Translations of Russian Literature

LVR23

Russian literature is great, but there are a ridiculous amount of translations out there, so which translations of the classics do you consider best, and why?

I've been exploring Russian literature for a while now, and I usually just pick up whatever translation is readily available, though now that I'm reading Chekhov, I realize how important the translation is to gain a true feeling for the art. I'm currently looking to acquire a more complete book of his work, so any Chekhov specific answers would be much appreciated.

Stevie B

Current Member
Russian literature is great, but there are a ridiculous amount of translations out there, so which translations of the classics do you consider best, and why?

I've been exploring Russian literature for a while now, and I usually just pick up whatever translation is readily available, though now that I'm reading Chekhov, I realize how important the translation is to gain a true feeling for the art. I'm currently looking to acquire a more complete book of his work, so any Chekhov specific answers would be much appreciated.

You can't go wrong with David McDuff. He has translated many of the Russian masters for Penguin Classics editions including Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Turgenev, Babel, and Bely. Not sure if he has ever translated Chekhov, though. David is an occasional contributor to the World Literature Forum.

tiganeasca

As noted by the original poster, there are lots of translations out there. Over the years, I have developed preferences for particular translators for particular authors, which makes it more complicated when, as now, I encounter an author I havenot read before.

The book I am looking to read is Andrei Bely's Petersburg. I have spent a fair amount of time looking at the several (at least four) translations available and am stuck. The dilemma is neatly and succinctly explained by whoever is the author of "The Modern Novel" blog (at themodernnovel.org):

"The original Russian language version was published by Sirin in 1913 in a Miscellany and in 1916 in book form. In 1922, while in Berlin, Bely substantially revised the text and had it republished. It was this version, with further revisions by Bely and, probably, by the Soviet censor, that was published in the Soviet Union in 1928 and was the only one available in the Soviet Union till 1981, when the 1913 version was republished. The differences between the 1913 and 1922 (and later) versions are substantial. The 1913 version is much longer. For the 1922 version, Bely cut large chunks. While this certainly made the action move faster, it has the disadvantage of cutting out key scenes, which show St. Petersburg as it was in 1905. Moreover, Bely’s cutting was not always too careful. For example, he would cut scenes but leave reference to these cut scenes later in the book. The continuity definitely suffers in places.

There are four English versions. The first version was a translation of the 1928 Soviet version by John Cournos and published by the Grove Press. The second version was a translation of the 1922 version by John E. Malmstad and Robert A. Maguire and published by the Indiana University Press. Malmstad and Maguire claim to have corrected some of the continuity errors in the Russian 1922 version and claim, correctly, that this version is faster-paced. The third version was by David McDuff and was published by Penguin. This is a translation of the 1913 version and therefore it is longer than the previous two. McDuff claims its completeness makes it the better version. In 2009 the Pushkin Press published a translation by John Elsworth. The Times Literary Supplement review said that the translation was academic in the best sense… less satisfactory than McDuff’s when it comes to the lyric or haunted passages. I have read both the Malmstad/Maguire and the McDuff versions and prefer the McDuff version, as it is more detailed. Others may prefer a faster moving novel. The Malmstad/Maguire is the easiest to find (in the US and UK) and the McDuff the most difficult to find. Is there any other twentieth century novel with four different translations?"

My question is simple: does anyone here have any experience of any of these translations and have a recommendation?

Last edited:

Bartleby

I suggest you just take a look at both the two more recent translations and see which one you prefer, stylistically, and just go with it. That's what I did at least. I too want to read this book, and, reading the beginning of these two versions I preferd the Pushkin press one. I didn't know about mcduff capturing the lyricism of the novel better. I may want to have some more looks at the texts then :p

Liam

Administrator
Can't recommend the best translation in this case, but thought I'd warn you about Bely's "novel"--it is notoriously difficult and (from what I remember) non-linear. It repays close reading, as the text is very rich in symbolism, but it is far from "conventional." So don't expect Tolstoy's clarity or Chekhov's probity or Dostoyevsky's expansive soulfulness: Bely was primarily a poet and his so-called "novel" reflects that. In fact, I wouldn't call it a novel at all, I would cheat, like Coetzee did with Elizabeth Costello, and call it simply a "fiction," :)

tiganeasca

Liam,
Thanks for the comments. In fact, I've cheated by reading the beginnings of it online in one of the translations (Maguire, as I recall). I'm not especially good at non-linear (Faulkner is probably my limit) but (a) it seems to be quite intriguing, (b) it's undeniably a major work by an author I don't otherwise know, and (c) well, why not?! I am a fan of McDuff for other things but the various articles I've read or perused makes good solid points for each of the translations. I'd probably be better off just jumping in, but...ya never know. (Speaking of which, The Mabinogion is also on my short list and there, I just pulled the trigger and ordered it new in a recent translation that seems to read easily.)

tiganeasca

I suggest you just take a look at both the two more recent translations and see which one you prefer, stylistically, and just go with it. That's what I did at least. I too want to read this book, and, reading the beginning of these two versions I preferd the Pushkin press one. I didn't know about mcduff capturing the lyricism of the novel better. I may want to have some more looks at the texts then :p

David,
I can't tell from your note whether you've dipped into the Maguire translation (which I think you can access for free, at least at the beginning, on Amazon). You're probably right and I'm probably overthinking this but there have been more than a few instances where a found a translation so off-putting that I blamed it on the author--only to find another translation far more to my liking. So, I figured I'd at least ask.

Liam

Administrator
The Mabinogion... in a recent translation that seems to read easily
Which one would that be? I wholeheartedly recommend Sioned Davies' translation, hers is currently THE best there is, so I hope that's the one you bought, :)

Bartleby

David,
I can't tell from your note whether you've dipped into the Maguire translation (which I think you can access for free, at least at the beginning, on Amazon). You're probably right and I'm probably overthinking this but there have been more than a few instances where a found a translation so off-putting that I blamed it on the author--only to find another translation far more to my liking. So, I figured I'd at least ask.
Oh no, I haven't taken any look at the Maguire one. I've compared (very briefly) the Mcduff and the Elsworth ones. And found the latter more to my liking.

Name's Gabriel btw :p

tiganeasca

Oh no, I haven't taken any look at the Maguire one. I've compared (very briefly) the Mcduff and the Elsworth ones. And found the latter more to my liking.

Name's Gabriel btw :p

How embarrassing! Now I wonder where I went wrong. But in any case, apologies. I will not forget.

Glad you found one you liked. One of my concerns about that translation is the fact (apparently) that there are no notes. Has that been an obstacle?

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Which one would that be? I wholeheartedly recommend Sioned Davies' translation, hers is currently THE best there is, so I hope that's the one you bought, :)

How fortunate! I bought the right one. Now all I need to do is read it.

Bartleby

images
How embarrassing! Now I wonder where I went wrong. But in any case, apologies. I will not forget.

Glad you found one you liked. One of my concerns about that translation is the fact (apparently) that there are no notes. Has that been an obstacle?
Haha no worries mate :)

And, indeed, there aren't notes on this edition. I expect it not to be a problem, and most of the time these notes are pretty usuless to me, say, they'll talk about what a given image in the book reflect a given influence of the writer and what not... I like notes when they are strictly necessary to understand some aspect of the novel, the context, differences in culture etc. But then I'm just guessing, for I haven't started reading the book yet...

Last edited:

aclassicread

Not sure if this is still relevant, but I dove into this when selecting a translation of war and peace, and the translations of volkonsky and pevear were overall regarded as the best ones.

tiganeasca

Not sure if this is still relevant, but I dove into this when selecting a translation of war and peace, and the translations of volkonsky and pevear were overall regarded as the best ones.

As you probably know, P/V are fairly controversial. In the USA, at least, there has been a fair amount of "pushback" against their work. I can't speak to the finer points of accuracy, but I can certainly speak to what flows well and seems both fluid and fluent. I have read quite a bit of Russian literature in translation over the years and from a variety of translators. I also used to own a number of P/V translations. Then I started reading them. In a word, I couldn't stand them. They sounded, to my ear, like translations of translations. The English simply didn't ring true and it didn't matter who the author was: everything began to sound like P/V, not the author. So I actually got rid of all those editions and replaced them with various other authors--different translators depending on the author. And, quite simply, I've never been happier. I've read a lot more Russian lit since doing that and the only author I still can't crack, I'm embarrassed to admit, is Dostoevsky. I've read many, many Russian authors and I've tried a number of his works by different translators. I think the problem is more basic: I simply don't like the "way" he writes, the way he tells a story. My loss, I'm sure.

Liam

Administrator
As someone who is actually fluent in Russian (and thus can read the literature in question both in the original and in translation), I have to admit that P&V have become (and subsequently suffer from having become) a "brand."

I agree that any book translated by them basically reads the same in terms of style. The bad news is that there aren't enough translators of Russian literature out there, so we don't have much else to choose from.

Maybe one of these days I will roll up my sleeves and start my own translation project(s), ?

aclassicread

As you probably know, P/V are fairly controversial. In the USA, at least, there has been a fair amount of "pushback" against their work. I can't speak to the finer points of accuracy, but I can certainly speak to what flows well and seems both fluid and fluent. I have read quite a bit of Russian literature in translation over the years and from a variety of translators. I also used to own a number of P/V translations. Then I started reading them. In a word, I couldn't stand them. They sounded, to my ear, like translations of translations. The English simply didn't ring true and it didn't matter who the author was: everything began to sound like P/V, not the author. So I actually got rid of all those editions and replaced them with various other authors--different translators depending on the author. And, quite simply, I've never been happier. I've read a lot more Russian lit since doing that and the only author I still can't crack, I'm embarrassed to admit, is Dostoevsky. I've read many, many Russian authors and I've tried a number of his works by different translators. I think the problem is more basic: I simply don't like the "way" he writes, the way he tells a story. My loss, I'm sure.
Thank you @tiganeasca I did not know that they were so controversial, but this is good to know! @Liam which translator would you recommend?

tiganeasca

The bad news is that there aren't enough translators of Russian literature out there, so we don't have much else to choose from.

I would agree that the choice is not huge, but there are certainly almost always a number of choices, depending on what author you're considering. Not all older translations are necessarily to be avoided. And often, some of the "classic" translations (such as, for example, Garnett--which, admittedly have problems) have been "updated." Thus, I am right now re-reading some Gogol in translations that started with Garnett but were updated, in some instances substantially (by Leonard Kent). So while there may not be a huge number of options, I have always found a pretty fair number available to choose from. Other things I've read in the past year that I've liked (the translation, if not the original) would include Trifonov (by Michael Glenny) and Grossman (by Robert Chandler). And I think that if you find a translator who seems right for you, that often helps. Thus, I have read several things translated by David McDuff that I've enjoyed. (The same thing, of course, works for other languages as well. So, for example, I have long trusted and enjoyed works translated from Spanish and Portuguese by Margaret Jull Costa, to pick just one example. The side benefit is that if I see that she's translated an author I've never heard of, I'll often trust her knowledge and instincts and try out that unknown-to-me author and learn something!)

Last edited:

aclassicread

I would agree that the choice is not huge, but there are certainly almost always a number of choices, depending on what author you're considering. Not all older translations are necessarily to be avoided. And often, some of the "classic" translations (such as, for example, Garnett--which, admittedly have problems) have been "updated." Thus, I am right now re-reading some Gogol in translations that started with Garnett but were updated, in some instances substantially (by Leonard Kent). So while there may not be a huge number of options, I have always found a pretty fair number available to choose from. Other things I've read in the past year that I've liked (the translation, if not the original) would include Trifonov (by Michael Glenny) and Grossman (by Robert Chandler). And I think that if you find a translator who seems right for you, that often helps. Thus, I have read several things translated by David McDuff that I've enjoyed. (The same thing, of course, works for other languages as well. So, for example, I have long trusted and enjoyed works translated from Spanish and Portuguese by Margaret Jull Costa, to pick just one example. The side benefit is that if I see that she's translated an author I've never heard of, I'll often trust her knowledge and instincts and try out that unknown-to-me author and learn something!)
Thanks for your suggestions! I think Santa is bringing me P&V, but after that I'll definitely look into these translators! :)

The best thing to do is learn Russian! :p But slightly more seriously, I have Dostoevsky translations by Sidney Monas (Crime and Punishment) and Constance Garnett (The Brothers Karamazov), and besides finding these to be great reads, I've heard praise for Constance Garnett elsewhere. Significantly, she was, according to Wikipedia, "the first English translator of Dostoyevsky and Chekhov, and one of the first translators to render almost all works by Turgenev, Goncharov, Ostrovsky, Herzen, and Tolstoy into English." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_Garnett

Last edited: