Japanese Literature

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
Just google the article title. For some reason, that link prompts membership, but if you click on the same link in the google cache, you can read it.

Japanese newspaper, Asahi Shimbun asked 160 experts to give their lists of most important books representing Hensei Era (1989-now). Here are the results:
The biggest suprise is Jared Diamond.

1. “1Q84” by Haruki Murakami
2. “Never Let Me Go” by Kazuo Ishiguro
3. “Kokuhaku” (Confession) by Ko Machida
4. “Kankokyaku no Tetsugaku” (Tourists’ philosophy) by Hiroki Azuma
4. “Out” by Natsuo Kirino
4. “All She Was Worth” by Miyuki Miyabe
7. “Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies” by Jared Diamond
8. “The Housekeeper and the Professor” by Yoko Ogawa
9. “‘Minshu’ to ‘Aikoku’” (Democracy and patriotism) by Eiji Oguma
10. “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle” by Haruki Murakami

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201903180005.html

redhead

Blahblahblah
They didn't even include Murakami's best novel :p

But also, ick, Jared Diamond. If they wanted a nonfiction book, why did it have to be that one?

Liam

Administrator
^I think it's because he's a biologist trying to be a historian/anthropologist without any in-depth knowledge of those disciplines. So he applies conclusions he's come to in his own field to disciplines that have developed separately from biology. It's an interesting point of view, to be sure, but like you said, it is appallingly misleading.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I've also heard about the deforestation differences between the two countries sharing that island. I naively thought that it was factual. Could you please elaborate on why this is completely not true?

Stevie B

Current Member
Having spent two summers in Haiti, I'm also curious to hear. I always assumed trees were cut down in Haiti to create charcoal, the main cooking fuel in the country.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Favorite Murakami is Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World, although I haven't read that in a number of years, so who knows if i'd still enjoy it so much now.

As for GGS, hadn't previously heard about that stuff with Haiti, but I know as a whole many series academics look down upon it

Daniel del Real

Favorite Murakami is Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World, although I haven't read that in a number of years, so who knows if i'd still enjoy it so much now.

As for GGS, hadn't previously heard about that stuff with Haiti, but I know as a whole many series academics look down upon it

It is a very good novel as well, but it was written in the mid 80's so it doesn't belong to the Heisei Era.

lucasdiniz

Reader
Started reading Yukio Mishima's short stories. I have read "Death in Midsummer", "The Priest of Shiga Temple and His Love" and "Patriotism". All of them left a really strong impression on me. I remember feeling quite sad after finishing the first one and nauseated by the explicit descriptions of seppuku in the last one. Everything is so tragic, exaggerated but beautiful at the same time. I don't know how to describe it, sorry. xD

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Started reading Yukio Mishima's short stories. I have read "Death in Midsummer", "The Priest of Shiga Temple and His Love" and "Patriotism". All of them left a really strong impression on me. I remember feeling quite sad after finishing the first one and nauseated by the explicit descriptions of seppuku in the last one. Everything is so tragic, exaggerated but beautiful at the same time. I don't know how to describe it, sorry. xD
In Kimetsu no Yaiba's anime's episode 13/manga's chapter 25, a certain writer's work is dismissed as garbage because it has no "utsukushisa, hakasa, sugomi" that is, no beauty, no fragility/sense of impermanence, and no impact/shock. So it looks like, judged by those standards, Mishima succeeded.

kpjayan

Reader

'The priest of Shiga Temple' is one of my all time favourite short stories..

Liam

Administrator
Echo on the Bay by Masatsugu Ono. A new novel (in English) by a fairly unknown (at least to me) author. Check out the book's description on Amazon; it sounds intriguing! He has one more title available in English; both books are translated by Angus Turvill.

tiganeasca

Echo on the Bay by Masatsugu Ono. A new novel (in English) by a fairly unknown (at least to me) author. Check out the book's description on Amazon; it sounds intriguing! He has one more title available in English; both books are translated by Angus Turvill.

In the words of my non-existent elderly maiden aunt, "Oh dear."

I dutifully followed your advice and clicked on the link to Amazon. I read someone's summary of the book. There are so many characters and so many threads to the story that I grew muddled (as the same aunt would say). It may be good, it may be well-written, but it sounds so...busy!

Liam

Administrator
It may be good, it may be well-written, but it sounds so...busy!
And it's only 160pp long, so you may have a point, :)

I do intend to read it though; so maybe I can report back with a proper review and some final thoughts?