Your favourite painting

Bagharu

Reader
I always dream about an art trip to Spain (One of several actually) where I see Velasquez's Las Meninas and after that go straight to Barcelona without seeing another painting and devour Picasso's 58 variations on Las Meninas. That would be so surreal! To my knowledge no single piece of art has been paid such stupendous homage by another artist, let alone by someone as big as Picasso

Liam

Administrator
Ah, I see now, no wonder I couldn't remember if I had seen those Picasso paintings--not if they're in Barcelona! :) (we only went to Madrid)--

But there's still plenty of Picassos in Madrid, I am really happy I was able to see Guernica in particular.

tiganeasca

No doubt this says more about me than I would care to have anyone explain, but still, I've been a fan of Arnold Böcklin's "Isle of the Dead" for many years. (In fact, he painted at least four different versions of the work; my favorite is the darkest, I think.) I'm also quite taken with a tone poem of the same name (and yes, inspired by the painting) by Sergei Rachmaninoff that to me captures the mood of the painting extremely well.

isle-dead-i-255_49677.jpg

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
'Daak' had a snippet of a painter unknown to me, in their this weeks letter..

Liam

Administrator
American Gothic got me thinking today: Who, in all actuality, is my favorite American artist? I suppose I asked myself this question because I come from the US but I never thought about it before--I don't tend to think in terms of nationalities but in terms of works I happen to like or dislike.

Anyway, I concluded that I have two answers to my question: my favorite American artist is probably Edward Hopper, known primarily for his "lonely figures" set in empty urban landscapes.

But if you asked me about my favorite American painting, I would have an entirely different answer: which would be Christina's World (1948) by Andrew Wyeth, which I've always found to be both enigmatic and haunting.

Do you happen to have a favorite artist from your own country?

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Sorry, I don't think I will ever be able to shut up about this painting, LOL--

I don't know.... Somehow, when I learned that the woman who Wyeth depicts had a muscular disorder, chose not to use a wheelchair, and crawled everywhere, it changed the picture forever for me. It doesn't make it better or worse and it doesn't affect my thoughts about the woman, but it still changes how I see the picture.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
"I stood there... and sensed an infinite scream passing through nature..." WOW.
Loved this video about one of my favorite artists. Didn't know he came from such a troubled family background! :confused:
Also didn't know that this emoji has been "inspired" by his work, LOL: ?

Liam

Administrator
Just learned about a new artist (thanks to Wim Wenders' recent documentary): Anselm Kiefer. I am quite taken with his works, I must say! Found an interesting article here about the influence of Paul Celan's poetry on his work.