Murakami Haruki

Bartleby

I got a little suspicious of this English edition, since the complete review pointed out to the significant difference in page number between this edition and basically any one else... I was tempted to try to read it right away, but I'll be waiting for the brazillian translation, which will be published in two volumes, the first coming out in November.

Bartleby

The cover of the brazillian edition of the first volume of killing commendatore has been revealed. It's quite poppy. I like it...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 42556402_1952296654826510_2452301003165270016_o.png.jpg
    42556402_1952296654826510_2452301003165270016_o.png.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 60

Daniel del Real

Interesting to know Alfaguara has the rights for the portuguese translation. The rights for Spanish translation belongs to Tusquets, owned by Grupo Planeta, the other huge block in Spanish publishing houses.
I prefer your cover though

La-muerte-del-comendador.-Libro-1-Haruki-Murakami-Portada-Web.jpg

Dante

Wild Reader
attachment.php
I really like the italian cover. Lookin' forward to get my copy next week... Anyone is already reading it? Any comment so far?

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 37

kpjayan

Reader
I was tempted to pick this up yesterday. It was at $40(SGP) at the Singapore Airport. Decided to give it a go for the time being.

Bartleby

I keep hearing about his flat use of Japanese, and how it is thrown into relief when compared to most traditional Japanese writers, and it made me so curious to know how exactly this works in the original language.

Does anyone know just a bit of Japanese (and have the required patience and teacher's spirit) that you could demonstrate very briefly this aspect of his writing :) ?

(I have no idea if this is even viable, I mean, maybe this language aspect is complex that you'd have to know Japanese already to even grasp it?)

redhead

Blahblahblah
Don't speak any Japanese, but we don't have too many speakers on here to my knowledge, so I'll throw in what I've heard here. I went through a Murakami obsessed phase a few years ago and the thing I kept hearing was that he writes in a very simple style that sometimes appears to be translated from American English, similar to how Oe's Japanese appears to be a twisted translation.

Here's a piece on Hear the Wind Sing's composition, focusing a lot on the language and how he arrived at his "style."

https://lithub.com/haruki-murakami-the-moment-i-became-a-novelist/

Bartleby

Don't speak any Japanese, but we don't have too many speakers on here to my knowledge, so I'll throw in what I've heard here. I went through a Murakami obsessed phase a few years ago and the thing I kept hearing was that he writes in a very simple style that sometimes appears to be translated from American English, similar to how Oe's Japanese appears to be a twisted translation.

Here's a piece on Hear the Wind Sing's composition, focusing a lot on the language and how he arrived at his "style."

https://lithub.com/haruki-murakami-the-moment-i-became-a-novelist/

That does it. Thanks :)
I was particularly curious about his Japanese writing after reading one of the articles posted here on this thread, the one about him not winning the nobel in 2012, when the guy says of some older people having trouble with the author's writing. He cited something about say Kawabata writing in one given alphabet and murakami in two others (no way I'm gonna remember which is which :p). But I think that had something to do with his mentions of Western culture stuff and they had to be spelt in a different alphabet ...

Bartleby

Btw, I've started reading his Men Without Women, and I'm loving it so far, having read the first two stories. It's actually my first encounter with his shorter fiction. It's different from some other short story writers I've read, not that I've read much. It feels a little like tchekhov or Munro, but way more elusive, inconclusive, but in a way that, to me, didn't need any conclusions. I like it how he is expressing life as it is, the feelings you get when thinking about the transitory aspect of it, people that move in and out of your life etc...
I liked both stories, the second, "yesterday" , a little more for I'm in a time of my life that exactly mirrors the stuff that goes on with some characters, having the same longings, and there's something about thinking about the unknown future, and the passage of time (this sudden cut to a time farther in the future) that always gets me.
The first one, "Drive my car", I liked as well, the inconclusiveness of it making special sense since the protagonist himself has unfinished business with his departed wife.
When I read it I was also ready to make a rant against the people - not here - complaining, with their political correctness, about some "old" ideas the protagonist has, extending them actually (in their minds) to the author himlself, and taking far more offense than they should with (which is none), but I've lost energy to do so...

Last edited:

Bartleby

Men Without Women was really frustrating for me. It contains two of my favorite short stories of his but the title story is without doubt the worst thing he’s ever written. I also really disliked the one about the doctor.

I loved his other three collections though.
Oh, boy... Better start preparing myself for this downward slope in quality, then...
I saw nothing wrong with the one about the doctor, it wasn't my favourite story, but it was nice. But I think I liked the beginning better, the way we went so sombre all of a sudden, it was quite unexpected...

Well at least the next one, Sherazade, you said was among your favourite stories by him, so there's still some good stuff on the way...
And I can feel they're not like masterpieces of the genre or something like that, they could be tauter, more potent, but until now it's been enjoyable.
But yeah, I've just read the title story of Blind Willow, and that one was so great, so concise and poignant, him having achieved this effect with so little. And it also spoke to me in a very particular way, it feels like a pop song I could listen to countless times on repeat.
So yeah, by comparison, I can see this is murakami at the top of his strengths.

Daniel del Real

Haruki celebrated 40th anniversary of his literary debut with a concert held in Tokyio. Full article below:

http://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0005864702

Interesting point in the article is the following:

In a discussion with “running buddy” Shinya Yamanaka, director of Kyoto University’s Center for iPS Cell Research and Application, he shared some information about his novel “1Q84.” Confirming a rumor that a sequel may be in the works, Murakami said: “[After writing ‘Book Three’], I still had the stories for what occurs before and after [the novel]. I thought about writing them but it seemed like too much effort so I didn’t. It’s a long and complicated story. Writing sequels is laborious work.”

Would you like to see a sequel or prequel about 1Q84?

Daniel del Real

Conclusive yes, but abrupt in my opinion. Probably he could go further into what led to the ending without changing it or go beyond that point. A prequel would be different, not sure if I want that.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
I went to the bookstore the other day and saw he has quite a few new books out this year.

Two collections of essays:

81d9flowyHL.jpg

61rlk82RnqL.jpg

A new short story collection:

img_d5f6b7ddea32122710eae0a6b75a07ac8942405.jpg

And they're making comic-adaptations of some of his short stories (sample images if you click on the links):

Daniel del Real

I assume you're living in Japan right now. That's quite interesting. Hope you can join the next meeting so you can tell us more about where you live and what do you do.

Bartleby

For anyone who may be interested, here is a link to a book review in the New York Times of his latest short story collection.
This review made me want to read it right away. I quite enjoyed his previous collection... I might want to wait till it is translated here tho, I really prefer the way he reads in pt-br.

Last edited: