WLF Prize in Literature 2022

Bartleby

Wait... does this mean that a last minute vote may change everything yet again? LOL
Who knows. There are several members who were active during Nobel Speculation time that I sent the link to, a couple of them did fill the form, something I honestly didn't expect, so everything's possible :).

Papageno

Who knows. There are several members who were active during Nobel Speculation time that I sent the link to, a couple of them did fill the form, something I honestly didn't expect, so everything's possible :).

Oh, this is so exciting! Almost like waiting for Mats Malm to mutter the name of the Nobel laureate. I am very eager to see whether my oh-so-subtle subliminal messaging worked!

Bartleby

Good morning, everyone!

Without further delay:

There were 34 nominations proposed; they are as follows (by order of submission):

1. Mia Couto, 2. Michel Houellebecq, 3. António Lobo Antunes
1. António Lobo Antunes, 2. Don DeLillo, 3. Nélida Piñon
1. Don DeLillo 2. John Ralston Saul 3. Magdalena Tulli
1. Adonis, 2. Javier Marias, 3. Duong Thu Huong
1. Javier Cercas, 2. Hoda Barakat, 3. Mia Couto
1. António Lobo Antunes, 2. Paul Auster, 3. Mia Couto
1. Pierre Michon, 2. Yoko Tawada, 3. Amitav Ghosh
1. Javier Marias, 2. Gerald Murnane, 3. Fleur Jaeggy
1. Saša Stanišić, 2. Nino Haratischwili, 3. Arturo Pérez-Reverte
1. Duong Thu Huong 2. Fleur Jaeggy 3. Yu Hua
1. Yu Hua, 2. Fleur Jaeggy, 3. Boubacar Boris Diop
1. Miyamoto Teru, 2. Fleur Jaeggy, 3. Horacio Castellanos Moya
1. Vladimir Sorokin, 2. Yoko Tawada, 3. Gerald Murnane
1. Duong Thu Huong, 2. Ali Smith, 3. Fleur Jaeggy
1. Cees Nooteboom, 2. Tomas Venclova, 3. Helene Cixous
1. Scholastique Mukasonga, 2. Lyudmila Ulitskaya 3. Zoe Wicomb
1. Jon Kalman Stefansson, 2. Gerald Murnane, 3. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi
1. Adonis/Adunis, 2. Javier Marias, 3. Maryse Conde
1. Peter Nadas, 2. Mircea Cartarescu, 3. Mahmoud Dowlatabadi
1. Anne Carson, 2. Linton Kwesi Johnson, 3. Alice Notley
1. Stevie Wonder, 2. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, 3. Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland
1 Adélia Prado, 2. Ana Blandiana, 3. Pierre Michon
1. Javier Marias, 2. Jamaica Kincaid, 3. Antonio Lobo Antunes
1. Javier Cercas, 2. Haruki Murakami, 3 Paul Auster
1. Paul Muldoon, 2. Javier Marias, 3. Gerald Murnane
1. Duong Thu Huong, 2. Yu Hua, 3. Louise Erdrich
1. Antonio Lobo Antunes, 2. Jon Fosse 3. Fleur Jaeggy
1. Mircea Cartarescu, 2. Claudio Magris, 3. Javier Marias
1. Gerald Murnane, 2. Enrique Vila-Matas, 3. Marlene van Niekerk
1. Mieko Kanai, 2. Bei Dao, 3. Ryoko Yamagishi
1. Pierre Michon, 2. Ibrahim al-Koni, 3. Boris Boubacar Diop
1. Fleur Jaeggy, 2. Tahar Ben Jelloun, 3. Ana Blandiana
1. Stefan Hertmans, 2. Annie Ernaux, 3. Daniel Kehlmann
1. Gerald Murnane, 2. Fleur Jaeggy, 3. Javier Marias

By a system of points (in which the candidate in spot 1 received 3 points; the one in spot 2 received 2 points; and the one in spot 3 received 1 point) this is the final list by order of points received:

Javier Marías 14
Fleur Jaeggy 14
Gerald Murnane 12
António Lobo Antunes 11
Duong Thu Huong 10
Pierre Michon 7
Adonis 6
Javier Cercas 6
Yu Hua 6
Mia Couto 5
Don DeLillo 5
Mircea Cartarescu 5
Yoko Tawada 4
Saša Stanišić 3
Miyamoto Teru 3
Vladimir Sorokin 3
Cees Nooteboom 3
Scholastique Mukasonga 3
Jon Kalman Stefansson 3
Peter Nadas 3
Anne Carson 3
Stevie Wonder 3
Paul Auster 3
Paul Muldoon 3
Mieko Kanai 3
Ana Blandiana 3
Stefan Hertmans 3
Michel Houellebecq 2
John Ralston Saul 2
Hoda Barakat 2
Nino Haratischwili 2
Ali Smith 2
Tomas Venclova 2
Lyudmila Ulitskaya 2
Linton Kwesi Johnson 2
Mick Jagger and Keith Richards 2
Jamaica Kincaid 2
Haruki Murakami 2
Jon Fosse 2
Enrique Vila-Matas 2
Claudio Magris 2
Ibrahim al-Koni 2
Boubacar Boris Diop 2
Bei Dao 2
Tahar Ben Jelloun 2
Annie Ernaux 2
Nélida Piñon 1
Magdalena Tulli 1
Amitav Gosh 1
Arturo Pérez-Reverte 1
Horacio Castellanos Moya 1
Helene Cixous 1
Zoe Wicomb 1
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichi 1
Maryse Conde 1
Mahmoud Dowlatabadi 1
Alice Notley 1
Adélia Prado 1
Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, and Eddie Holland 1
Louise Erdrich 1
Marlene van Niekerk 1
Ryoko Yamagishi 1
Daniel Kehlmann 1

So as you can see, the top three authors are:

Javier Marías 14
Fleur Jaeggy 14
Gerald Murnane 12

For the time being, these will be the writers to be discussed.

As from last year, we had 19 votes over the number of writers to be on the shortlist, with 11 people voting for it to consist of three authors. If anyone wants to revisit this rule, or to suggest some revisions for this year's shortlist in particular, or any other proposal, just say so, and we can come to an agreement.

That's it for now. I am really thankful to everyone for submitting their nominations! I hope we can have fun discussions about these writers' works :)

Bartleby

If you follow the timeline of nominations you can see what a rollercoaster this was! Basically the 5 top writers kept switching places, Marías being very much stablished from the beginning, Lobo Antunes and Duong Thu Huong also holding up for a long while, with Jaeggy and Murnane rising slowly and steadily by the end, taking the top positions finally.

Edit: also, regardless of ranked positions, Jaeggy, Marías, and Murnane got the most nominations, 8, 7, and 6 respectively. Followed by 5 for Lobo Antunes and 4 by Duong Thu Huong.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

Good morning, everyone!

Without further delay:

There were 34 nominations proposed; they are as follows (by order of submission):

By a system of points (in which the candidate in spot 1 received 3 points; the one in spot 2 received 2 points; and the one in spot 3 received 1 point) this is the final list by order of points received:

Javier Marías 14
Fleur Jaeggy 14
Gerald Murnane 12

As from last year, we had 19 votes over the number of writers to be on the shortlist, with 11 people voting for it to consist of three authors. If anyone wants to revisit this rule, or to suggest some revisions for this year's shortlist in particular, or any other proposal, just say so, and we can come to an agreement.

That's it for now. I am really thankful to everyone for submitting their nominations! I hope we can have fun discussions about these writers' works :)
Wow. Golly. Who'd have thought? Well, Murnane is there...Liam will be happy. I'm mostly, uh, speechless. I've read a lot of Jaeggy, a little Marias, and no Murnane. So I guess I know what's moved up my list! Thanks for all your hard work, Gabriel!

P.S. Have to add: the nominations list(s) are absolutely fascinating! Without trying to start a major tangential debate, considering the number of votes cast, I'm disappointed at the number of African writers on the list. A quick count is about 8 (totalling only 18 votes out of 102 cast)...I may have missed a couple. Still, all in all, I find that a sad number. Also fascinating that one person actually picked all three "winners"...the very last vote cast got them all "right"! And clearly made a difference in the final outcome.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

P.P.S. Recommendations, please. Since I am not familiar (enough) with either Marias or Murnane, could those who are familiar with their work take a moment and make a recommendation or two for those of us who don't know where to start? Thanks.

From my reading of Jaeggy, I would personally say that either Sweet Days of Discipline or Last Vanities (a collection of stories)--both of which are short (about 100 pages each)--would be a good introduction to her style and themes.

Wow. Golly. Who'd have thought? Well, Murnane is there...Liam will be happy. I'm mostly, uh, speechless. I've read a lot of Jaeggy, a little Marias, and no Murnane. So I guess I know what's moved up my list! Thanks for all your hard work, Gabriel!

P.S. Have to add: the nominations list(s) are absolutely fascinating! Without trying to start a major tangential debate, considering the number of votes cast, I'm disappointed at the number of African writers on the list. A quick count is about 8 (totalling only 18 votes out of 102 cast)...I may have missed a couple. Still, all in all, I find that a sad number. Also fascinating that one person actually picked all three "winners"...the very last vote cast got them all "right"! And clearly made a difference in the final outcome.

2 people picked all 3 winners actually!

Very excited to re-read some Marias, read some more Murnane, and try Jaeggy out!

Leseratte

Good morning, everyone!

Without further delay:

Javier Marías 14
Fleur Jaeggy 14
Gerald Murnane 12

Hearty thanks for undertaking this with so much precision and transparency, Bartleby!?

Bartleby

@tiganeasca I was a bit sad Lobo Antunes didn't make it, especially since he was looking so good overall, but I'm pleased with the authors we've got. I've been putting off reading Marías and Murnane for way too long, and Jaeggy is an interesting name, one I'd heard of even before being a member here, from a recommendation by a reputed Brazilian literary critic, so reading her is also long overdue.

Well, as I said, I haven't read any of the writers, but I keep seeing people recommending A Heart So White by Marías, and The Plains by Murnane as introductions to their works.

Abhi

The way the nominations culminated is a ride. Really surprised how Lobo Antunes went outside top 3 after so many mentions. Really excited for the shortlist.

Is there any book by Marias that would be a good introduction to his oeuvre but is shorter?

From my reading of Jaeggy, I would personally say that either Sweet Days of Discipline or Last Vanities (a collection of stories)--both of which are short (about 100 pages each)--would be a good introduction to her style and themes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm extremely pumped up to finally start reader Jaeggy after hearing about her so much!

Bartleby

Is there any book by Marias that would be a good introduction to his oeuvre but is shorter?
A Man of Feeling is quite shorter, All Souls as well. It was A Heart... that seemed to have stablished his reputation as a serious writer, tho, at least in the English-speaking world, winning the International Literary Dublin Award.

It's interesting to note that Dark Back of Time seems to be a metafictional novel dealing with the response All Souls got and issues of writing as well, and storytelling, a theme that apparently runs along his whole oeuvre. Later in his career you see many other connections among his books, Berta Isla and his latest, Tomás Nevinson (yet untranslated) having recurring characters.

from the beginning of Your Face Tomorrow:

One should never tell anyone anything or give information or pass on stories or make people remember beings who have never existed or trodden the earth or traversed the world, or who, having done so, are now almost safe in uncertain, one-eyed oblivion. Telling is almost always done as a gift, even when the story contains and injects some poison, it is also a bond, a granting of trust, and rare is the trust or confidence that is not sooner or later betrayed, rare is the close bond that does not grow twisted or knotted and, in the end, become so tangled that a razor or knife is needed to cut it.

His works, from what I've read about them, and from the bits I've read from them, seem to be highly digressive, something that can be a pleasure to many, but also put others off.