Search results

1. Liam

Book Depository

For those of us who shop at Book Depository, taking advantage of its (usually) lower prices as compared to Amazon (especially for titles published in the UK) and free shipping, some bad news: the online store will be closing at the end of this month, ? I'm trying to come up with a list of items...
  2. Liam

To Our Brazilian Friends

To our Brazilian friends: I hope all is well, and that the riots have not posed a danger to you personally (as far as I can tell, they've been isolated to the capital, but who knows?) It looks like you're going through your own version of January 6, :confused: Be well, stay strong!
  3. Liam

Novel(s) of Ideas

So I've been reading a lot of A. S. Byatt lately, her essays in particular, and there is an instance where she talks about her inability to "like," to really like, the fiction of Virginia Woolf. She refers to Woolf's style as too "airy" for her tastes, and makes a case for what she calls "a...
  4. Liam

Moira MacEntee (1922-2021)

Moira MacEntee (Irish: Máire Mhac an tSaoi) died last month, aged 99. She was one of my favorite Irish-language poets. I am away from home right now, but I'll post a few of her poems when I get back. The best book to get if you wish to acquaint yourself with this poet is The Miraculous Parish...
  5. Liam

Posting New Thread(s)

I have said this before, people: please check if a thread on a particular writer, book or (more infrequently) subject already exists before you post it, :) This simple action will ensure that there are no duplicates and will greatly ease the job of moderators who already have their hands full...
  6. Liam

Rayner Heppenstall

Rayner Heppenstall (1911-1981) was a British poet, critic and novelist of considerable depth, briefly associated with the modernists but diverging from them in significant ways. Recently his reputation has dimmed after it emerged (from the publication of his private diaries, as I understand it)...
  7. Liam

Moira MacEntee

Moira MacEntee (Irish: Máire Mhac an tSaoi) is, according to many, "the leading Irish-language poet of the twentieth century." She was born in 1922, the same year that Ireland declared its independence, which means that she is currently the same age, in a manner of speaking, as her country (that...
  8. Liam

Shirley Hazzard: The Great Fire

Allegedly, The Great Fire (2003) took Hazzard twenty years to write. But if you approach the book expecting another War and Peace, you will be severely disappointed, despite the fact that war and peace certainly are two of the three main themes (the third one being love). The story takes place...
  9. Liam

Snuggly Books

I wonder if anyone else has heard or come across this small independent publisher: Snuggly Books? From what I am able to gather, they publish little: usually very short books by little-known or forgotten authors (both modern and not). I like their covers a lot, and I'm curious to see what the...
  10. Liam

Olivia de Havilland (1916-2020)

Not a writer, but a beautiful woman and a brilliant actress, the last of the "Old Hollywood." I've always admired her understated acting, she could deliver a line so softly, there wasn't any other actress (I don't think) quite like her. As sad as the news of her passing makes me feel, I will...
  11. Liam

Nobel Questions

I'm sure all of these have come up individually in various threads over the years, but I'd be interested to see what other people thought about it. The only criterion to answer these questions is your familiarity with the author's work. "Ties" are OK but I wouldn't encourage too many of them, :)...
  12. Liam

Tom Kristensen

A special thanks you to Daniel, who has brought this author to our attention. Tom Kristensen (1893-1974) was a Danish author, writing for the most part in the "expressionist" mode. He was born in London but lived mostly in Copenhagen, where he led a "dissolute lifestyle," according to one...
  13. Liam

Favorite Novels x 4!

This thread is dedicated to Mr. T and to his love of "lists," :) Rules are simple, FOUR lists numbering 25 titles each (so, 100 in total). One list per each of the four categories: 1. British Novels (25 titles) 2. American Novels (25 titles) 3. Anglophone Novels (25 titles) 4. World (i.e...
  14. Liam

Salvador Elizondo

Famous Mexican writer, (1932-2006). His novel The Secret Crypt (1968) is coming out in June in English translation. I have never heard his name mentioned before, and a quick search of the forum's archives yields no information. Has anyone read him and, if so, would you recommend him? Based on...
  15. Liam

Terrence McNally (1938-2020)

Among many other dead, we have our first writer who succumbed to complications secondary to coronavirus: Terrence McNally. He is a new name to me, but I'm eager to check him out. He was almost exclusively a playwright, though he did produce some work for film and television (in other words: he...
  16. Liam

Guido Morselli

Guido Morselli (1912-1973) was an Italian author and essayist. He remained more or less unknown until his death (by suicide), his manuscripts returned to him by the publishers who perceived no particular merit in his work. Morselli is known today as an extremely versatile author, working...
  17. Liam

Stay Safe!

Dear members of the WLF: We hope that the recent Coronavirus pandemic hasn't been disrupting your life and that you and yours are staying safe and healthy! If you feel any kind of anxiety and need a safe place to talk about the situation, you can certainly do so here, with us. It is important...
  18. Liam

The Novel Prize

A new prize that, in theory at least, has a very interesting premise. It is also gratifying to see publishers from three continents collaborating on this. The additional twist is that, although the author may be either previously published or unpublished, all submissions for the prize must be...
  19. Liam

Juan Liscano

Totally randomly, while conducting research into something entirely unrelated, as the gods of irony would have it, I came across a name I have NEVER heard of or encountered before: that of the Venezuelan poet and essayist Juan Liscano (1915-2001). I don't have a lot of information about this...
  20. Liam

Joyce Carol Oates

Shockingly, we don't have a thread on this very famous and VERY prolific (hehe) American writer. I must say, I am not a huge fan of JCO myself, but I've always enjoyed listening to her talks (she is far more intelligent than she lets on). This video distills her views on the art of the short...