Nobel for Literature Quiz

redhead

Blahblahblah
This might be presumptuous of me, but since no one has asked a new question and I got the year right on Prudhomme, I’ll ask another one.

Rudolf Eucken won in 1908. He was apparently little known in his time, and is almost completely forgotten today. Without looking it up, can you name the title of one of his books?

Last edited:

tiganeasca

This might be presumptuous of me, but since no one has asked a new question and I got the year right on Prudhomme, I’ll ask another one.

Rudolf Eucken won in 1908. He was apparently little known in his time, and is almost completely forgotten today. Without looking it up, can you name the title of one of his books?
Even worse, we could probably compile a list of a dozen winners with the identical question. ☹️

To wit:
Sully Prudhomme
Theodor Mommsen
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
José Echegaray
Giosuè Carducci
Paul von Heyse
Maurice Maeterlinck
Verner von Heidenstam
Karl Gjellerup
Carl Spitteler
Jacinto Benavente
Erik Axel Karlfeldt

I know the names but I (at least) can't name a single work. Heck, I can't tell you much about any of them except that I know that Mommsen was a historian. I think I may even have something by Carducci, but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of these people. Depressing.

(And for bonus points: something I just learned as I went through the list: which one of these men won it twice?! Yes, twice. Named winner in 1918, declined, and then was awarded it in 1931 posthumously!!)

P.S. I'm so sorry; red; I didn't mean to pre-empt your question but it was such a great question that I couldn't help myself. ?

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
Even worse, we could probably compile a list of a dozen winners with the identical question. ☹️

To wit:
Sully Prudhomme
Theodor Mommsen
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
José Echegaray
Giosuè Carducci
Paul von Heyse
Maurice Maeterlinck
Verner von Heidenstam
Karl Gjellerup
Carl Spitteler
Jacinto Benavente
Erik Axel Karlfeldt

I know the names but I (at least) can't name a single work. Heck, I can't tell you much about any of them except that I know that Mommsen was a historian. I think I may even have something by Carducci, but I couldn't tell you a thing about any of these people. Depressing.

(And for bonus points: something I just learned as I went through the list: which one of these men won it twice?! Yes, twice. Named winner in 1918, declined, and then was awarded it in 1931 posthumously!!)

P.S. I'm so sorry; red; I didn't mean to pre-empt your question but it was such a great question that I couldn't help myself. ?
Well, it depends, actually.

Theodor Mommsen is really high mountain on the landscape of ancient historiography even now. I think, his "Roman history" is still very much into current process of research. I was trained in Russian late medieval history, but his texts were cornerstone of our seminars on Antiquity.

Of course, all of us know single work by Bjornstjerne Bjornson. It's anthem of his motherland, Norway.

And it's strange to me to see the name of Maurice Maeterlink on this list! He is really such obscure figure in Western world? Here his "Blue bird" was super popular in the early XXth century (it was staged by Stanislavsky, I suppose) and become kind of symbol during the Soviet. As a play for children, true, but still... it gave its name to early soviet candy:

P. S. And give the chance to Paul von Heyse. He is one of my personal favorites. His short stories are such cozy bidermeier trinkets!

tiganeasca

Well, it depends, actually.

Theodor Mommsen is really high mountain on the landscape of ancient historiography even now. I think, his "Roman history" is still very much into current process of research. I was trained in Russian late medieval history, but his texts were cornerstone of our seminars on Antiquity.

Of course, all of us know single work by Bjornstjerne Bjornson. It's anthem of his motherland, Norway.

And it's strange to me to see the name of Maurice Maeterlink on this list! He is really such obscure figure in Western world? Here his "Blue bird" was super popular in the early XXth century (it was staged by Stanislavsky, I suppose) and become kind of symbol during the Soviet. As a play for children, true, but still... it gave its name to early soviet candy:

P. S. And give the chance to Paul von Heyse. He is one of my personal favorites. His short stories are such cozy bidermeier trinkets!
I don't disagree with what you say about Mommsen, but I think that the number of people (scholars) who know his work is mostly limited to those in that field. I did my graduate work in history as well but never read him. Ask the "man on the street" and I think you will get no response at all.

And you are clearly far more knowledgeable than I am: I know nothing of Bjornson, not even his anthem. Sorry.

Maeterlinck is probably not completely unknown. As you say, his work was popular in the early 20th century. Even here in the USA. The problem is that the early 20th century is now 100 years ago. Again, stop the man the street. I think you'll with get no response.

I am happy to give von Heyse a chance. Heck: I am more than happy to give them all a chance. My point is only that they and their works are almost completely unknown now. That is sad, but true, I am afraid.

alik-vit

Reader
I don't disagree with what you say about Mommsen, but I think that the number of people (scholars) who know his work is mostly limited to those in that field. I did my graduate work in history as well but never read him. Ask the "man on the street" and I think you will get no response at all.

And you are clearly far more knowledgeable than I am: I know nothing of Bjornson, not even his anthem. Sorry.

Maeterlinck is probably not completely unknown. As you say, his work was popular in the early 20th century. Even here in the USA. The problem is that the early 20th century is now 100 years ago. Again, stop the man the street. I think you'll with get no response.

I am happy to give von Heyse a chance. Heck: I am more than happy to give them all a chance. My point is only that they and their works are almost completely unknown now. That is sad, but true, I am afraid.
It's interesting experiment. I mean, this one with "man on the street". I will try to do it in my neighborhood. Maybe it's direct way to becoming a most popular life of the party)))))

But seriously, it's link to one of the biggest Russian online bookstore. There are 19 editions of Maeterlinck. Mostly are "Blue bird" for children, but still:

tiganeasca

It's interesting experiment. I mean, this one with "man on the street". I will try to do it in my neighborhood. Maybe it's direct way to becoming a most popular life of the party)))))

But seriously, it's link to one of the biggest Russian online bookstore. There are 19 editions of Maeterlinck. Mostly are "Blue bird" for children, but still:

No sir! If I cannot buy it at Дом книги then I do not want it! (?)

Interesting list, though. The selection on Amazon is not as large and a number of the offerings are in French, not English.

(And when you take your survey from the "man on the street," make sure you are not in the vicinity of a university. Go to a working class neighborhood!)

redhead

Blahblahblah

Which of his would you recommend? I read his short story The Fury, which is often held up as one of his greatest, and thought it was pretty mediocre.

No worries at all! Glad you liked it and glad it got a discussion going

alik-vit

Reader
Which of his would you recommend? I read his short story The Fury, which is often held up as one of his greatest, and thought it was pretty mediocre.

No worries at all! Glad you liked it and glad it got a discussion going
"L'Arrabiata" or "Marion", maybe. Or "The ring". You are right, it's mediocre texts, but there is some comfort in this mediocrity, when you read it as cultural, not literary text.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Thanks! I looked it up and think The Fury is L'Arrabiata, but I’ll check out those others. I know what you mean by “comfort”—even though The Fury wasn’t impressive, there was a general feeling or vibe there that made me curious about his other works. Have you read any of his novels?

alik-vit

Reader
Thanks! I looked it up and think The Fury is L'Arrabiata, but I’ll check out those others. I know what you mean by “comfort”—even though The Fury wasn’t impressive, there was a general feeling or vibe there that made me curious about his other works. Have you read any of his novels?
No, never. "Kinder der Welt" and "Im Paradiese" were translated in early 20th century here, but even for such frequent old-book-stores-goer like me it was impossible to find these books. The latter was republished few years ago and your eloquent praises of his oeuvre convince me to buy and read it!

tiganeasca

Instead of focusing on lesser-known winners, let's spend a moment on a well-known recipient: William Faulkner. I just read the "Award Ceremony Speech" which explained why the Academy chose him. I will skip over the speech itself (which I found partly accurate and partly silly) and ask this question:

Which single work did the Academy single out for praise in bestowing the prize on Mr. Faulkner?
a) The Sound and the Fury
b) Absalom, Absalom
c) Light in August
d) As I Lay Dying
e) none of his works

alik-vit

Reader
Instead of focusing on lesser-known winners, let's spend a moment on a well-known recipient: William Faulkner. I just read the "Award Ceremony Speech" which explained why the Academy chose him. I will skip over the speech itself (which I found partly accurate and partly silly) and ask this question:

Which single work did the Academy single out for praise in bestowing the prize on Mr. Faulkner?
b) Absalom, Absalom
c) Light in August
d) As I Lay Dying
e) none of his works
You mean, in award citation?

redhead

Blahblahblah
The latter was republished few years ago and your eloquent praises of his oeuvre convince me to buy and read it!

Lol I’m not sure I’d describe my posts on him that way, unless I wrote something on here in years past and forgot. I hope you enjoy it! I found some free English translations online, including Kinder der Welt. Heyse WLF reading group??

b) Absalom, Absalom
c) Light in August
d) As I Lay Dying
e) none of his works

No idea, I’ll guess the sound and the fury

tiganeasca

You mean, in award citation?
Good question. I was looking for the award citation when I started but I cannot find one. Instead, I found a somewhat long-ish speech by a member of the Academy which was given immediately before actually handing Faulkner the prize. A surprisingly long speech, in fact. And given how it is written, it seems to be the equivalent of a citation.

alik-vit

Reader
Good question. I was looking for the award citation when I started but I cannot find one. Instead, I found a somewhat long-ish speech by a member of the Academy which was given immediately before actually handing Faulkner the prize. A surprisingly long speech, in fact. And given how it is written, it seems to be the equivalent of a citation.
Sorry, can't remember. I'm pretty sure, there was nothing in citation, and there was something about supposed reactionary of his position in award ceremony speech. It's all.

tiganeasca

No idea, I’ll guess the sound and the fury
The Sound and the Fury?

Two very good--but incorrect--guesses.

Remarkably enough, the Academy did not mention a single work--nothing--in the speech. For those who are so inclined, you can find the speech (or citation) here.

You can also watch a video of a portion of the ceremonies here (It appears that this ceremony includes the awarding all the prizes; Faulkner enters the stage around 2:30 and is given his own award around 7:00). [Spoiler: it's all in Swedish, so for most of us, the interest is purely in the images themselves]

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

b) Absalom, Absalom
c) Light in August
d) As I Lay Dying
e) none of his works

I can confidently say I have read all the award ceremony speeches for Nobel Prize winners. As for Faulkner, none of his works was singled out for praise. It was a long speech by Osterlinh about the greatness and impact of Faulkner.

Ben Jackson

To wit:
Sully Prudhomme
Theodor Mommsen
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson
José Echegaray
Giosuè Carducci
Paul von Heyse
Maurice Maeterlinck
Verner von Heidenstam
Karl Gjellerup
Carl Spitteler
Jacinto Benavente
Erik Axel Karlfeldt

Mommsen--- History of Rome (very important work praised by Bernard Shaw and helped shaped his dramatic work Caesar and Cleopatra.
Echegaray--- Great Galeoto
Maeterlinck--- The Blind, Poems
Carducci--- Barbarian Odes
Gjellerup---Minna: a Novel
Spitteler---- Olympian Spring
Karlfeldt/Prudhomme--- Poems
Heysee---The Fury

Can't mention a work for rest of the writers listed off my head.

As for the winner in 1918 and posthumously in 1931, it's Karlfeldt.