Music Music Music

tiganeasca

About 20 years ago, I was invited to Romania to give several talks (work-related). Since someone else was paying the airfare (and hotel), I was invited to add on personal time at the end if I wished. So long as I paid for the extra days, the plane fare would still be on them. So I added an extra week and drove around a portion of what we in the West call Transylvania.

I fell in love with the area; so much so that I went back the next year, rented a car, and spent three weeks driving around the very rural parts of Transylvania--meeting people, seeing tiny villages lost in time, and it was one of my best vacations ever. During those two trips, I learned about and became a huge fan of Hungarian and Romanian folk music, so-called "gypsy music." I have a huge collection of CDs of that music as a result.

One of the subsets of that music is the "lost" Jewish music from before World War II. And one of the great performers of that music is a Hungarian group that has been around for decades called Muszikás. And this is a Jewish dance from an area in the far northwest known as Maramures, right at the Ukrainian border. I spent much time there and 20 years ago anyway (and I suspect still), it is an area largely unaffected by the 20th century--tiny rural villages, people dressed in traditional clothing, few tourists (though that part may have changed).

Anyway, this may be an acquired taste, I don't know. But I certainly acquired it! (And it's impossible not to feel the joy the musicians take in playing it...just watch the face of the lead violinist!)

Ben Jackson

About 20 years ago, I was invited to Romania to give several talks (work-related). Since someone else was paying the airfare (and hotel), I was invited to add on personal time at the end if I wished. So long as I paid for the extra days, the plane fare would still be on them. So I added an extra week and drove around a portion of what we in the West call Transylvania.

I fell in love with the area; so much so that I went back the next year, rented a car, and spent three weeks driving around the very rural parts of Transylvania--meeting people, seeing tiny villages lost in time, and it was one of my best vacations ever. During those two trips, I learned about and became a huge fan of Hungarian and Romanian folk music, so-called "gypsy music." I have a huge collection of CDs of that music as a result.

One of the subsets of that music is the "lost" Jewish music from before World War II. And one of the great performers of that music is a Hungarian group that has been around for decades called Muszikás. And this is a Jewish dance from an area in the far northwest known as Maramures, right at the Ukrainian border. I spent much time there and 20 years ago anyway (and I suspect still), it is an area largely unaffected by the 20th century--tiny rural villages, people dressed in traditional clothing, few tourists (though that part may have changed).

Anyway, this may be an acquired taste, I don't know. But I certainly acquired it! (And it's impossible not to feel the joy the musicians take in playing it...just watch the faces of the violinist and violist!)

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Tiga. I really love when you guys share personal experiences.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Via that brilliant blog, The Automatic Earth:
ThingsWeDo.jpg

Ben Jackson

So, after listening to more than 50 classical composers this year, and more than 100 records as a whole, I present to you my favourite classical records for the year:

?? Rite of Spring--- Igor Stravinsky
Modernist master who broke musical barriers by replicating what Joyce was doing in Literature in music. Rake's Progress and Symphony of Wind Instruments were beautiful as well, but Rite of Spring should be his greatest piece.

?? Leningrad, Suite for Variety Orchestra--- Dmitri Shostakhovich

Easily one of my favourite composers, listening to Leningrad's like listening to trains moving on the rails in snowy night under Russian Revolution/Stalinist epoch. The other piece was incredible as well, starting on a high, then going soft/smooth in the middle, then kick starting and ending with that high tempo the way it started in the beginning.

?? The Hours Soundtrack--- Philip Glass

Another of my favourite composer, I wanted to choose Glassworks, but remembering the power of The Hours soundtrack, most especially listening to it as I remember Ed Harris' character sitting on the window of his messy apartment, made me select this one.

?? Tabula Rasa--- Arvo Part

Paart's music is like Bach and Jon Fosse in Literature, a powerful expression of divine and spiritual elevation. This is my favourite.

?? Notations, Le Marteau Maitre--- Pierre Boulez
If I remember correctly, Boulez's a 20 time Grammy winner known for his dark, pessimistic music that has drawn comparison to the works of his literature peers Joyce and Beckett (which he claims as his biggest influences). His music has the atmosphere of silence and solitude, with maybe a sound of an instrument which the listener might hear only once.

?? Also Sprach Zarathustra--- Richard Strauss

I don't know between Russia, Germany, France and Austria which country has produced the finest composers. This piece sounds like science-fiction with the vibe of doomsday.

?? 4:33--- John Cage

The most enigmatic piece of music I have ever heard. But it's wonderful.

?? Representation of Chaos--- Joseph Hadyn

Known for composing the Austrian National Anthem, this piece tends to echo the creation story of mankind.

?? Jacob's Ladder--- Arnold Schoenberg

They called him a modernist master, listening to this piece I knew why.

?? Le Apres Midi, Suite Bergamasque--- Claude Debussy

Christopher Okigbo and Michael Jackson expressed their admirations for Debussy, and considered by many as the bridge between symbolism and modernism. The first piece was inspired by Mallarme and it's the greater of the two.

?? Nocturnes--- Federic Chopin

While not as experimental or ambitious as the others I have mentioned, Chopin's music expressed his romantic heart. You can use his music for dinner or sharing romantic moments with your partner, which's cool. His music is like reading Tagore's poems after a hectic period reading Eliot, Montale, and probably Elytis.

?? Ave Maria--- Franz Schubert

Another romantic composer, this piece's sound like a prayer's hymn. Beautiful.

I will later rank favourite popular music albums.

Ben Jackson

Favourite Popular Music Albums for this year:
?? Highway 61 Revisited, Blood on the Tracks--- Bob Dylan

Dylan's finest records in my opinion, the first a watershed moment in lyricism, the latter brilliant concept album. I did enjoyed Bringing it All Back Home, Basement Tapes and Time Out of Mind (Blonde on Blonde and John Wesley Harding not that much, except Visions of Johanna from the former and All Along the Watchtwoer from the latter), but the ones I listed are my favourites.

?? Getz/Gilberto--- Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto

My entry into Brazillian music's one of the classics from that region. This Grammy winning album's minimalistic style is celebration music accompanied by a very enchanting vocals in Astrud Gilberto. A Latin America's masterpiece Girl from Ipanema, introducing Bossa Nova, is in this album.

?? Graceland--- Paul Simon
This album was one of the albums that introduced world music to Western audience. In this case, Simon makes use of South African and Western African sound to produce a glowing and luminous achievement.

?? Supernatural--- Santana

Another blast from Latin America, but this album's more maximalist than the previous album. This album won everything it was nominated for at Grammy Awards in 2000 (9).

?? Sign of the Times--- Prince

Another standard in terms of album's structure, the album blends jazz, funk and R&B to capture the streets of America. The standout track is not the celebrated title track but Adore, one of the finest love songs (that can serve as everyone's wedding song).

?? Joshua Tree--- U2

Another masterpiece, this album looks at themes ranging from transcendence to politics with incredible lyricism. The album was influenced by the band reading works from Norman Mailer to Flannery O'Connor in order to understand the vision of America. I first listened to this album about four or five years ago and it's fantastic.

?? Kind of Blue--- Miles Davis

Another re-listen, this jazz album hasn't lost its touch.

?? Songs--- Amealia Rodrigues

More of a compilation than actual album of one of the greatest European musicians.

?? Speakerboxxx--- Outkast

Double album, the first half's more energetic and rap-like, the other half more of rhythm and blues. One of the century's most innovative albums.

?? Rumours--- Fleetwood Mac

This album, another blockbuster from 1977, looks at relationships in different forms.

?? Random Access Memories--- Daft Punk

I listened to this album more than three times per day, a brilliant (sadly the French duo's last album) electronic album that celebrates music. The most memorable track got America, and the world at large, dancing: Get Lucky.

?? Midnights--- Taylor Swift

Another brilliant album that looks at, in her own words, dreams, personal nightmares and anxiety.

??????? Synchronicity--- The Police

The band's last and finest album, another re-listen. Songs, inspired by the psychological theories of Jung and Koestler, range from psychology to romance and existentialism. A classic song's Every Breath You Take, from this album. This album, along with another blockbuster, Thriller, dominated the charts the world over in 1983. (Both album had the most Grammy noms that year, the latter with 12).

?? Ray of Light--- Madonna

This is her most intelligent and adventurous record, making use of Eastern instruments, with lyrics influenced by Buddhist philosophy.

??????? Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack--- Bee Gees

Another blockbuster, soundtrack of John Travolta's breakthrough movie (haven't see it yet), features some of the finest songs in Disco, now Dance, music from the title track to the instrumental pieces like Manhattan Skyline.

?? Songs in the Key of Life, Innervisions--- Stevie Wonder

Wonder's magisterial milestones, the songs in the first album, almost three hours long, ranges from tributes to Duke Ellington, to politics, philosophy and call for universal harmony and peace. The album styles ranges from Jazz, to instrumental, to soul, gospel and funk. Standout tracks: Pastime Paradise, Always, Isn't She Lovely. The second album, meanwhile, is more compact and symphonic, with just 9 songs. If you remember the movie Silver Lining Playbook (starring the ever beautiful Jennifer Lawrence in her Oscar winning role), the song played during the dance scene with co-star Bradley Cooper features in this album: Don't You Worry About A Thing.

Leseratte

?? Getz/Gilberto--- Stan Getz & Astrud Gilberto

My entry into Brazillian music's one of the classics from that region. This Grammy winning album's minimalistic style is celebration music accompanied by a very enchanting vocals in Astrud Gilberto. A Latin America's masterpiece Girl from Ipanema, introducing Bossa Nova, is in this album.
Bossa Nova with English, Spanish and Portuguese undertitles. Sung by Tom Jobin´s daughter Maria Luisa Jobin and his grandson Daniel Jobin. :