Nordic Council Literature Prize

Andrew

Nordic Council Literature Prize 2022

The prestigious Nordic Council Literature Prize, first awarded in 1962, goes to a literary work written in one of the Nordic languages, such as a novel, drama, poetry collection, or a collection of short stories or essays that meets high literary and artistic standards. Works are nominated by the national members of the Nordic Adjudication Committee, made up of two members from each of the Nordic nations (Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland). One of the members for Finland must be a Finnish speaker, the other a Swedish speaker. In years when works are nominated from the Faroe Islands, Greenland, Åland or the Sámi language area, appropriate representatives are co-opted into the committee. Each country nominates a maximum of two literary works. Previous winners include Tarjei Vesaas, Tomas Tranströmer, Jon Fosse, Sjón and Sofi Oksanen.

The winner takes home the Nordlys statuette and DKK 300,000 :D

The nominees for the 2022 prize were as follows:

Denmark

Om udregning af rumfang (I, II og III) by Solvej Balle. Novel
Adam i Paradis by Rakel Haslund-Gjerrild. Novel

Finland

Eunukki by Kristina Carlson. Novel
Röda rummet by Kaj Korkea-aho. Novel

Faroe Islands

Sólgarðurin by Beinir Bergsson. Poems

Greenland

Arkhticós Dolorôs by Jessie Kleemann. Poems

Iceland

Truflunin by Steinar Bragi. Novel
Aprílsólarkuldi by Elísabet Jökulsdóttir. Novel

Norway

Dette er G by Inghill Johansen. Novel
Jente, 1983 by Linn Ullmann. Novel

Sami language area

Beaivváš mánát by Mary Ailonieida Sombán Mari. Poems

Sweden

Löpa varg by Kerstin Ekman. Novel (Ekman has won previously, in 1994)
Den dagen den sorgen by Jesper Larsson. Novel

Åland

Hem by Karin Erlandsson. Novel

And the winner, announced today in Helsinki, is Solvej Balle from Denmark. I may be wrong, but I don't believe any of the nominated works are available in English just yet. However, the winning entry usually does get translated.

Andrew

On the Nordic Council website it says it hasn't been translated into English, and I can't find any mention (not even on Ullmann's website) of a forthcoming release date for an English edition. Although the linked review is in English, it is referring to a translation by Lars Andersson into Swedish -- the book cover shown is the Swedish edition, Flicka, 1983 published by Albert Bonniers Förlag on October 11.

Nonetheless, I have no doubt this is one of the nominated works that will find its way into English, as all of Ullmann's previous novels have been translated. The book came out in Norwegian in November of 2021, so hopefully we'll see an English version on bookshelves in the not-too-distant future.

Leseratte

Sorry, @Stevie and @Andrew. I was on tablet where my research is more limited when I posted the link yesterday.
There was a title in English, the name of a translator and a review in English so I concluded the book was already available. I vent directly for Ullmann, because as she has been raised partly in New York she would certainly care for an edition in English.
Here is another link about it:

Seems I was mistaken. As atonement: here is an interesting article of NYT, about (among other things) her novel before last. Hope there is no paywall:

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Sorry, @Stevie and @Andrew. I was on tablet where my research is more limited when I posted the link yesterday.
There was a title in English, the name of a translator and a review in English so I concluded the book was already available. I vent directly for Ullmann, because as she has been raised partly in New York she would certainly care for an edition in English.
Here is another link about it:

Seems I was mistaken. As atonement: here is an interesting article of NYT, about (among other things) her novel before last. Hope there is no paywall:
Given the book's strong reception, I wouldn't doubt that an English translation is in the works. I recall reading up on some of Ullmann's books a few years ago, but I passed on ordering anything. Speaking of Ullmanns, however, I am interested in watching The Emigrants, a film project of her parents that was released around 50 years ago. Have you happened to see that one?

Liam

Administrator
Speaking of Ullmanns, however, I am interested in watching The Emigrants, a film project of her parents that was released around 50 years ago.
I'm confused, how does this film involve both of her parents? As far as I know Bergman had nothing to do with this project.

It's a great movie, however, you should definitely watch it, along with its accompanying piece, The New Land.

Stevie B

Current Member
I'm confused, how does this film involve both of her parents? As far as I know Bergman had nothing to do with this project.

It's a great movie, however, you should definitely watch it, along with its accompanying piece, The New Land.
Liam, I'm shocked you don't know that Jan Troell was a pseudonym used by Ingmar Bergman. Okay, so that's not true. Just a weak attempt to save face.

Liam

Administrator
For what it's worth, my mother absolutely adores both Bergman AND Troell, different though they are! The Emigrants is one of her favorite films, and I personally also liked Everlasting Moments (which is a later film of his career).

It's easy to get lost in the Bergman filmography, so I understand the confusion: I initially thought that The Best Intentions was a Bergman film, but no, it's only based on his screenplay, and then Liv Ullmann directed Private Confessions, based on his material and very Bergmanesque in execution.

He was, if anything, very prolific (including fathering children with many different women, LOL, though I am by no means trying to slut-shame the great man!), ?

Stevie B

Current Member
For what it's worth, my mother absolutely adores both Bergman AND Troell, different though they are! The Emigrants is one of her favorite films, and I personally also liked Everlasting Moments (which is a later film of his career).

It's easy to get lost in the Bergman filmography, so I understand the confusion: I initially thought that The Best Intentions was a Bergman film, but no, it's only based on his screenplay, and then Liv Ullmann directed Private Confessions, based on his material and very Bergmanesque in execution.

He was, if anything, very prolific (including fathering children with many different women, LOL, though I am by no means trying to slut-shame the great man!), ?
Just saw that The Emigrants is a Criterion blu-ray release. Should I infer from your comments (and your mother's opinion) that it would be worth the splurge?

Liam

Administrator
Just saw that The Emigrants is a Criterion blu-ray release. Should I infer from your comments (and your mother's opinion) that it would be worth the splurge?
If you like sprawling historical family sagas, then yes (or just great cinema in general). The blu-ray is definitely worth the splurge because you get two films on two discs at once: The Emigrants and The New Land! And you can always resell it on eBay if you don't like it, ?

Stevie B

Current Member
If you like sprawling historical family sagas, then yes (or just great cinema in general). The blu-ray is definitely worth the splurge because you get two films on two discs at once: The Emigrants and The New Land! And you can always resell it on eBay if you don't like it, ?
Two films in one? That's like getting a half-priced deal. Can't pass it up now! :D

Stevie B

Current Member
By the way, although I don't like Criterion's (artificially?) high prices, I appreciate that the company has brought back to the market so many classics. They also have some headscratcher releases, though. Uncut Gems, for instance. As an overrated film (in my opinion) and a more recent release, it doesn't seem fit the Criterion mold.

redhead

Blahblahblah
From what I've read, the Safdie Brothers are huge Criterion fans and most likely pushed for the film's inclusion. It probably helps that the film seems to be very popular with the younger Criterion crowd.

Stevie B

Current Member
B&N is having its annual Criterion sale this month, everything (in stock) is 50% off, for those that are interested :)
Perfect timing. I'm heading down to the Twin Cities next weekend. Will be looking to pick up The Emigrants and Drive My Car, and probably one more. Any suggestions?

Liam

Administrator
^My suggestion would be to shop B&N online, LOL, as their online selection is well-nigh complete; I've been disappointed by what they had at the store (in Boston) recently: it was a decent amount, but more like 1/4 or 1/5 of the entire collection.

Liam

Administrator
^I myself will be getting The Red Shoes, the new Lynch release (Lost Highway) and maybe one or two Bergmans, :)