Olga Tokarczuk

hayden

I just wonder why they took so much time to translate it.

141907120-fort-collins-co-usa-march-8-2020-the-books-of-jacob-polish-edition-historical-novel-by-olga-tokarczu.jpg

Who knows.

Leseratte

Lol! Yes I know it's about 1200 pages and there's the pandemic. But the German translation appeared last year.

Bartleby

Jennifer Croft’s written an article on the surface about translating The Books of Jacob, but ends up covering some things more. The interesting thing about it, together with some info on what the novel covers, and her calling the book unquestionably Tokarczuk’s masterpiece, is that she finished the translation of it on 12 January (her actual deadline was 31 December 2019). How long the editing process is! For the book won’t come out until March 2021. I wasn’t aware of the time it took in delivering a book.
The thing that’s really astonishing to me is how long the revisions and editing took! As you can see from this article, the translation itself was ready almost two years ago!

Leseratte

Jennifer Croft’s written an article on the surface about translating The Books of Jacob, but ends up covering some things more. The interesting thing about it, together with some info on what the novel covers, and her calling the book unquestionably Tokarczuk’s masterpiece, is that she finished the translation of it on 12 January (her actual deadline was 31 December 2019). How long the editing process is! For the book won’t come out until March 2021. I wasn’t aware of the time it took in delivering a book.
Thanks for the article, as you say it reallly gives an idea of the content of the novel. The editing process can be very long. I translated a Kafka novel about three years ago and it is probably in the hands of some revisor. Because of pandemics and because other projects are more urgent.

Bartleby

Thanks for the article, as you say it reallly gives an idea of the content of the novel. The editing process can be very long. I translated a Kafka novel about three years ago and it is probably in the hands of some revisor. Because of pandemics and because other projects are more urgent.
Oh, that's so nice! I hope it gets published soon!
If you don't mind telling, which book was it? And for what publisher (sorry if I'm being too nosy)?

Leseratte

Thanks, @Bartleby. Do you know, if they were released simultaneously? I mean, many readers were anxious for the release. They had to wait quite a lot of time and now there are two.

Leseratte

The English edition:

Bartleby

Thanks, @Bartleby. Do you know, if they were released simultaneously? I mean, many readers were anxious for the release. They had to wait quite a lot of time and now there are two.
It's pretty common for books in English to be released on different days in different countries - this if we're talking about popular books; sometimes an independent publishing house in, let's say, the UK, won't have its books published in the US (and vice versa). Last year, when he won the Nobel, Gurnah's latest novel Afterlives (2020) hadn't yet been published in the States...

Last edited:

Leseratte

And the translator is the same!
I am linking this new article by Jennifer Croft. It is not the same as the other one and it is actually a "class" on good translation:

Bartleby

The presence of a synopsis also acknowledges this epic novel’s demands on contemporary reviewers, who have many other books in their inboxes and on their desks and often must reduce a complex text, on deadline, to brief paragraphs. Tokarczuk maintains her novel’s pace with section breaks, narrating her characters’ psychological development with the tension of discovery, the slow but progressive movement of their thoughts. But still this novel is long, complicated, and about a strange religious movement from a strange time and place. One could say it is written against our times, in defiance of our short attention spans, the spinning news cycle, the pithy tweet, and the rapid scroll. The novel poses a challenge to our literature, too: we do not explore Tokarczuk’s private life in this text, and she does not shy from exploring her characters’ spiritual and mystical beliefs. This reader’s guide, then, intercedes as a defense of The Books of Jacob, as well as an encouragement to trust this unusual, stimulating text.