Portuguese Literature

The Common Reader

Never read Sá Carneiro myself, but he was one of the most important authors of the Geração D'Orpheu(Portuguese Modernism). He was maybe the closest friend of Fernando Pessoa
https://www.complete-review.com/reviews/portugal/sacarm.htm (contains spoilers but looks interesting)
Over the last couple of years of following the Forum I have had the growing sense of having missed out on something very important by not learning Portuguese...

Benny Profane

Another reason to read Mario de Sá-Carneiro, Almada Negreiros, António Botto and Fernando Pessoa: four repressed gay men (in fact, Sá-Carneiro was the first boyfriend of Fernando Pessoa and António Botto was the second most famous according some biographers) who didn't demonstrate their full capacity in 1920's because they were victim of shaming, homophoby as Botto suffered and bullying by the frustrated Orpheu Magazine. .
They defied some slurs of a very conservative society and were the biggest writers of theirs time.

Sá-Carneiro antecipated in 5 years some literary techniques which was written after like Joyce, Proust and Woolf's contributions.

Almada Negreiros was a crossdresser in 1920! A complete artistic man!
He was a performer, a poet, a lyricist, a playwright, a novelist, a painter and a sculptor.

António Botto had the "most beautiful verses of Portuguese in 1920's" according some writers. He was hit by a truck here in Brazil and died.

And about Pessoa, I don't need to talk about him, right? He doesn't need some introductions and explanations. ?

Last edited:

Leseratte

Another reason to read Mario de Sá-Carneiro, Almada Negreiros, António Botto and Fernando Pessoa: four repressed gay men (in fact, Sá-Carneiro was the first boyfriend of Fernando Pessoa and António Botto was the second most famous according some biographers) who didn't demonstrate their full capacity in 1920's because they were victim of shaming, homophoby as Botto suffered and bullying by the frustrated Orpheu Magazine. .
They defied some slurs of a very conservative society and were the biggest writers of theirs time.

Sá-Carneiro antecipated in 5 years some literary techniques which was written after like Joyce, Proust and Woolf's contributions.

Almada Negreiros was a crossdresser in 1920! A complete artistic man!
He was a performer, a poet, a lyricist, a playwright, a novelist, a painter and a sculptor.

António Botto had the "most beautiful verses of Portuguese in 1920's" according some writers. He was hit by a truck here in Brazil and died.

And about Pessoa, I don't need to talk about him, right? He doesn't need some introductions and explanations. ?
Thanks for the infos, Benny! Never heard about António Botto.
He has an English Wikipedia page though
At the very least, an interesting character that put the backs up of the Portuguese conservatives in the first decades of 20 C.

Ben Jackson

One country I haven't read from that much, apart from Camoes (The Lusiads) Antunes (because of the Wolfie), Saramago (Blindness, still have four of his novels left unread), and Pessoa (a volume of his poems), and, if you include Africa, Mia Couto. I have, to read: Eca Quieros, Carneiro, Sophia Breyner, Goncalvo Tavares, Miguel Torga, Andrade, Almeida Garrett.

Leseratte

One country I haven't read from that much, apart from Camoes (The Lusiads) Antunes (because of the Wolfie), Saramago (Blindness, still have four of his novels left unread), and Pessoa (a volume of his poems), and, if you include Africa, Mia Couto. I have, to read: Eca Quieros, Carneiro, Sophia Breyner, Goncalvo Tavares, Miguel Torga, Andrade, Almeida Garrett.
If you managed The Lusiads ( I never did) you have a sort of basis of Portuguese literature.

alik-vit

Reader
Not to go off on a tangent but my wife and I just booked a trip to Portugal in the fall so I guess I'll have to join you in learning Portuguese. The problem is, I looked at the rules of pronunciation online and it's SO CONFUSING! Who wants to come and be our translator?
Amazing country, delicious food and incredible church art in provincial museums! We spent there two weeks in high August. One of my best memories from other life.

Benny Profane

Not to go off on a tangent but my wife and I just booked a trip to Portugal in the fall so I guess I'll have to join you in learning Portuguese. The problem is, I looked at the rules of pronunciation online and it's SO CONFUSING! Who wants to come and be our translator?
If you correctly pronounce João (John), coração (heart), pão (bread), bom (good), muito (a lot of, much), também (too), fizeram (they did) and other words with nasal voewls, you will learn the language faster as you can imagine. :)
Nasal voewls: ão, õe, ãe, om, em, am, ui as a digraph, etc.
The Portuguese pronounciation is very difficult for Brazilians, for example, because Portuguese people stressed the pronounce as British do it.
The Brazilian pronounciation is open, while Portuguese pronounciation is close.

Leseratte

Looking forward most to two things: the food and fado (and being sorry that Amalia Rodrigues is (long) gone).
Love Amalia Rodrigues. I've never been to Portugal and I'm not a fan of codfish. But if you love towns that reminds you of other times I think you'll find that in Portugal, like Sintra where the nobility of 19C used to spend their holidays.

tiganeasca

Love Amalia Rodrigues. I've never been to Portugal and I'm not a fan of codfish. But if you love towns that reminds you of other times I think you'll find that in Portugal, like Sintra where the nobility of 19C used to spend their holidays.
Not a fan of cod?! :oops:

Sintra is already on the list!

alik-vit

Reader
Sintra is a kind of Disneyland from the Belle epoque. Braga is much much more atmospheric place. And, tiga, cod is good, but stewed meat in small pot is pure ambrosia!

Benny Profane

Sintra is a kind of Disneyland from the Belle epoque. Braga is much much more atmospheric place. And, tiga, cod is good, but stewed meat in small pot is pure ambrosia!
Principally, Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá [Cod à Lá Mode of Gomes de Sá] or Bolinho de Bacalhau [Steaks of Cod].