Portuguese Literature

tiganeasca

Okay, sorry. I didn't mean to detail the thread. The topic was The Lusiads and my contribution to that is that I read it a number of years ago (7-8?) in a modern translation by a Welshman named Landeg White. Don't know anything about him except that he taught at a university in Portugal (he died in 2017; looking on the internet, he seems to have been fairly well-known...just not to me!). The translation was very highly recommended and I thought it read easily; my challenge was the wealth of references that would have slipped by me except for the fact that my edition had extensive notes. They helped enormously. It seems to be a work known mostly (in the US anyway) by scholars and serious readers; the "man on the street" is highly unlikely to have heard of either the author or the book. A pity.

Leseratte

Not a fan of cod?! :oops:

Sintra is already on the list!
No. But that is me particularly, cod is very popular here in Brazil it is even an Easter and Christmas dish.
But forget about the cod. Here is something that deserves to be put on your list if it isn't already there.

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Have you read it by Richard Burton's translation?

Read the Oxford University Press's copy, translated by Landang White. Favourite line:

Fire me now with mighty cadences,
Not a goatherd's querulous piping.
But the shouts of a battle, trumpet
Stirring the heart, steeling the countenance, give a poem writing
Of the exploits, so inspired by Mars,
To propagate their deeds through space and time, if poetry can rise
To the sublime.

Benny Profane

Read the Oxford University Press's copy, translated by Landang White. Favourite line:

Fire me now with mighty cadences,
Not a goatherd's querulous piping.
But the shouts of a battle, trumpet
Stirring the heart, steeling the countenance, give a poem writing
Of the exploits, so inspired by Mars,
To propagate their deeds through space and time, if poetry can rise
To the sublime.
Original:

"Dai-me ũa fúria grande e sonorosa,
E não de agreste avena ou frauta ruda,
Mas de tuba canora e belicosa,
Que o peito acende e a cor ao gesto muda;
Dai-me igual canto aos feitos da famosa
Gente vossa, que a Marte tanto ajuda;
Que se espalhe e se cante no universo,
Se tão sublime preço cabe em verso."

Very good! It's interesting that Landang White translated this using rich rhymes ("rhymes per aproximation" as we say here) while Camões used poor rhymes (consonant rhymes).

Camões' intent was to use poor rhymes into a epic poetry in tradition of Troubadourism, because he wanted to be widespread read (we ought to remember that common persons were unaducated at that time).

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Recently, I discovered the great Portuguese poet called Luis de Serguilha. His works are experimental. Some works on him:

Books: