João Guimarães Rosa

Z--

Thank you for your kind words! ;)

I don't know abour your native language, but if it's English, I have some recomnendations of novels, for example.

Well, I'd like to recommend as a point of start reading the works by Machado de Assis and José de Alencar.
Lately, Aluíso Azevedo and Coelho Netto (the first Brazilian nominated to Nobel Prize)..
After, First Wave of Brazilian Modernism (Oswald de Andrade, Mário de Andrade, Manuel Bandeira, Raul Bopp, José Américo de Almeida, etc).
Then, Second Wave of Brazilian Modernism (Jorge Amado, Raquel de Queiroz, José Lins do Rego, etc).
After, Third Wave of Brazilian Modernism, Magic Realism and Post-Modernism (Clarice Lispector, Lygia Fagundes Telles, Lêdo Ivo, José J Veiga etc).
And Brazilian New Sincery (Caio Fernando Abreu, João Silvério Trevisan, João Gilberto Noll, etc).

Good luck, my dear! ;)
Many, many thanks for your recommendations, Leseratte and Benny. You are both wonderful! These are exactly what I needed. It's shocking how unfamiliar I am with all but three names here... Hugely appreciate you categorizing them as well :)

I'll check out these names to tide me over until Rosa is translated.

Leseratte

@Z-- (Welcome to WLF). As for J.G.Rosa, in case you have not seen or read it yet, you can always start with a collection of his stories: The Third Bank of the River and Other Stories, seems to still be available.
Seems to be the collection called in Portuguese Primeiras Histórias which is my favorite. Here is a short comment on it.

Z--

Good news, folks. Alison Entrekin, who is release a new translation of Rosa's masterpiece, has provided an update. Knock on wood but it looks like it may come soon! I can't wait to read this.

From the translator below:

*Several things have changed ? , as this was still a work-in-progress when I submitted it to the AAWP Translator's Prize last year - but this is the gist of it.
I am happy to say that the crossing is complete and I am busy polishing and framing the translation with notes and glossaries and an essay.

So many people have been invaluable in this process, but for now I will just say that I am forever indebted to the brilliant Daniela Travaglini ? , who has been my sounding board and first responder (er, reader) all the way across 600 pages of text and nearly 10 years of time.

Travessia!

Bartleby

Good news, folks. Alison Entrekin, who is release a new translation of Rosa's masterpiece, has provided an update. Knock on wood but it looks like it may come soon! I can't wait to read this.

From the translator below:

*Several things have changed ? , as this was still a work-in-progress when I submitted it to the AAWP Translator's Prize last year - but this is the gist of it.
I am happy to say that the crossing is complete and I am busy polishing and framing the translation with notes and glossaries and an essay.

So many people have been invaluable in this process, but for now I will just say that I am forever indebted to the brilliant Daniela Travaglini ? , who has been my sounding board and first responder (er, reader) all the way across 600 pages of text and nearly 10 years of time.

Travessia!

She also shared some 6 pages of the translation as a sneak peek.

Leseratte

It's also worth reading for the "Translator's Statement" that follows the excerpt.
Yes. The statement shows that she really has a profound knowledge of Rosa´s use of language. This translation is promising. And it is already famous before it has been finished.

Benny Profane

Apparently, Alison Entrekin has finally finished her translation of Guimarães Rosa's epic "Grande Sertão: Veredas"!

The tweet below says so, with a link to a youtube video of her commenting on the translation process. It's all in Portuguese, tho.

Translation: "Yesterday, it's a pleasure for me to have a conversation with Guilherme Mazzafera and Leonardo Rabelo, from the Brazilian Consulate based in Sydney, about my project of translation into English of Grande Sertão: Veredas - which has done".

Last edited: