Indian Literature

Stevie B

Current Member
High praise from Suketu Mehta for Vivek Shanbhag. He called him "an Indian Chekhov". Might be worth checking out, Jayan.

tiganeasca

Interesting list; thanks for sharing. I see that Perumal Murugan's profile seems to be rising as well. It's somewhat odd to see Umrao Jan Ada on the list since it was first published, what, a century ago?

Daniel del Real

A few days ago, it was announced India will be the guest country in the Guadalajara International Bookfair in 2019. This is a quite interesting approach to a literature we're very far away, not only geographically but in terms of contemporary litetarure arriving via translation. I hope there's representation of as many languages posible and not only focusing in English or Hindi writers. To be honest, I do not know many writers to focus on, but I'm sure Jayan will be a great guide from now until November 2019.

kpjayan

Reader
Interesting list; thanks for sharing. I see that Perumal Murugan's profile seems to be rising as well. It's somewhat odd to see Umrao Jan Ada on the list since it was first published, what, a century ago?

The controversy really helped Perumal Murugan. He is now widely translated and read. One Part Woman is a good place to start.

Daniel del Real

Well, I'm not so sure :) . However, do let me know the contingent from India and will try to add what I think about them.
Hi Jayan. Here are the links on which you can see the participation of India at the bookfair. Please ignore it's in Spanish and just focus on the name of the participants.

Thanks!

kpjayan

Reader
Here is a short introduction ..

1. Krishna Kumari Nagaraj : Prof of English in Karnatak University, Dharward ( 400km north of Bangalore). Scholar and Critic. Not sure if she has published any book ( probably a few academic ones).

2. Subro Bandyopadhyay : Bengali (Bangla) poet. Not read him much, but is prominent among young poets. Here are some samples.

3. Mamang Dai : From the North Eastern ( nearing China and Myanmar) state of Arunachal Pradesh. Writes in English. I have recently read a book ( The Black Hill ), which I liked very much. I certainly intend to read more. Recommended Books : The Black Hill , The Legends of Pensam.

4. Leeladhar Jagudi : 75 yr old Hindi Poet. I've read a few of them. Not sure if they are available in English. One of these days, I will try to do a 'crude' translation of a couple of his poems ( Hindi is not my base language).

5. C S Lakshmi : Tamil Writer, feminist , translator. One of the 'leading' literary figures in Tamil Literature. Writes under the pen-name 'Ambai' in Tamil, however, the translated works in English carry the name C.S.Lakshmi. Recommended books : A Purple Sea , In a Forest, a Deer .

6. Yogendra Nath Sharma 'Arun' : Hindi Poet. I am not familiar with him. Only came to know his name as an awardee in last years 'Sahitya (Literature) Academy'.

7. Kruthiventi Sreenivasa Rao : I think he is from the Ministry of Culture, Govt of India.
8. Nirmal Kanti Bhattacharjee : English Professor and Editor of 'Encyclopedia of Indian Literature'
9. Balvantrai Shantilal Jani : Gujarati writer of Folk tales. Not much available in translation. I'm not very familiar with his writing.

10. Sukanya Datta : Science Fiction writer, writes in English, based out of Kolkata. Not read her books.

11. Arup Kumar Dutta : Mostly known for his books for Young Adults. From the State of Assam ( North -Eastern India). Not read any of his books. He writes in English.

12. Arun Kumar Bhagat : Hindi Poet , Critic & Journalist. Not very familiar.
13. Sonya Surabhi Gupta : Academic. Chair the 'European & Latin American Studies' at Jamia Milia Islamia University.
14. Arvind C Ranade : He is a Space Scientist. Not sure of the relevance here. Unless I am mistaken.
15. Kinkini Dasgupta Mishra : Again, an editor of a scientific Magazine.

Not a very impressive list from 'literature' front. C S Lakshmi and Mamang Dai, I would strongly recommend.

Daniel del Real

Thank you so much Jayan. It took ages for the bookfair to announce India's program; usually they do it around June-July and this time it came until late September. At that time I had the feeling it wasn't gonna be what I expected. Anyway I'll be following your recommendations and will attend to some of the conferences by Mamang Dai and CS Lakshmi.

Daniel del Real

Well Jayan. Out of the two writer you strongly recommended, only one came to the Bookfair: Mamang Dai. I had a good impression of her and I'm looking to read her novel Black Hill soon.

Daniel del Real

As expected, they fell short. The most important authors didn't come and for me that's the most important from the guest country. I attented to a couple of music & dance shows and they were good, especially the one from Rajastan. Even the assortment of books from Indian authors at the pavillion was poor. However, besides Mamang Dai I got two more names of Indian writers I truly want to read: R.K. Narayan and Khushwant Sing.

kpjayan

Reader
R K Narayan's 'Malgudi Stories/Novels' are good, in small doses. Writes in the 'old English' ( not very popular with the new young Urban readers). Khushwant Singh's early novels , especially 'Train to Paikstan' is one of the landmark writing on the India-Pak partition. His later writings are are mostly on a lighter side.

Stevie B

Current Member
R K Narayan's 'Malgudi Stories/Novels' are good, in small doses. Writes in the 'old English' ( not very popular with the new young Urban readers). Khushwant Singh's early novels , especially 'Train to Paikstan' is one of the landmark writing on the India-Pak partition. His later writings are are mostly on a lighter side.
Jayan, I know Singh wrote a series of 10 or more joke books later in his career, an unusual choice for someone who is primarily known, at least outside of India, as a serious writer. Singh also wrote about women frequently, but I don't know about the tone or quality of those stories. Do you think that aspect of his work added to his literary reputation or detracted from it?