Neustadt International Prize for Literature

hayden

We know the shortlist consists of names with barely any chances of winning it, being there just as a sort of push or stimulus, and the real contenders.

While I agree, I think this trend only started happening circa the 2014-2016 classes. Before that, nominated candidates were stacked (or, at least very intriguing).

I'll say it again— I like the Neustadt. It's good stuff.

Daniel del Real

While I agree, I think this trend only started happening circa the 2014-2016 classes. Before that, nominated candidates were stacked (or, at least very intriguing).

I'll say it again— I like the Neustadt. It's good stuff.

Yes, you're correct. I should have said, lately.

Ben Jackson

The Neustadt is doing a great job.

We know the shortlist consists of names with barely any chances of winning it, being there just as a sort of push or stimulus, and the real contenders.

Now, despite being a biennial prize, it has awarded more poets (3) and non-european writers (9) than the Nobel this century. Also, out of the 12 winners only 3 writing in English, none from the US and with very different territories and realities (Grace, Danticat & Mistry).

This prize is really paying attention to the writers of the world; probably we should be putting more attention to it and less to those antiquated swedes.

With more non-European Neustadt laureates, should we say Neustadt Prize has become a discovery for writers or tool for literary translations to English?

I'm so happy that Ananda Devi won, despite haven't read her. Congrats to African Literature, which now have, I believe, five Neustadt Laureates. I just hope more of her books will be translated and widely available.

Americanreader

I read Eve out of her ruins a few years ago. I remember it being decent. Deep Vellum (her publisher in English) is a good publisher by the way.

Daniel del Real

With more non-European Neustadt laureates, should we say Neustadt Prize has become a discovery for writers or tool for literary translations to English?
Not really. I think the winners are writers very well established with some works published in English and some other languages. Just as the Nobel, the Neustadt gives a push to republish some of their works and probably new ones.
That's the scenario for English language. For Spanish or any others (except French of course) Ananda Devi will still be out of print or simply unpublished.