WLF Prize in Literature 2022

DouglasM

Reader
I love Adélia Prado and was actually seriously considering voting for her. Unfortunately, there aren't many translations of her work around, probably most wouldn't be able to read her - and that is sad.

Leseratte

I love Adélia Prado and was actually seriously considering voting for her. Unfortunately, there aren't many translations of her work around, probably most wouldn't be able to read her - and that is sad.
I wonder, if she is much read in Brazil these days. I found Eu quero minha mãe (I want my Mother) by her and intend to start to read it soon.

Last edited:
20 nominations so far, things are looking interesting ;)

A few people from last year haven't submitted their picks yet, so we might still see some fluctuations here and there :)

Might it be worth posting a reference to this thread on the discussion thread for the 2021 winner? I only suggest this because some forum users who'd be interested or participated last year may not have spotted the existence of this new thread (I only did by chance; I tend to hang about on the open threads I already know exist...)

Bartleby

Might it be worth posting a reference to this thread on the discussion thread for the 2021 winner? I only suggest this because some forum users who'd be interested or participated last year may not have spotted the existence of this new thread (I only did by chance; I tend to hang about on the open threads I already know exist...)
I remember someone having done that already (i.e. posting a link on the 2021 thread to this year's); either way, I've sent a link both to the nominations form and this here thread via private message, so people should be aware of its existence, provided they've been online on the forum these past few days ;)

DouglasM

Reader
there are quite a few volumes of her selected poems in English, and old one, from 1990, and two more recent ones. I myself need to read more from her ?

Yeah, I've read some of those, but they're not even close to being genuinely representative of her work, and some are hard to find - but sure, it's better than nothing. Unfortunately, I did not nominate her this time (or any other poet, sorry @Liam).

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Reviewing Adélia Prado's first collection, Drummond de Andrade, who knew a thing or two about poetry, once wrote that "Saint Francis of Assisi himself was dictating poems to a housewife from Minas Geraes" (think West Virginia). Drummond, of course, was being facetious, Adélia's poems are much better.

Leseratte

I don´t read so much poetry, but she sounds forceful and very modern. I´ll see what books I can find in Portuguese.