Nobel Prize in Literature 2020

Sisyphus

Reader
But I compiled that list late Into the summer at which point a shortlist would have surely already existed. So it’s hard to say who all was really in contention and who was just checked out for other reasons.
It could be that they don't return the books of the writers from the longlist so they don't give any indication who are the final 5.

Bartleby

I remember someone citing a source saying that this would be Wästberg year of choosing, and him being one of the Jurors of the Tranströmer prize that awarded Glück in February, I can definitely see him pushing for her Nobel win as well.

Daniel del Real

I remember someone citing a source saying that this would be Wästberg year of choosing, and him being one of the Jurors of the Tranströmer prize that awarded Glück in February, I can definitely see him pushing for her Nobel win as well.
Surely not that guy who predicted a filmmaker and then a perennial candidate.

Sisyphus

Reader
At least now they can return to Europe again. I bet next year it'll be a head to head race between European playwrights, European novelists and Chinese novelists. So Fosse, Houellebecq or Can Xue/Yu Hua. Bookmark me.

Bartleby

At least now they can return to Europe again. I bet next year it'll be a head to head race between European playwrights, European novelists and Chinese novelists. So Fosse, Houellebecq or Can Xue/Yu Hua. Bookmark me.
Yeah maybe it could be Fosse next year, since his Septology will have been completely published by the end of 2021.

Last edited:

Sisyphus

Reader
Yeah maybe it could be Fosse next year, since his Septology will have been completely published by the end of the 2021.

Either Fosse or another European playwright. I can see this category having the biggest chances next year, followed by Chinese novelists. I mean they awarded two European novelists last year, not to mention the years before, so I doubt they'll pick another EN next year when there are other alternatives.

EDIT: It's a matter of time until Daniel starts "?"-ing my predictions too.

Last edited:

Uemarasan

Reader
I’m happy and a bit disappointed... Some of the poems I read from her early career were a bit awkward, a bit too unsubtle about feminist ideas (no problem with expressing these ideas, but well) but then at some point they were really good, perhaps from The Wild Iris on, the ones from Faithful and Virtuous Night being my favourites... so I guess it’s ok to improve with time... :)
Yes, I’m a little disappointed, too. Personally, Carson is by far the best North American poet writing today. I prefer her stylistic pyrotechnics to Gluck’s meditative verses. Then again, the Swedish Academy does have a habit of staying away from awarding avant-garde poetry.

I agree, though. The artistic gap that exists between Gluck’s first books of poetry and The Wild Iris is enormous. The Wild Iris probably remains the best book of poetry written by an American poet in the last few decades. I think her later work has yet to achieve the same heights.

It’s a little sad to know that Gluck has a Nobel while Frost does not. Hopefully, at some point, Carson can be eligible again in the future.

lucasdiniz

Reader
Maybe it’ll be an entire decade of women ?

Seria meu sonho? I recently started reading LaRose by Louise Erdrich, she's such a good writer. Of course I can't talk about her entire body of her work, but she's been mentioned here quite a lot of times. Why not another Louise in a decade? :p
Now with Glück I have an excuse to start reading poetry. I tried reading some last year but didn't succeed.

Stevie B

Current Member
Was I the only one here who predicted a Louise Gluck win? :unsure:

Okay, so I did vote for Anne Carson. But like Carson, Gluck 1) is female, 2) is from North America, and 3) is a poet. To my thinking, I was 75% correct and so I'm rounding up to 100%. ;)

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah

Okay, so I did vote for Anne Carson. But like Carson, Gluck is 1) is female, 2) is from North America, and 3) is a poet. To my thinking, I was 75% correct and so I'm rounding up to 100%. ;)

Like you, I was between Carson and Glück. Especially after those posts on twitter this morning

Uemarasan

Reader

Okay, so I did vote for Anne Carson. But like Carson, Gluck is 1) is female, 2) is from North America, and 3) is a poet. To my thinking, I was 75% correct and so I'm rounding up to 100%. ;)

I think it was more like Gluck was the other huge possibility, but people would have much preferred Carson as a laureate ?

Liam

Administrator
I am, as always, happy that it's a poet!

Also, Anne Carson is only 70. If she's in good health (and nothing indicates otherwise), she still may very well win in the next 10-15 years.

hayden

I didn't even register her name during the Swedish announcement. Sounded like a garble. Wasn't expecting him to announce her at all.

I'm shocked to be honest. I don't understand why they bothered giving her the Transtromer prize.
Will post more thoughts later.
(Luckily, she's still a very good poet).

I think we have evidence the shortlist was most likely—
Glück
Simic
Carson

Which is making me worry about Carson ever winning... hopefully she lands it. If there was ever a time to share a prize, Glück/Carson would have made sense...

Also, Thiong'o's chances are done. That's it. A little sad about it.

Last edited: