Japanese Literature

Ben Jackson

Here's my top 12 of Japanese novels. I see Tanizaki as the main representative of classic Japanese literature, and Murakami as the one who rebelled against it.

1. Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (1997)
  2. Jun'ichirō Tanizaki - The Makioka Sisters (1948)
  3. Haruki Murakami - 1Q84 (2010)
  4. Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood (1987)
  5. Banana Yoshimoto - Kitchen (1988)
  6. Yukio Mishima - Confessions of a Mask (1949)
  7. Kenzaburō Ōe - A Personal Matter (1964)
  8. Murasaki Shikibu - The Tale of Genji (c.1020)
  9. Natsu Miyashita - A Forest of Wool and Steel (2016)
  10. Sayaka Murata - Convenience Store Person (2016)
  11. Natsume Sōseki - Kokoro (1914)
  12. Yasunari Kawabata - Snow Country (1948)

I loved Oe and Mishima's novels. Norwegian Wood and Snow Country were good works, but from Kawabata I preferred Thousand Cranes. I tried 1Q84 and stopped after a few pages. Many critics mention the first two novels on your list as some of the finest novels from the last century. Need to get to them.

Daniel del Real

We all know contemporary Japanese literature is dominated by women. I talked in the Nobel speculation thread about two great novels written in the last fifteen years, Tokyo Ueno Station by Yu Miri and The Eight Day by Kakuta Mitsuyo.
Now, on the other hand, I'd like to talk about two other young writers that didn't reach my expectations:

Oyamada Hiroko, The Hole. This short novel is preceded by the Akutagawa Prize, right in between a realistic plot with a few triggers of the strange or weird. I think it fell short in both, not reaching high points in any of the two aspects. She's still very young at 39 and has another novel translated named The Factory, written before The Hole, but at this point I don't think I'd like to read her soon.

Kawakami Mieko, Breasts and Eggs. First of all I didn't like the title's translation. Natsu monogatori has a great dual meaning that could go either as The Story of Natsu (the main character, Natsuko) or Summer Tales. It's an extremely feminine novel, dealing with topics such as breast augmentation, menstruation and artificial insemination. It's also a novel about the body, women's body and all its sensations and experiences, and how modern women deal with it. I haven't finished the novel, but at this point, I don't get all the hype about this young writer.

Stevie B

Current Member
Oyamada Hiroko, The Hole. This short novel is preceded by the Akutagawa Prize, right in between a realistic plot with a few triggers of the strange or weird. I think it fell short in both, not reaching high points in any of the two aspects. She's still very young at 39 and has another novel translated named The Factory, written before The Hole, but at this point I don't think I'd like to read her soon.

I had this book in my shopping basket at a Twin Cities used bookstore not so long ago. Before checking out, I looked online and discovered a number of negative reviews, enough that I returned the book to the shelves.

I was surprised by the hype Convenience Store Woman received. Though I enjoyed the novella, in part because of my five years as a gaijin in Japan, I didn't really understand why the book caught on with so many readers outside of the country. Perhaps social isolation is impacting more people nowadays?

Benny Profane

Kawakami Mieko, Breasts and Eggs. First of all I didn't like the title's translation. Natsu monogatori has a great dual meaning that could go either as The Story of Natsu (the main character, Natsuko) or Summer Tales. It's an extremely feminine novel, dealing with topics such as breast augmentation, menstruation and artificial insemination. It's also a novel about the body, women's body and all its sensations and experiences, and how modern women deal with it. I haven't finished the novel, but at this point, I don't get all the hype about this young writer.
Thank you for sharing your perceptions about her, Daniel.
Really, Mieko was recently translated into Portuguese and this novel has (so far) an absurd hype by booktubers in my country.

I don't known where this strong hype came from...

Daniel del Real

I had this book in my shopping basket at a Twin Cities used bookstore not so long ago. Before checking out, I looked online and discovered a number of negative reviews, enough that I returned the book to the shelves.

I was surprised by the hype Convenience Store Woman received. Though I enjoyed the novella, in part because of my five years as a gaijin in Japan, I didn't really understand why the book caught on with so many readers outside of the country. Perhaps social isolation is impacting more people nowadays?
I haven't read Convenience Store Woman but it was written by Murata Sayaka, not Oyamada.

Stevie B

Current Member
I haven't read Convenience Store Woman but it was written by Murata Sayaka, not Oyamada.
I was going to look up the author's name, but then forgot to do so (on top of forgetting the author's name :rolleyes:). Thanks for clarifying. An interesting thing I recall reading about Murata Sayaka is that despite her literary success, she continues to work part-time at a convenience store.

tiganeasca

Daniel and I had somewhat similar reactions except, in the end, I was intrigued enough that I will try another of her books. Here was my take:

"?? Hiroko Oyamada, The Hole ⭐⭐⭐
Contrast [Amparo] Davila’s writing [The Houseguest and other stories, which I really disliked] with Oyamada’s—a writer who also toys with her readers but with a different result. Most of Oyamada’s works are very short—100 pages or less. The Hole reads smoothly and easily and much of it is straightforward narrative. But there are mysteries: what was the animal she saw? Did she really see something at all? Does the brother-in-law even exist? Or the gang of kids at the convenience store? The family (the story is told by the young wife) has just moved to the countryside because the husband has transferred to a new job. The uninvolved/self-involved husband is a minor character and the wife tries to adjust to their new remoteness, exploring the area by herself. Everything speaks to isolation, both literal and figurative. She has far too much free time, one reason she is so intent on discovering what’s nearby. A series of bizarre experiences—inexplicable mysteries that are never solved or explained—raise far more questions than she can handle, leading her to question everything from her marriage to her family to her society. Fantasy-ish, magic realism-ish. Unsettling might be the best word. Not exceptional in my humble estimation but I should also point out that it won the Akutagawa Prize, so what do I know? In any case, I am intrigued enough to invest the time in another book or two of hers. I suspect that this will grow on me as time passes and I will recognize that despite the (intentionally) flat narrative voice, there is more going on here than I realize as I sit here today."

Daniel del Real

Daniel and I had somewhat similar reactions except, in the end, I was intrigued enough that I will try another of her books. Here was my take:

"?? Hiroko Oyamada, The Hole ⭐⭐⭐
Contrast [Amparo] Davila’s writing [The Houseguest and other stories, which I really disliked] with Oyamada’s—a writer who also toys with her readers but with a different result. Most of Oyamada’s works are very short—100 pages or less. The Hole reads smoothly and easily and much of it is straightforward narrative. But there are mysteries: what was the animal she saw? Did she really see something at all? Does the brother-in-law even exist? Or the gang of kids at the convenience store? The family (the story is told by the young wife) has just moved to the countryside because the husband has transferred to a new job. The uninvolved/self-involved husband is a minor character and the wife tries to adjust to their new remoteness, exploring the area by herself. Everything speaks to isolation, both literal and figurative. She has far too much free time, one reason she is so intent on discovering what’s nearby. A series of bizarre experiences—inexplicable mysteries that are never solved or explained—raise far more questions than she can handle, leading her to question everything from her marriage to her family to her society. Fantasy-ish, magic realism-ish. Unsettling might be the best word. Not exceptional in my humble estimation but I should also point out that it won the Akutagawa Prize, so what do I know? In any case, I am intrigued enough to invest the time in another book or two of hers. I suspect that this will grow on me as time passes and I will recognize that despite the (intentionally) flat narrative voice, there is more going on here than I realize as I sit here today."
Interest take Dave, and actually, I think maybe I made it look worse than it is. Coincidentally I also gave it three stars, it's just that I wanted to put my hands on it for so long that when I actually did I had quite high expectations.
The furry animal, the brother-in-law, the children around him and playing on the lake's shore are very intriguing characters flirting with the fantastic (wouldn't use the term magical realism as I think this is almost exclusive for Latin American literature). The figure of the old man watering the garden in the middle of a storm was also quite unsettling. Even the human conflict between the two couples happening under the blizzard hinted some problematics way more deep than it appears.
The Factory is the only other work by her translated to Spanish but it's not that short at 344 pp.

Liam

Administrator
Hiroko Oyamada, The Hole
Interestingly, the Korean writer Hye-Young Pyun also has a novel called The Hole in English translation, though I can't find the original Korean title. The "hole" in that book is of a much more prosaic nature, however. I reviewed the book some time ago here.

kpjayan

Reader
Exactly. It is really popular here as well, and I wonder why. Good read, but not a book, I would recommend to others.

Stevie B

Current Member
Interestingly, the Korean writer Hye-Young Pyun also has a novel called The Hole in English translation, though I can't find the original Korean title. The "hole" in that book is of a much more prosaic nature, however. I reviewed the book some time ago here.
FYI - Hye-Young Pyun will have her novel The Owl Cries released in the U.S. in early fall. I noticed on the dust jacket that The Hole was named a Shirley Jackson Award winner. I had never heard of that award before, so I just checked online and found the following description:

"The Shirley Jackson Awards are for outstanding achievement in the literature of psychological suspense, horror and dark fantasy, and are presented at Readercon, an annual conference on imaginative literature."

1686145039964.png

wordeater

Convenience Store Woman was interesting to me, because it gives the point of view of somebody who's good at her job but still fails to meet the expectations of society. Shop assistants are often looked down upon by snobs, and in Japan an unmarried woman over thirty is considered a social disaster. She needs a well structured environment and time schedule, and finds it, but doesn't get the appreciation she deserves. Sayaka Murata has worked in a convenience store herself, so she speaks from experience.

Daniel del Real

Recently I've found a lot of contemporary writers, born in Japan, who for diverse circunstances migrated to different countries and adopted their language to write;
Mizubayashi Akira, Sekiguchi Ryoko, Shimazaki Aki in French
Tawada Yoko, Matsubara Hisako in German
Serizawa Asaki in English

Quite interesting citizens from a country always in defense of their ancient history, traditions, culture and language opt to do that in this current globalized world.

Last edited:

tiganeasca

When I run across reviews of interesting books that I think others might be interested in, I try to post links. Occasionally, I find something so compelling that I feel obligated to reproduce the review here if possible. And so the review of this book sounds so compelling and important that I do so now (I would especially note the second-to-last paragraph). From the Asian Review of Books:

“Finger Bone” by Hiroki Takahashi

Finger Bone, Hiroki Takahashi, Takami Nieda (trans) (Honford Star, June 2023)

In his 1994 speech accepting the second Nobel Prize for Literature ever awarded to a Japanese author, Kenzaburo Oe claimed that, in the history of modern Japanese literature, “the writers most sincere and aware of their mission were those ‘post-war writers’” who “tried with great pains to make up for the inhuman atrocities committed by Japanese military forces in Asian countries.” He went on to describe more contemporary writers as “a youth politically uninvolved or disaffected, content to exist within a late adolescent or post adolescent subculture.”

Whether or not Oe’s characterization is fair, there are certainly few contemporary books about the Pacific War translated into English. That’s part of the reason Hiroki Takahashi’s Finger Bone, translated by Takami Nieda, stands out as something fresh and different. Otohiko Kaga’s Marshland, translated by Alfred Novick, is slated for release within the next six months or so and takes place in part during WWII. However, Kaga was a part of Oe’s own generation, published Marshland in the 1980s, and died earlier this year. Nieda was born in 1979; Finger Bone was published in Japanese in 2015.

Finger Bone begins in 1942 in Papua New Guinea. The unnamed, 21-year-old narrator is injured early in the novel. Most of the action takes place at Japanese Field Hospital No 3, where life is lived at a remove from the front lines. When a patient dies, medics remove a titular finger bone from the corpse and cremate it so they can return part of the soldier’s remains to his family. (The description is fairly graphic. As with many war novels, Finger Bone may not be an ideal choice for squeamish readers.) Instead of chronicling military campaigns, the unnamed narrator describes his interactions with other injured soldiers recovering (or not) at the field hospital.

In part, Finger Bone is a story about how little Japanese soldiers understood about the bigger picture during the Pacific War. Misinformation is rampant. An officer “blusters” about the Japanese army’s military successes, but, the narrator observes to himself, “Who knew if any of it was true”. In fact, “who knew if it was true” becomes a kind of refrain and one of the novel’s major motifs.

Throughout, the narrator and the other soldiers blithely assume the Japanese Imperial Army is winning. History will immortalize the man who kills General Douglas MacArthur. The native Kanak people will need to learn Japanese to accommodate the Japanese tourists who will visit the island at war’s end. There are air raids over the American coastal state of Oregon. The rest of the US mainland has been razed by firebombs.

The narrator never questions his assumptions in the face of his reality: all around him first his comrades and then his closest friends are slowly dying from lack of basic medicine and supplies. “Death,” he notes, has “become commonplace”.

The novel also asks the question, “What is war?” There are a few notable battle scenes, but most of the action is quiet suffering and oppressive waiting. The narrator describes a scene as unarmed, starving soldiers march down a dusty and empty road and reflects, “This is war… This too is war.” The words, he tells the reader, do not sink in.

Laudably, Takami Nieda’s translation gives no special quarter for Anglo-American readers. It’s always a jarring (and probably healthy) experience to read an account of familiar-looking soldiers as the Other. The enemy is a “young, pale-faced soldier” with blue eyes who “squak{s} something in English". She describes a Kanak living in New Guinea as "a black man", presumably translating the Japanese literally and ignoring English racializations. The overall effect is a book that presents a different point of view not just about the Pacific War, but about the way the world is organized--which is, presumably, a part of the reason people read translated literature in the first place.

Maybe Takahashi’s book doesn’t, as Oe once wished, “tr[y] with great pains to make up for the inhuman atrocities committed by Japanese military forces in Asian countries.” But it does address the futility of war, especially under governments that don’t give all the facts to their soldiers. Perhaps that was a timely reminder of what the Pacific War might have looked like to the men who fought in it. The novel debuted in Japan in 2015, while Japan’s politicians once again debated Article 9 of the Japanese Constitution, which “forever renounces war as a sovereign right of the nation”. Takahashi’s answer to the question “What is war?” seems to be, “Something that never makes sense.”

Alison Fincher (@FincherAlison) is a student of Japanese and an independent researcher of contemporary Japanese fiction. Read Japanese Literature is her podcast about Japanese literature and some of its best works.

Last edited: