Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

redhead

Blahblahblah

I knew it!

Anyway, I like Glück based on the two collections I've read. A little disappointed to see it go to an American and not someone from a different part of the world, but oh well, she deserves it imo

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I don't read much poetry, so have limited knowledge of poets, and this is one I've never heard of, making this probably my second Nobel who? moment, since whenever I got interested in all this. First was JMG Le Clezio.

meepmurp

I am personally very happy about this win!

I, too, was discouraged from including her on any speculative lists because of the Tomas Transtromer prize mention but I guess I should learn to trust my guts. She's one of my favorite poets and legitimately one of the most - if not the most - respected and influential American Poets writing today.

For those of you struggling with her individual poems, I would suggest you try an entire collection. Her style is so crystalline and austere it can almost come across as bland in one-off encounters but she's one of the few poets out there who really thinks about collections in a conceptual sense - like The Wild Iris (a garden) or A Village Life (a village). So the poems should really be read in the context of the others conceived with it. I'd start with one of those collections. Her essays on poetry - especially in the collection Proof and Theories - are also great and widely influential.

Final thoughts:

Anne Carson was definitely being read next to her and I think can maybe be released from future speculation - at least for a bit. They share similar thematic territories - femininity, affect, conceptual approaches to collections, the Classics - and are almost polar opposites in the context of American letters. Carson is more formal fireworks whereas Glück is like a minimalist zen master. I'm unsurprised to see the Swedes go for ice over fire.

And, for all you Bob Dylan haters, here's your redemption, you old prudes. :)

I’m happy and a bit disappointed... Some of the the poems I read from her early career were a bit awkward, a bit too unsubtle about feminist ideas (no problem with expressing these ideas, but well) but then at some point they were really good, perhaps from The Wild Iris on, the ones from Faithful and Virtuous Night being my favourites... so I guess it’s ok to improve with time... :)

Same - she feels like a worthy winner but as I'm not particularly drawn to poetry I won't be able to get excited about this. It is however definitely a "safe" choice in the sense of safe meaning "traditional" rather than non-controversial so those predictions were right at least. Will go some way to restoring order.

For me the most interesting thing is what this means for next year... I'd say it's almost certain not to be anyone from North America, or writing in English. So out goes Kincaid now, out goes Carson, Simic, Robinson, Atwood, and chances are boosted for Asia, Europe & Africa.... But that's for another thread in another year!

meepmurp

A good overview - with poems - for those still unfamiliar with her:

Apparently, the Nobel Prize twitter account did gave some clues with their last day tweets:

Tagore: a poet
Hemingway: an author from the United States of America.
Morrisson: First USA female awarded, indicating a second one coming soon.

Even the tweets from September suggested the likelihood of a female winner, I would say.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I am personally very happy about this win!

I, too, was discouraged from including her on any speculative lists because of the Tomas Transtromer prize mention but I guess I should learn to trust my guts. She's one of my favorite poets and legitimately one of the most - if not the most - respected and influential American Poets writing today.

For those of you struggling with her individual poems, I would suggest you try an entire collection. Her style is so crystalline and austere it can almost come across as bland in one-off encounters but she's one of the few poets out there who really thinks about collections in a conceptual sense - like The Wild Iris (a garden) or A Village Life (a village). So the poems should really be read in the context of the others conceived with it. I'd start with one of those collections. Her essays on poetry - especially in the collection Proof and Theories - are also great and widely influential.

Final thoughts:

Anne Carson was definitely being read next to her and I think can maybe be released from future speculation - at least for a bit. They share similar thematic territories - femininity, affect, conceptual approaches to collections, the Classics - and are almost polar opposites in the context of American letters. Carson is more formal fireworks whereas Glück is like a minimalist zen master. I'm unsurprised to see the Swedes go for ice over fire.

And, for all you Bob Dylan haters, here's your redemption, you old prudes. :)
Thank you for that. A few of her poems read individually or in small groups in anthologies certainly match your description. Good to know that to get the full effect of her poetry it is best to read a whole book by her.

Bartleby

I’ve enjoyed that academia seems quite firmly behind the idea of Dylan as an excellent Nobel choice compared to literary journalists who most likely don’t read many Nobel winners or poets in general hating his win.
Journalists these days ??

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Great sleuthing by the way, using the library narrows the field down to a manageable size of writers to speculate about.

So it looks like there were certain categories into which fell their potential choices from among those writers nominated. In this year's case, French novelists (Ernaux and Houellebecq); Chinese fiction writers (Can Xue and Yu Hua), European playwrights (Botho Strauß and John Fosse) and the category from which the winner came: North American poets (Carson, Simic, and Gluck) plus dark horse Friederike Mayrocker.

Bartleby

For me the most interesting thing is what this means for next year... I'd say it's almost certain not to be anyone from North America, or writing in English. So out goes Kincaid now, out goes Carson, Simic, Robinson, Atwood, and chances are boosted for Asia, Europe & Africa.... But that's for another thread in another year!
I’m only sad about Carson’s and Marilynne’s future chances :(

Sisyphus

Reader
Great sleuthing by the way, using the library narrows the field down to a manageable size of writers to speculate about.

So it looks like there were certain categories into which fell their potential choices from among those writers nominated. In this year's case, French novelists (Ernaux and Houellebecq); Chinese fiction writers (Can Xue and Yu Hua), European playwrights (Botho Strauß and John Fosse) and the category from which the winner came: North American poets (Carson, Simic, and Gluck) plus dark horse Friederike Mayrocker.
I think the list of 20 or so writers that we had could have been more or less this year's longlist, while Simic, Gluck, Ernaux, Mayrocker and some other, the short list. It is great that we don't have to wait until 2070.

Last edited: