Name these books

Leseratte

Are they different works, or different editions of the same work, Tiga?
Can´t even start to guess. The covers suggest by it´s colors and drawings a male figure in distress, maybe opposed to a group or a community. Map from Middle and South America but also a part of New Zealand? may suggest the country of the plot or the author. Plot may also be sci-fi. The cover with the glass pearl? on the outstretched hand is different from all the other covers. ???

tiganeasca

Can´t even start to guess. The covers suggest by it´s colors and drawings a male figure in distress, maybe opposed to a group or a community. Map from Middle and South America but also a part of New Zealand? may suggest the country of the plot or the author. Plot may also be sci-fi. The cover with the glass pearl? on the outstretched hand is different from all the other covers. ???
I, of course, chose what I thought might possibly give a clue or two and at the same time could be misleading. No point in using the easy ones, right? Let it stew a little bit and see if anything occurs. If not, I'll post the answer in a few days. ?

hayden

It has been too long since my last installment of covers here. So...what famous work of world literature is represented by these covers from various publishers/editions? (And if you KNOW the answer, please DON'T answer!)

View attachment 2164

I thought this one was easypeasy, but more than anything I'm interested in the covers I'd never seen. That bottom right is terrifying. Neat seeing them all together.

The one prior though? Not sure. Has Lord of The Flies vibes, but some are super random then.

Stevie B

Current Member
Pretty sure I recognize the first two cover illustrations as being used for Brave New World. The rest are ones that I don't think I've seen before. I've somehow managed to avoid this classic novel. Perhaps I'll get to it in the next year.

tiganeasca

I thought this one was easypeasy, but more than anything I'm interested in the covers I'd never seen. That bottom right is terrifying. Neat seeing them all together.

The one prior though? Not sure. Has Lord of The Flies vibes, but some are super random then.
I see now that I never posted the answer to the previous one. It is, in fact, One Hundred Years of Solitude.

tiganeasca

Okay, I can't resist. This one is easy. Too easy. But the covers are...priceless! And the bottom right one--I double-checked and even triple-checked to make sure--is downright bizarre.

Project1.jpg

Stevie B

Current Member
Not sure why Disney titled their book Duck Quixote instead of Donald Quixote. By way, I tried copying and pasting a picture, but it wouldn't work. Anyone else having similar issues?

Leseratte

Time for another challenge. The posts on the "Run for Covers" thread has prompted me to find another world classic. This time, however, I've worked even harder, finding Russian, Romanian, Indonesian, and other covers for today's puzzle. Can you name this work? (And if you know because you are familiar with one of the covers, keep it to yourself!)

View attachment 1024
What was the answer to this one?
Not sure why Disney titled their book Duck Quixote instead of Donald Quixote. By way, I tried copying and pasting a picture, but it wouldn't work. Anyone else having similar issues?
I was sure D. Quixote was involved, but I didn´t know there was a Disney version to it! But what has the game of chess to do with the story?

tiganeasca

Oddly enough, the title on that book was War and Peace--as it is on all the others! (Presumably the hat on Donald's head is intended to be in the Russian style.)

warandpeace_519af498-96f0-43da-bcb7-c529f9b35fd2_1024x1024@2x.jpg

That still doesn't explain the Civil War-era combatants--complete with Native American warrior--in the lower right. Or the fellows at the top, one with a medieval lance. Downright bizarre!

Last edited:

tiganeasca

What was the answer to this one?

I was sure D. Quixote was involved, but I didn´t know there was a Disney version to it! But what has the game of chess to do with the story?
The answer to that one was One Hundred Years of Solitude.

It has been too long since I read War and Peace for me to say whether chess is involved (I don't remember it being), but one of the things I erased when I cleaned up the picture was the name of the character in the middle: on the base of his little pedestal was the name "Bezukhov" in Cyrillic script. That being the name of the protagonist in the novel. And the costumes on the people in the background are, presumably, intended to be Russian (sort of). Maybe chess as a metaphor for the story lines.