Non-Writer Obituaries

Ben Jackson

Yep. I would go to post here. Thank you for your post, @Verkhovensky.

So, two legends passed away. 2 of 3 only men who won the World Cup as player and coach passed away!!!

Rest in Peace, Kaiser!!!!

I was very sad when I heard the news. Playing high school football (I still play college football but not that much; I usually play either at the heart of the defense or mid-field), I adopted Franz and Cryuff (another football icon) as models for playing.

Leseratte

Owner of the most successful bookstores of Brazil, Paulo Hertz passed away today:

I loved LIvraria Cultura. In its good days it was the place to buy foreign classic literature sometimes cheaper than a magazine.

Benny Profane

The mighty Louis Gossett Jr, the eternal Colonel Charles "Chappy" Sinclair, passed away.

His most known film is the iconic Iron Eagle.

This film and its continuations (Iron Eagle II and III) belong to my childhood. Eternal memories!

Edit: I know these films are seen as just crap but they are my guilty pleasures! LOL!
If all the rubbish films were as Iron Eagle, we would have a better society! ;)

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Last edited:

Benny Profane

OJ Simpson, a man who has figured in the American cultural landscape in one way or another for the past 50 years, has died. I've always wondered why a great American novel about him has never been produced.
Interesting question.

I hope I'm wrong, but I more and more notice that, due the dysfunctions of "cancelling culture" and "#metoo movement", a writer who writes something about a "rapist" will be branded as mysoginist, will be sued and the work will never published.

Last edited:

dc007777

Interesting question.

I hope I'm wrong, but I more and more notice that, due the dysfunctions of "cancelling culture" and "#metoo movement", a writer who writes something about a "rapist" will be branded as mysoginist, will be sued and the work will never published.

I think it can be done the right way. Guess we just need to wait for the right writer!

Liam

Administrator
I think it can be done the right way. Guess we just need to wait for the right writer!
The "right" kind of writer would make anything interesting and worthwhile. There have been excellent movies about Hitler for example (Downfall, etc), and he's probably a million times worse than O.J.

Liam

Administrator
So, you don't think that American Psycho could have been published in today's literary climate? ?

Benny Profane

So, you don't think that American Psycho could have been published in today's literary climate? ?
Obviously, not, Liam!

At least, in my country...

In nowadays, American Psycho is being treated as a dangerous work for "incels", "redpills", "MGTOWs", etc.
I don't know the reality in North-American, but in my country freedom of speech and creativity in Arts no longer exists here.

I don't want to approach political subjects here and I don't know if you are knowing what is happened here (Elon Musk vs Brazilian Supreme Court, specially about the controversial Alexandre de Moraes), but there is ocurring a vortex of censorship by two sides (left and right).
On the left, false-moralism against alleged "racism, xenophoby, sexism, chauvinism, fatphobia", etc.

On the right, false-moralism against alleged "homossexuality, drugs, etc".

Our dear Leseratte started a thread about it: https://www.worldliteratureforum.co...banning-of-books-in-brazil.68257/#post-189302

So, you can conclude that our situation is very bad! :(

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
I don't know the reality in North-American, but in my country freedom of speech and creativity in Arts no longer exists here.
That is very sad to hear. I do wish politicians kept their noses out of the arts.

Ellison published another novel about a serial killer last year, but I've no idea if it's as shocking as American Psycho. It looks like it's his longest book to date.

Benny Profane

That is very sad to hear. I do wish politicians kept their noses out of the arts.

Ellison published another novel about a serial killer last year, but I've no idea if it's as shocking as American Psycho. It looks like it's his longest book to date.
Not only politicians but "collectives" and groups of pressure too (principally, alleged group of "minorities").