who combined analysis of Economics, History of Economics Thought, Sociology and Philosophy.
His groundbreaking book The Great Transformation was a pivotal work on Economic Analysis of Capitalism and its crises.
Didn't Polanyi win the Nobel Prize for Economics? I remember seeing someone like him among the winners.