Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

dc007777

Dalkey Archive Press is alive and well (the title, so far as I know comes from a story by Flann O'Brien) and yes, they are, in fact, owned by Deep Vellum. Indeed, this is a good opportunity to take a look at their site since they're running (or will be running) a major sale. They publish a wide variety of things, including a fair amount of foreign lit translated into English, literary criticism, and, for lack of a better descriptor, "avant-garde" works.
Yes! If you can support their work, please do! I know they've had to delay a lot of publications (especially of some mammoth books) because of cost issues/ general lack of funds.

Marba

Reader
I just watched an interview from last year with Fosse where he goes through the Fosse archive at the Norwegian National Library. I hope he has learnt to handle success and awards a bit better nowadays ?

"The first text I can recognize is the one called "Him". I won a short story competition with it in "Studvest"*. At that time I lived in a student village. That newspaper was distributed to all the students. I was so embarrassed, so embarrassed! I didn't go out for several days."

*the student newspaper for the universities and colleges in the Norwegian city of Bergen.

Benny Profane

I just watched an interview from last year with Fosse where he goes through the Fosse archive at the Norwegian National Library. I hope he has learnt to handle success and awards a bit better nowadays ?

"The first text I can recognize is the one called "Him". I won a short story competition with it in "Studvest"*. At that time I lived in a student village. That newspaper was distributed to all the students. I was so embarrassed, so embarrassed! I didn't go out for several days."

*the student newspaper for the universities and colleges in the Norwegian city of Bergen.

Marba, might I ask you for a favour?
If you may do a summary for this interview, I'd thank you so much! ;)

PS: No rushes for that! ;)

Last edited:

Leseratte

Fosse interviewed by Norwegian TV:

I was surprised, but I know I've been in the speculations for about 10 years so I was a bit ready for it. It is an acknowledgement of the more than 50 works I have published for 40 years. I don't compete with my earlier writings, I am just happy to write and that people enjoy my writings. It is a good timing to receive the award now when I have published all of the Septology. On receiving a greater audience now I am more happy to write and be published and do not care that much about that a lot more people will read me now. I do not think the Nobel will affect my writing process as I have my customs since long time.
"I know I've been in the speculations for about 10 years". He has been following our thread!?

Bartleby

My personal collection. Read only Trilogy (which I loved) from these (and Plays 6 on Kindle — great also). And although I own this Brazilian edition of Melancholy I'm reading the (kindle) Fitzcarraldo one, for I've become accustomed to the way he reads in English and the BR-PT seems to have used the German translation as a basis, while consulting the original.
20231005_091211-01.jpg

Leseratte

So unfortunate the forum didn't exist in 2000, but if WOLFIE had started in 2000, we could have gotten about half of the Nobel Laureates awarded in this century, as well as the shottlisted finalist.
Hmm! You mean that seriously. I don´t think we have all that power, Ben!

Stevie B

Current Member
My personal collection. Read only Trilogy (which I loved) from these (and Plays 6 on Kindle — great also). And although I own this Brazilian edition of Melancholy I'm reading the (kindle) Fitzcarraldo one, for I've become accustomed to the way he reads in English and the BR-PT seems to have used the German translation as a basis, while consulting the original.
View attachment 2268
Boathouse is quite rare. I didn't love the book after reading it, so I added my copy to a box of books I brought to a used bookstore for trade credit. Wish I still had it as I'm guessing it would fetch a fair price (even before today's announcement). I have about 30 books on my want list and I'm trying to be patient in acquiring them (without digging too deeply into my bank account).

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
On the other hand, here it goes another prize to Europe from Europe. This prize is far from being really "universal".
It feels wrong for us to be criticizing the choice of the 18 members of the Swedish Academy, when, just last week, about 18 of us voted for the Wolfie and ended up with the same result.
Worse, Mukasonga, the one non-European female candidate didn't get a single first place vote from us WWLFers.
I'm particularly ashamed that I didn't vote for Mukasonga for first place despite her being my favorite. TL DR: "la critique est aisée, et l'art est difficile." as Philippe Destouches wrote.

Z--

Some thoughts, now that I have a moment of rest from work. Foremost, it's been a real pleasure engaging with you WLF folks in the 2023 thread. It's my first time engaging -- and hopefully -- not the last.
  • Barring the disappointment of predictability, Fosse is a spectacular choice. I stand by him being my far and away my favorite winner of the 2020s. Perhaps even my favorite of the past two decades.
  • The trend continues! Man to Woman back to Man trend. Will next year be a woman? If not, I have a feeling some people here will be unhappy.
  • Disappointed mostly for Asia. It's been 10 years since East Asia has won, 30 years since the Middle East, over 100 years since India...never before anyone from Southeast Asia either...
  • Transparently, it's also strange how few Spanish winners have been selected lately as well. Seems to go on hot-cold streaks, where outside MVL, you'll get two in close proximity, followed by long lulls.

hayden

fosse-3_2-992x656.jpg

Citation sucks, but the portrait is fantastic.

• Transparently, it's also strange how few Spanish winners have been selected lately as well. Seems to go on hot-cold streaks, where outside MVL, you'll get two in close proximity, followed by long lulls.

Now Marias is dead, I think it's broadly agreed there's not really a Spanish-language novelist who's really in the running. However... that is for another year, on another thread!

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Since ChatGPT's knowledge is only up to September 2021, I let it know the news:

That's wonderful news! Congratulations to Jon Fosse for receiving the Nobel Prize in Literature. It's a well-deserved recognition of his remarkable contributions to the world of literature. His work has resonated with readers around the world, and this honor highlights the significance of his literary achievements. Thank you for sharing this update, and I hope it brings even more attention to his works and the importance of literature.
Then I realised it won't know who won in 2021 or 2022 either, so let it know.

Thank you for providing the information on the Nobel Prize in Literature winners for 2021 and 2022. Annie Ernaux and Abdulrazak Gurnah are both accomplished authors who have made significant contributions to literature. The Nobel Prize in Literature recognizes outstanding writers from around the world, and each laureate brings their unique voice and perspective to the literary community. Congratulations to Annie Ernaux and Abdulrazak Gurnah for receiving this prestigious honor, and their works continue to enrich the world of literature.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Now Marias is dead, I think it's broadly agreed there's not really a Spanish-language novelist who's really in the running. However... that is for another year, on another thread!
I asked ChatGPT for a list of ten Spanish writers:

1. Javier Marías: An influential novelist and essayist known for his complex narratives and exploration of themes like memory, identity, and language.
  2. Enrique Vila-Matas: Known for his innovative and metafictional works that often blur the line between fiction and reality.
  3. Antonio Muñoz Molina: A celebrated author whose novels often delve into history, memory, and the human experience.
  4. Javier Cercas: Renowned for his literary fiction and exploration of historical and political events, especially related to the Spanish Civil War.
  5. Juan Marsé: An accomplished novelist known for his vivid portrayals of urban life in Barcelona and exploration of social issues.
  6. Eduardo Mendoza: Noted for his satirical and humorous novels that often reflect on Spanish society.
  7. Arturo Pérez-Reverte: An internationally bestselling author known for his adventure and historical novels.
  8. Rosa Montero: An acclaimed novelist who explores human relationships and introspective storytelling.
  9. Manuel Vilas: Known for his autobiographical novels and poetry that often reflect on contemporary life and culture.
  10. Sara Mesa: A contemporary writer whose works have gained critical acclaim for their exploration of identity and societal issues.

I asked ChatGPT for a list of ten Spanish writers:
I can name Spanish writers too, no need for chat GPT. I'm not sure what that proves. Through observing the discussions we've had this year, I think it's completely fair to say that there's not a Spanish-language novelist who's really in the running.