Nobel for Literature Quiz

Ben Jackson

New Question:

During the Presentation speech for Olga Tokarczuk, how many books of Tokarczuk was cited by the committee as her career highlights?

Last edited:

Tedward

Well, you guys tried, but the tallest and shortest is actually, wait for it: Dario Fo and Nadine Gordimer.

Dario Fo is actually 6 ft 2, Gordimer is 5 ft 1, shorter than Faulkner.

I think Patrick Modiano is at least 6 ft 5, as it was mentioned in an interview I read a few months ago and then searched online for.

I found it quite startling information, as I often picture him as his protagonist when reading his work, so I've had to re-shape my imagery to fit.

https://www.ft.com/content/98e7fc8c-4e3f-11e4-bfda-00144feab7de

Ben Jackson

I think Patrick Modiano is at least 6 ft 5, as it was mentioned in an interview I read a few months ago and then searched online for.

I found it quite startling information, as I often picture him as his protagonist when reading his work, so I've had to re-shape my imagery to fit.

https://www.ft.com/content/98e7fc8c-4e3f-11e4-bfda-00144feab7de

Some sources (can't even remember the name of the websites), proclaimed that Modiano was 6 ft, while some said 6 ft 5. I wasn't sure of the information, and that's why I listed Fo as the highest because of accuracy of the information on his height.

Verkhovensky

Maybe this is not for this thread since I don't know the answer, but whatever :)

Since Adonis was (again) not named laureate, and his literary name is a pseudonym, I wondered - how many writers using pseudonyms have won the Prize in past?
Anatole France is the only one coming to my mind. Is it possible that he is the only one?
I also know that Lessing published some works under pseudonym, but I think it was just two or three novels.

Edit: While hitting Send I remembered that Mo Yan is a pseudonym too. So ok, is there a third one?

Benny Profane

Maybe this is not for this thread since I don't know the answer, but whatever :)

Since Adonis was (again) not named laureate, and his literary name is a pseudonym, I wondered - how many writers using pseudonyms have won the Prize in past?
Anatole France is the only one coming to my mind. Is it possible that he is the only one?
I also know that Lessing published some works under pseudonym, but I think it was just two or three novels.

Edit: While hitting Send I remembered that Mo Yan is a pseudonym too. So ok, is there a third one?
Gabriela Mistral and Pablo Neruda.

Verkhovensky

Oh, I had to remember Neruda being a pseudonym! After Jan Neruda, of course.
Didn't know about Mistral though. Did she named herself after Frederic Mistral, the wind mistral or something else?

Now when I look at the list, Bob Dylan could also be considered a pseudonym, however he eventually legally changed his name to Robert Dylan from Robert Allen Zimmerman. There were for sure some others with the same situation for different reasons (being adopted at a young age for example, or taking mother's maiden name at some point in life).

Sadly not a Nobel winner, but I was always fascinated how Italo Calvino is not a pseudonym. I mean, it sounds too perfect. Like his parents knew he will become great writer.

Ben Jackson

Gabriela Mistral got her pseudonym from Gabriel D'Annunzio (Italian novelist and poet) and Federic Mistral. Of course, Gabriela is feminine for Gabriel.

Other writers to win Nobel based on their pseudonyms: Neruda, Perse, Anatole France and Mo Yan

hayden

You're missing a big one! Chloe Wofford.

While not complete pseudonyms, Georgios Seferiadis. Icek Zynger. Odysseas Alepoudellis. Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka. Laxness was a pseudonym too. Knud Pedersen, etc etc.

+ Nelly Sachs' real name is actually Leonie. Patrick Modiano is Jean. There's quite a few more like this.

Not to mention Robert Zimmerman.

& Pearl Buck's birth name is Comfort Sydenstricker ?‍♂️

Last edited:

Marba

Reader

Yeah, this one I wasn't really sure how to treat.

According to Wikipedia: Morrison became a Catholic at the age of 12 and took the baptismal name Anthony (after Anthony of Padua), which led to her nickname, Toni.

And I understand she got the Morrison from her husband, Harold Morrison.

hayden

Yeah, this one I wasn't really sure how to treat.

According to Wikipedia: Morrison became a Catholic at the age of 12 and took the baptismal name Anthony (after Anthony of Padua), which led to her nickname, Toni.

And I understand she got the Morrison from her husband, Harold Morrison.

I'd say it counts.

Going through the list, there were significantly more laureates that drop their first name than I initially thought.
Orhan Pamuk's first name is Ferit. Wisława Szymborska is Maria.

Ben Jackson

While not complete pseudonyms, Georgios Seferiadis. Icek Zynger. Odysseas Alepoudellis. Akinwande Oluwole Babatunde Soyinka. Laxness was a pseudonym too. Knud Pedersen, etc etc.

+ Nelly Sachs' real name is actually Leonie. Patrick Modiano is Jean. There's quite a few more like this.

Not to mention Robert Zimmerman.

& Pearl Buck's birth name is Comfort Sydenstricker ?‍♂️

I don't really think Soyinka's case is pseudonym, his case's very similar to George Bernard Shaw (Shaw decided to use Bernard instead of George for his writings.

hayden

I don't really think Soyinka's case is pseudonym, his case's very similar to George Bernard Shaw (Shaw decided to use Bernard instead of George for his writings.

Yeah, nobody in that line is quite a 'pseudonym', just some interesting semi-name-changes. (I did note that). Thought that section was more just for tidbits sake.