Nordic Council Literature Prize

Leseratte

If you don´t have it already, The Decalogue by Kieslowski, a series of ten movies made for TV. And any Akira Kurosawa film you can get ( but having lived in Japan you probably have got them all).

alik-vit

Reader
Perfect timing. I'm heading down to the Twin Cities next weekend. Will be looking to pick up The Emigrants and Drive My Car, and probably one more. Any suggestions?
Kira Muratova is my personal goddes of cinema. But I'm not sure about availability of her movies in the USA. Last film by Rustam Hamdamov was perfect too, but again, I'm not sure, if it's part of Criterion collection.

Stevie B

Current Member
If you don´t have it already, The Decalogue by Kieslowski, a series of ten movies made for TV. And any Akira Kurosawa film you can get ( but having lived in Japan you probably have got them all).
I've watched many of them, but don't own any, unfortunately.

Leseratte

I've watched many of them, but don't own any, unfortunately.
Skimmed through the extensive list: Fellini, Buñuel, Kurosawa, and, and, and.... Was surprised to find the Brazilian cult Limite by Mário Peixoto in it. Don´t know however if this anguishing experimental movie is your cup of tea. It might be more Liam´s. Anyway, the film is included in this Wikipedia article one doesn´t have to buy it.

Stevie B

Current Member
Skimmed through the extensive list: Fellini, Buñuel, Kurosawa, and, and, and.... Was surprised to find the Brazilian cult Limite by Mário Peixoto in it. Don´t know however if this anguishing experimental movie is your cup of tea. It might be more Liam´s. Anyway, the film is included in this Wikipedia article one doesn´t have to buy it.
Thanks for the heads up, Leseratte. Since Limite is a silent film, I could watch it at work and not worry about getting caught. ;)

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Maybe I'll look for To Live. It's the first Japanese film I recall watching, but that was many, many years ago.

Stevie B

Current Member
Last film by Rustam Hamdamov was perfect too, but again, I'm not sure, if it's part of Criterion collection.
Rustam Hamdamov's films look really intriguing. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that any of them are available with English subtitles. I guess I'll finally have to take up Liam on his offer of free Russian tutoring. :D