Premio Strega

Dante

Wild Reader
The winner of this year's Premio Strega, the leading Italian literary prize, it's M, il figlio del secolo by Antonio Scurati, who received 228 votes, more than an hundred more than the runner-up title among the five finalists.

Dante

Wild Reader
They've announced the winner of this year's Premio Strega, the leading Italian novel award, and it is Il colibrì by Sandro Veronesi; it's the second time Veronesi has won this prize (he also took it in 2006 with Caos calmo). Before him, the great writer Paolo Volponi was the only one capable of winning the Strega twice (in 1965 and 1991).

Liam

Administrator
Good to see you with us again, Dante, I hope all is well in your part of the world!

Do you know anything else about Veronesi's novel? I'm a little intrigued by the title! :)

Dante

Wild Reader
Thanks Liam! It's always nice to be here. In Italy the situation is way better now, we shouldn't let our guard down yet, but people doesn't seem to understand this. Especially here in Milan.

I've read Il colibrì and I have mixed feelings about it. The writing is great and well balanced, but this is not surprising because Veronesi is one of the best living Italian authors. What I didn't enjoy was the story itself, captivating at the beginning, but then it consistently slows down till the end. Anyway he deserved to win the prize, by far the best book on the list between this year's finalists.

Daniel del Real

I had the impression Veronesi was a kind of detective novel, noir fiction writer; at least that's how he has been marketed by his publisher in Spanish language. If he was won the Strega twice, then probably the fault is on the publishing house (Alfagura, part of the Penguin Random House monster).

Did you read last year's winner, the novel by Scurati? It appeared recently in Spanish translation, but again, it was announced as the "definite work on Mussolini's coming to power" (by the same Alfaguara guys), and this ambitious, bombastic description made me doubt about the real heights of the book.

Dante

Wild Reader
Veronesi wrote a few thriller in the past, but he's definitely recognised as a literary author. Anyway, I'm not surprised to hear that Alfagura preferred to present him as a writer of detective novel, it's easier to sell that kind of book.

Yes Daniel, I have read M – Il figlio del secolo by Antonio Scurati, first book of a trilogy about Mussolini's life. The book was a huge success here in Italy (quite impressive if you consider that we're talking about a 900 pages' book): a few weeks ago I was reading this editorial that analysed the never-ending fascination that people have about "fascism" and whatever is linked to it. That's already a first explanation of its triumph.
I think that Scurati wrote a good easy-to-read book, absolutely not a masterpiece, but what he made was especially a smart business choice.

Daniel del Real

Wow, I didn't know it was that long, I have never seen the book phisically. Now that I think about it, I haven't seen it in libraries so I guess it will stay in Spain only.

Dante

Wild Reader
They've announced the longlist for 2021's Premio Strega, the leading Italian literary prize. A dozen titles, selected from 62 submitted works (a record). The shortlist will be revealed 10 June, and the winner on 8 July.

tiganeasca

Dante: I'm sorry to impose but my Italian is not good enough. I just took a lot at the Premio Strega website and it appears that the Premio Strega is one of four separate prizes. The others are the Premio Strega Giovani, Premio Strega Europeo, and the Premio Strega Raggaze e Raggazzi. Unfortunately, the best I can make out is that the "Europeo" award goes to the Italian translation of a work published by a European author. And the "Giovani" is awarded by a jury of several hundred high school students. ("Raggaze e Raggazzi" is for children's lit, I think.) I've known of the Premio Strega award itself for some time; I've never heard of the others. Is the "Europeo" equally distinguished?

P.S. For those who might be interested, you can see the twelve longlist titles here.

Dante

Wild Reader
Thank you tiganeasca, indeed you're right. I didn't mention the other satellite awards because they're more or less ignored in here (no impact on sales too). The "Strega Giovani" is just the Italian equivalent of the Prix Goncourt des lycéens. Never heard about the "Strega ragazze e ragazzi", but that's probably my fault. The "Strega Europeo" is a relatively recent prize awarded only to European authors that have won a national literary prize in his/her Country (not really evaluating the quality of the work of translation like the International Booker Prize).

Aside from its prestige, the Premio Strega it's so important because it's the only one that has a real impact on sales in Italy (even more than the Nobel Prize).

Dante

Wild Reader
The shortlist for 2021's Premio Strega has just been revealed and you can find it here.
The winner will be announced on July 8.

Daniel del Real

I onky know Andrea Bajani. He was here in 2019 in FIL Guadalajara. He published a book with an independent mexican publishing group.
What's your perception of him?

Dante

Wild Reader
He wrote a couple of good novels in the past, but I didn't like this one. He's in the shortlist mostly because Feltrinelli has chosen to push his name.
I'm not surprised he was in FIL Guadalajara in 2019, he moved to Texas a couple of years ago for sentimental reasons.

Liam

Administrator
Last year's winner, Sandro Veronesi's novel The Hummingbird, is finally available in English! (well, not until January, but still, I'm kind of excited). The translator is unknown to me and it looks as though she hasn't produced very much in the last ten years (still young, perhaps?)

Johnny

Last year's winner, Sandro Veronesi's novel The Hummingbird, is finally available in English! (well, not until January, but still, I'm kind of excited). The translator is unknown to me and it looks as though she hasn't produced very much in the last ten years (still young, perhaps?)
This look like it’s available in English already on Amazon?
This looks like it’s available already in English? Certainly looks very interesting.

Liam

Administrator
^Yes, thank you, I'm always being so American-centered, LOL, it never occurs to me that the British might beat us to the punch when it comes to new translations.

As Johnny says, the book (same translation) IS available for purchase in the UK. I just might order a copy soon :)

Johnny

I couldn’t resist, purchase has been made! I am not familiar with the author at all so looking forward to this.