Translated literature - books, websites

Eric

Former Member
You have to know where to look, in order to find translated literature in English. Here are various suggestions (websites wholly, or partly, in English):

Books
Useful printed guides to fiction in English translation can be found at:

http://tiny.cc/k8Ol3

This is a list of the various guides in book form: Dutch & Flemish; French; German; Italian; Jewish; Portugal & Brazil & Africa; Scandinavian; Welsh; Brazilian [again]; and Hungarian.

Websites
These websites focus on fiction and sometimes poetry written principally in one country or language.

French:

http://www.frenchbooknews.com/index.php

German (general cultural website):

http://www.signandsight.com/

Swedish (introduction to their periodical)

http://www.swedishbookreview.com/

Estonian

http://www.estlit.ee/?id=2

Catalan

http://www.llull.cat/llull/index.jsp?idioma=en

Dutch

http://www.nlpvf.nl/

Norwegian

http://www.norla.no/en/information

Polish

http://www.bookinstitute.pl/

South Africa (books in English, plus translations from Zulu, Afrikaans, Sotho, etc.)

http://tiny.cc/r1qKa

Finland

http://www.finlit.fi/fili/en/

There are many other ones for other nations and languages. This merely represents the handful I've consulted over recent years. But these websites will give you an idea that there are many authors writing and publishing right now, anno 2008, all over Europe (and, of course, beyond). The Wikipedia is helpful, but on some of these websites you can sometimes also find information about new books, prices, bookshops, and so on. I will continue to add websites as I find them.

Eric

Former Member
Eurozine is a good source of information and links up, as I see, with Sign & Sight, the German website. Many perspectives are opened there.

However, as someone who has translated five books from the Estonian, three of which are novels, I did find it a trifle strange that the Eurozine article on Estonian literature, seemed to suggest that Estonian was still waiting for the "great Estonian novel". If smaller countries wait, by undefined criteria, for the greatest novel ever written, they will be waiting till the cows come home.

Estonia, though a "potty little country" of only one million native-speakers of their language, has done rather well internationally by getting their literature translated into all the major European languages (e.g. English, French, German, Russian, Spanish) plus a number of smaller ones. Their author Jaan Kross nearly won the Nobel Prize, but now that he has died, he never will, as the prize is never awarded posthumously. Their exile author Karl Ristikivi wrote a novel resembling "Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse, which is highly regarded. Novels by Anton Hansen Tammsaare are being translated into French, English, Finnish and other languages. Tammsaare wrote in the 1930s.

What I am saying is that Eurozine is a good eye-opener, but always check the names and reputations there with other sources. It's like the Wikipedia, which is great, but not to be relied upon 100% of the time. You have to form your own canon. You have always to be careful to distinguish between genuinely great authors, and those that may be trendy now, but will be forgotten in a decade's time.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
author Jaan Kross nearly won the Nobel Prize, but now that he has died, he never will, as the prize is never awarded posthumously.
And, as I understand it, the nominations for the Nobel Prize are locked up for fifty years, before eventually being disclosed. So unless Jaan Kross was in the running more than fifty years ago, how could you know he "nearly won"?

Eric

Former Member
Yes, the Swedes like to keep us all guessing. In fifty years it will hardly matter who was the rival of Pinter or Montale, but I'd love to know who were snubbed when the committee elected their own duo, Johnson and Martinson. I do believe these two are genuinely good authors (I've not read much of either), but it was a bit much giving the prize to people sitting on the very committee, if I've got my facts straight.

However, in Estonian circles a persistent rumour circulates that in 1991, when Nadine Gordimer won the Nobel, her two rivals for the prize were the Fleming Hugo Claus and Jaan Kross. This would tie in perfectly with the fact that The Harvill Press, as it then was, started looking for translators for two Kross books in about 1992. Kross was still estimated to be in the running for the prize. Why otherwise would some totally unknown author from a forgotten Soviet republic have attracted the attention of a London publishing house? Nobel winners mean increased sales.

The main catch for a translator would have been "Between Three Plagues", a tetralogy of novels, set in the Tallinn of the Middle Ages. I received the consolation prize to translate: "The Conspiracy and Other Stories". Ironically, "Between Three Plagues" has not yet appeared in English, although an American translation is being prepared.

Two other novels by Kross had been translated via the Finnish version by an American friend of the Beat Poet Allen Ginsberg, i.e. Anselm Hollo, himself of Finnish birth. My translation of the six stories was the third Kross book to appear in Britain. The two novels were Kross' most famous ones internationally, "The Czar's Madman" and "Professor Martens' Departure". [I'll start a separate thread about Kross in due course with more details.]

But I genuinely believe, given the signs and tokens, that Kross was being considered for the Nobel in about 1990 (at the time that the Soviet Union was disintegrating), and that someone in the know leaked the information. Because the number of people that knew Estonian in the West were very few, and anyone asked to support Kross' candidature could well have blabbed, as there is a sizeable exile community of well-connected Estonians in Stockholm, dating back all the way to the main exodus in 1944. And the entries for the Nobel for literature are contemplated and ruminated upon by a band of eighteen Swedes, housed in the Nobel Library in Stockholm, in Gamla Stan [the old town], not a million miles away from what used to be the Estonian bookshop in that city (now a lamp shop...).

So, I am the first to admit that I have no proof whatsoever that this rumour is true, but its plausibility makes me believe it.

One inaccuracy in my last posting. I may have given the mistaken impression that Karl Ristikivi exists in translation. He almost doesn't. This is another weird Swedish story. Ristikivi fled to Sweden in 1944 and lived near Stockholm until his death in 1977. Yet not one of his fifteen or so novels has ever been translated into Swedish, his country of residence, let alone any other language - until one appeared recently in French. Why this is remains a mystery. This is a stylistically sophisticated author, whose 1953 novel "Night of Souls" would be well worth publishing. (Strangely enough, not the one the French translator chose.)

Eric,

Aside from Kross, can you recommend any other Estonian writers (including what you've translated)? Aside from the "big" names like Kaplinski, those mentioned in the article are virtually non-existent in English (at least from a cursory Amazon search). I like Kaplinski and would like to see some other Estonian work.

Eric

Former Member
El Californio:

Yes, I can go on and on about Estonian literature. The problem is access to it, as there are few translations into English.

Anyway, I've already sneakily been plugging my latest book-length translation from Estonian. This is in the Library of Babel - European Literature section on this website, if you read what I've written about Friedebert Tuglas:

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104

Also here, in the same section, you can find my review of the novel "The Beauty of History" by Viivi Luik, this time translated by Hildi Hawkins:

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97

Going to have a post-prandial nap. When I return, I'll give you a few more URLs. If you know French, German or a Scandinavian language, you can read several other books that have not appeared in English yet.

Eric

Former Member
El Californio:

I'm going to start a new and separate thread in the Writers of the World - Writers section here for one Estonian author I'd like to promote. I am obliged to mention what I've translated, as I think I'm the only one to have translated and published a novel of his, for an American publisher, since the collapse of the Soviet Union. His name is Mati Unt (1944-2005). So please look there.

I will also start a separate thread for Estonian Literature in the Library of Babel - General Discussion section, where I'll mention several translated and untranslated authors, also authors available in French, German, Scandinavian, etc., but not yet in English. This is because there are already threads there on a number of national literatures.

In that way, I won't clutter up this thread with too many specifics about Estonian literature.

Bjorn

Reader
I'd love to know who were snubbed when the committee elected their own duo, Johnson and Martinson. I do believe these two are genuinely good authors (I've not read much of either), but it was a bit much giving the prize to people sitting on the very committee, if I've got my facts straight.
Apart from calling the Academy a committee ;) (sorry, pet peeve) you're spot on, AFAIK. And that's the reason it will probably be a good long while before any other Scandinavians get it. (Not that we haven't had our share already.) Not to mention that the debate that followed the award was most likely a contributing factor to Martinsson's suicide.

Thanks for all the info on Estonian authors! I don't think I've ever read anything from the Baltic states (though I've had a couple of Latvian novels in my to-be-read pile since... forever). Looks like I've got some exploring to do.

Eric

Former Member
I was in fact reminded of Johnson-Martinson business by a posting (maybe by Beer Good) about Martinson's nasty bayonet suicide. I only heard about that relatively recently, although I've known the Swedish language for some 35 years, and lived in Sweden for six of them.

I've even been in the building where the "committee" sit, because the Swedish PEN Club, whose meetings I used to attend in the 1980s, once had a meeting where the former prisoner of Castro, Armando Valledares told graphic tales about what "fun" it was to be in a Cuban prison. What I remember from that evening was mainly that one Swedish armchair communist was busy trying to pick holes in Valledares' story, as if the latter were the wickedest lackey to the Yanks alive. Twenty-two years is rather a long prison sentence, methinks. It was meant to be thirty, but the PEN Club got him out. If you can stomach the rubric "Capitalism Magazine", please read the following text, which is from about the time I went to that evening:

http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=625

nnyhav

Reader
For (or from) Hungarian to English, I've found George Szirtes translations(downscroll) good (Anna ?des by Dezs? Kosztol?nyi) to excellent (War and War by L?szl? Krasznahorkai -- I eagerly await his rendering of S?t?ntang?), and he blogs as well ... (btw I'm currently reading Liquidation)

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I eagerly await his rendering of S?t?ntang?)

Ooh. I'd heard of the Hungarian film by that name and had been tempted to buy it (seven hours though!) but I wasn't aware, presuming it is, that it was based on a book. That's good to know, as I like to read books before I see films except where I can help it, like Polanski's The Tenant, which I'd seen twice and only found out was based on a book recently.

On the subject of links, though, I was just checking the forum stats, to see where visitors had come in from, what search terms were being used, etc. and I noticed we had one visitor from this Brazilian site (looks film based, if the images are anything to go by - perhaps Heteronym can fill us in here) which has a links page called 2.500 LINKS LITER?RIOS and it pretty much does what it says on the tin. What a fantastic resource, listing book clubs, publishers, national libraries, publisher blogs, author blogs, book reviews, festivals, awards, and much more. Excellent! I can see this being a valuable resource. (And we're the only forum listed on forums which makes me - dare I say it? - astonished and smug at the same time.

Eric

Former Member
The Complete Review does a great job trying to locate as many reviews of literature from all over the world, as Nnyhav mentions in #14.

But when you look more closely, it is a bit hit & miss, because I presume the whole website is a labour of love, not a commercial enterprise. And it only started relatively recently, I suppose (1999?).

So there's a review of one of my own translations of a book by Mati Unt at:

Things in the Night - Mati Unt

But there are no reviews of any books by Jaan Kross, regarded worldwide as the most important Estonian author.

The number of reviews of Finnish, Catalan, Modern Greek, Polish, Korean and a few other languages are a bit thin on the ground. But when translations are published, they are not always reviewed in mainstream publications. So the Complete Review won't always know that reviews exist in the first place.

k2doggo

this book, which's kind of obscure for some reason (maybe because it's overpriced), tries the impossible task of a total overview of all literature translated into english. considering that it's only 600pp of small type in double-columns, it's a pretty good attempt.

it's not so big on contemporary lit, it's more limited to the classics. but a nice place to start when you suddenly think "what's out there in versions of euripides?" or "who did what with the baghavad-gita?"

Amazon.com: The Oxford Guide to Literature in English Translation: Peter France: Books

Eric

Former Member
I've read a few things on the internet about this book. But it does strike me that nowadays, this ought to be an ongoing project online, so that new authors and works can constantly be added.

The aim is to show works in translation that have shaped the English literary canon, if I have understood rightly. So it will not have contemporary literature.

I've now found the other contributors are, apart from Peter France:

http://fds.oup.com/www.oup.co.uk/pdf/0-19-818359-3.pdf

Curiously, none of the three Baltic languages are even mentioned in the list of contents. They fall between the stools of Northern European, East European and Russian. So, no Jaan Kross. And Dutch, a neighbouring language to the British Isles, spoken by just over 20 million people in two countries, is given 4 pages out of some 500 of different literatures; Polish literature has 8; Icelandic, despite the sagas, only one; Catalan 2.

I'm not really sure which niche this book fills. (Yes, I have skimmed their introduction for clues.)

missmaggs

There are a few other sources where you can check out what has been translated. One database which I think is extremely helpful, although not fully comprehensive, is the UNESCO Translationum database. It is a huge bibliographical database of translations encompassing literature in all languages of the world. You can search the database by authour, title, language, translator, etc. Like I said, it's not fully comprehensive, but there is no other source of comparable scope.

You mentioned Peter Frances Encyclopedia of Translation. There is another one, which supercedes it (by FAR) in terms of range and volume. It's a massive 2 volume title, each volume constituting at least a ream of A4 paper. It is edited by Olive Classe and is entitled: the Encyclopedia of literary translation into English. It features encyclopedic entries treating various issues of translation, but also covers translation activities of m ost countries in the world. Obviously the predominance of entries cover western european literature, reflecting the biases existing in canonical literature. But it provides wonderful bibliographies at the end of each entry, and the imbalance of entries illustrates the real-world situation.

Hope that's a bit of help!

Howard

Reader
In my experience, UNESCO's Index Translationum is not helpful at all, with so many omissions as to render it worse than useless. I have never found it the slightest use in trying to discover what books by a particular author have been translated.

I just did a quick check and found not one of my thirty-odd published translations mentioned.

To give an example of how bad the Index Translationum is, Georges Simenon, who is one of the most translated authors in the world, with hundreds of translations in umpteen languages, has one single entry (a translation into Romanian in 2002). Quite frankly, I can't see who the Index is for, or what its purpose is.