WLF Prize 2022 - Javier Marías

Should Javier Marías still be in competition?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartleby

Good day to all!
So, a majority voted for Javier Marías to remain in contention for this year's prize, I hope it's fine with everyone. Next year, if we're still doing this, we can think of a rule concerning authors on our shortlist who've suddenly passed away...

Liam

Administrator
Next year, if we're still doing this, we can think of a rule concerning authors on our shortlist who've suddenly passed away...
Hopefully it won't come to that again, but the world is so unpredictable. I mean, we all thought the Queen was going to live forever, right? ?

Stevie B

Current Member
Hopefully it won't come to that again, but the world is so unpredictable. I mean, we all thought the Queen was going to live forever, right? ?
Just to be safe, perhaps we should only nominate authors who are younger than 60? Oh, look! Jón Kalman Stefánsson, my favorite Icelandic writer, is turning 59. What a coincidence! We should nominate him before it's too late! :D

Stevie B

Current Member
Your enthusiasm for Stefansson has made me really, really curious about this writer, :)
My subliminal messaging about Stefansson hasn't worked, so I've shifted to an over-the-top marketing campaign. If you wanted to try one of his books, at some point, I think Heaven and Hell would be a perfect place to begin.

1663699536063.png

Bartleby

When I tried to read Marías I found exactly what I hate most in a novel (a boring, superfluous narration mixed with rancid lucubrations and a pinch of misogyny), so I barely ended the reading and have no plans to try again.
I'm even more curious about this book in particular now. A friend of mine, a Brazilian woman, and Portuguese teacher, is very much a feminist, as much as you can get, extremely leftist, and she ADORES The Infatuations... Everyone seems to like Marías here in Brazil, at least I don't remember seeing any kind of comment of his fiction being sexist and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.