Translation into English of awarded "Torto Arado" by Itamar Vieira and "O avesso da pele" by Jeferson Tenório

Leseratte

It seems that after winning the Leya, the Jabutí and also the Oceanos besides an Italian award and occupying the first place on the Brazilian best seller list, Torto Arado is finally going to be translated into English and several other languages:

tiganeasca

It seems that after winning the Leya, the Jabutí and also the Oceanos besides an Italian award and occupying the first place on the Brazilian best seller list, Torto Arado is finally going to be translated into English and several other languages:
Okay, I am officially confused. The first linked article says that the book (The Flipside of Skin) is by Jeferson Tenório; the second linked article refers to Torto Arado by Itamar Vieira Junior. Are we talking about one book here or two?

Leseratte

Sorry, @tiganeasca, each article is about a different book, maybe I should have explained it better.
I assumed that Torto Arado was a name already familiar to the forum.

So, Torto Arado (Crooked Plough) by Itamar Vieira won the most important awards for literature in Portuguese in 2018 (Leya) and 2020 (Jabutí and Oceanos) but had hitherto only been translated into Italian. According to the first article it is now finally going to be also translated into English, German and several other languages.

The second article is about last years Jabutí winner, O avesso da pele (The Flipside of the Skin), which is also going to be translated into English.

Jonatan Silva

These week I wrote an article about Torto arado legacy in Brazilian literature.
It's incredible how this book became a hysteria in Brazil. And he's the voice of Brazilian progressist movement and a voice the president Bolsonaro -- the worst one ever.

After Torto arado there are some many others book that recreated Brazilian far-off places and its people.
If some can read Portuguese, that's the article:

Jonatan Silva

About Torto Arado, I hated it from the begining to the end!

I liked it but it's not as awsome as most people think.
I believe he's a internet and social media phenomenon or someting like that. This morning I was talking to a friend about it, about Torto arado became the best selling book in Brazil and around 300,000 was sold.

Benny Profane

I liked it but it's not as awsome as most people think.
I believe he's a internet and social media phenomenon or someting like that. This morning I was talking to a friend about it, about Torto arado became the best selling book in Brazil and around 300,000 was sold.

I share your opinion about it and I can add some things...
As a baiano, I noticed that Torto Arado is based in stereotypes about Bahia (candomblé, backwardness, syncreticism, poverty, magic realism, colonelism etc) and doesn't make sense for 21th century in my state province. It's pamphleteer and repeats some jargons.
Viera Jr doesn't have a good prose too, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Bartleby

It's incredible how this book became a hysteria in Brazil. And he's the voice of Brazilian progressist movement and a voice the president Bolsonaro -- the worst one ever.

After Torto arado there are some many others book that recreated Brazilian far-off places and its people.
nice article! I haven't read Arado yet, despite all the hype, or perhaps because of it; can't tell which it is. Guess I'm just waiting for the dust to settle... anyway, at least it's a happy thing that the novel's been stimulating reading in Brasil. I'll be glad to read it someday and provide my own opinion of it.

all I can say right now is the author looks so cute ? hehe

Jonatan Silva

nice article! I haven't read Arado yet, despite all the hype, or perhaps because of it; can't tell which it is. Guess I'm just waiting for the dust to settle... anyway, at least it's a happy thing that the novel's been stimulating reading in Brasil. I'll be glad to read it someday and provide my own opinion of it.

all I can say right now is the author looks so cute ? hehe

I think the most important thing about Torto arado is exactly what you are saying. Brazil is a country where reading is underrated by most people. And Torto arado sold much more than any fiction – national or international – last year.

Leseratte

I think one of the greatest merits of Torto Arado is to present in his pages the archaic Brazil we experience today. If I got you well your article refers to that, when you mention the dialogue with the present political (and social) reality. Bereft of everything, living in an abandoned place where even the supernatural entities seem to be utterly helpless, some people struggle for a better life and more social justice. Maybe that´s why so many readers identified with it.

Benny Profane

Personally, I didn't like and couldn't appreciate his Torto Arado, but I recognize his literary merits.
To be honest, in my humble opinion, this book is pamphleteer and lukewarm and became a kinda of Holy Grail of fandoms in my country.

Vieira Júnior also published two books of short stories before Torto Arado.

His new novel has published recently, I think last week.

Last edited: