Name these books

tiganeasca

I have long been fascinated by cover artwork. And even more so by the artwork that publishing houses choose, especially for the classics. Sometimes, I can't help but wonder if the artwork was chosen by someone who had even read the book inside. Thus was born this quiz. I attach two small collages. Your challenge? Name the books. (If you own the edition, no fair commenting!)

Famous book #1:

Project1 (2).jpg

Famous book #2:

Project2.jpg

Liam

Administrator
#1 is Beowulf--I don't own any of these editions, but you ARE talking to a medievalist here, hehe.

Not sure about #2: Anna Karenina? Middlemarch?

tiganeasca

#1 is Beowulf--I don't own any of these editions, but you ARE talking to a medievalist here, hehe.

Yes, you are a medievalist, but Beowulf is not the only medieval work out there. Assuming we're talking about a "medieval" work....

redhead

Blahblahblah
So is #1 not Beowulf?? I would guess Beowulf, too—I recognize the cover in the top row, second from left as Beowulf (although I’ve seen more than a few different books in the public domain featuring the same cover).

No idea about the second, though.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Oh I see. Re: the cover I recognized, I wouldn’t say it’s a standard one or anything, but Barnes and Noble has a line of cheap of editions of public domain books, and I guess I’ve walked through their poetry section enough times that this one is seared into my memory.

Bartleby

Nice idea :)
In a Brazilian forum I used to be part of we’d play similar games; in one someone would post pictures related to a book’s plot and whoever got it right would post the next set of pics and so on and so forth... another was about films, someone would post a still and we’d have to guess which film it was from...

anyway, just reliving some old memories here hehe

about the covers, I’d say Beowulf and Anna Karienina.

tiganeasca

Time for another challenge. The posts on the "Run for Covers" thread has prompted me to find another world classic. This time, however, I've worked even harder, finding Russian, Romanian, Indonesian, and other covers for today's puzzle. Can you name this work? (And if you know because you are familiar with one of the covers, keep it to yourself!)

Who Am I.jpg

Bartleby

I'm guessing One Hundred Years of Solitude only because of the "forever alone" meme in front of the green cover hehe otherwise no idea...

tiganeasca

It has been too long since my last installment of covers here. So...what famous work of world literature is represented by these covers from various publishers/editions? (And if you KNOW the answer, please DON'T answer!)

Project2.jpg

Papageno

My first guess was Semyatin's 'We'. Then the right one !
That was also my line of reasoning before getting it right! I particularly like the blue one on the bottom right. Sad and frightening at the same time.

Time for another challenge. The posts on the "Run for Covers" thread has prompted me to find another world classic. This time, however, I've worked even harder, finding Russian, Romanian, Indonesian, and other covers for today's puzzle. Can you name this work? (And if you know because you are familiar with one of the covers, keep it to yourself!)
I wonder what this one is? Book covers are haunting, especially the surrealist one that is second to the right in the bottom row. Reminds me of De Chirico. I was thinking perhaps Tarjei Vesaas' Birds, because covers feature birds, boats, trees and the profound feeling of solitude which are all features of that novel, but I very much doubt it has been translated to all those languages (even though it very much deserves it, if any book ever did...)