WLF Virtual Meet-up

Ludus

Reader
How's it going, fellas? Who's in for a virtual meet-up?

For those who are interested, we probably should start by stating our city and time zone, so we can discuss the optimal hour of the day for a meeting.

I'm currently living in Baja California (México) so that should be... UTC-7?

Also we should be looking for the safer way of doing this, so our personal information is not compromised in the process. What do you guys know about that?

Bartleby

Super up for this. Don’t know much about these online meeting platforms and what would be the safest one, tho.
I’m in Rio, Brazil (GMT -3).

Liam

Administrator
Zoom is probably safest, and you can also choose if you want to display a video of yourself to others. You have the option of using the audio without the video. You need to download Zoom (it's free) to your computer or phone.

One person creates an event and sends out invitations (via email) to those that want to participate. You click on the link in the invitation and proceed to the meeting. You can leave the meeting at any time, but if the head organizer leaves before the others, the whole window closes, which essentially means that the head organizer should be the last to leave, :)

I am in the Eastern Time Zone (so 3 hours ahead of California), my only concern is with our European and Asian members--finding the right time that works for everyone might be tricky. For us in the Americas we might have to do it in the morning/early afternoon to accommodate the others, as it will be early to late evening time for them.

But we'll see. First, let us see who is even interested? :)

Ludus

Reader
Zoom is probably safest, and you can also choose if you want to display a video of yourself to others. You have the option of using the audio without the video. You need to download Zoom (it's free) to your computer or phone.

One person creates an event and sends out invitations (via email) to those that want to participate. You click on the link in the invitation and proceed to the meeting. You can leave the meeting at any time, but if the head organizer leaves before the others, the whole window closes, which essentially means that the head organizer should be the last to leave, :)

I am in the Eastern Time Zone (so 3 hours ahead of California), my only concern is with our European and Asian members--finding the right time that works for everyone might be tricky. For us in the Americas we might have to do it in the morning/early afternoon to accommodate the others, as it will be early to late evening time for them.

But we'll see. First, let us see who is even interested? :)

In my experience, it's now possible to access a zoom meeting with your browser. Downloading zoom is only necessary if you are the host or you want to use your phone.

Bagharu

Reader
I am from Bangladesh, that would set me in GMT+6! Though I can accommodate almost any time of the day for the meeting, be it early morning or late late night. So any time convenient for others works for me!

kpjayan

Reader
At GMT +5:30, I should also be ok with most of your time zones. It would fall either early morning or late evening.

Liam

Administrator
First of, which day of the week works best for people? Weekday? Weekend? I would suggest either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. If we do it late morning (that is, morning for us, New Worlders, hehe), our European friends can have a chance to join in, as it will be afternoon/early evening for them, depending on the location.

Bartleby

First of, which day of the week works best for people? Weekday? Weekend? I would suggest either Friday night or Saturday morning/afternoon. If we do it late morning (that is, morning for us, New Worlders, hehe), our European friends can have a chance to join in, as it will be afternoon/early evening for them, depending on the location.
I’ve currently got zero responsibilities, so any day and time are good for me :)

Last edited:

papiliobuddha

I'm at GMT +5:30. Most of your preferences would be early morning or late evening for me, and that should be fine.
(I'm new to this forum, and am still reading through the various threads here. But I'll be interested in joining.)

Liam

Administrator
OK, how about this Friday, July 31st?

11am Mexico City Time
12pm New York Time
1pm Rio Time
5pm London Time
7pm Moscow Time
9:30pm New Delhi Time

Would this one hour time slot work for people? Unfortunately this would make it midnight in the Philippines and 1am in Tokyo, if any members from those time zones would like to join our chat, but I just can't seem to come up with a perfect time that would make it not too early for Mexico and not too late for Japan.

Ludus

Reader
OK, how about this Friday, July 31st?

11am Mexico City Time
12pm New York Time
1pm Rio Time
5pm London Time
7pm Moscow Time
9:30pm New Delhi Time

Would this one hour time slot work for people? Unfortunately this would make it midnight in the Philippines and 1am in Tokyo, if any members from those time zones would like to join our chat, but I just can't seem to come up with a perfect time that would make it not too early for Mexico and not too late for Japan.
Works for me too! <3

Bartleby

Let me ask something: if I’m using my phone, do I have to download the zoom app or can I access the meeting on the browser alone? Do I have to have a zoom account created beforehand?