Nobel Prize in Literature 2023

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, @tiganeasca for doing this. I got sidetracked at work today and totally missed/forgot about the announcement and just seen it now.

I've not read Fosse, but do have a couple by him. My only real observation at the moment is future speculation should just look to see who Fitzcarraldo Editions in the UK are publishing. That's now Fosse, Ernaux, Tokarczuk, Alexievich and, I suppose, Jelinek (essays published since her win).

Ben Jackson

Thanks, @tiganeasca for doing this. I got sidetracked at work today and totally missed/forgot about the announcement and just seen it now.

I've not read Fosse, but do have a couple by him. My only real observation at the moment is future speculation should just look to see who Fitzcarraldo Editions in the UK are publishing. That's now Fosse, Ernaux, Tokarczuk, Alexievich and, I suppose, Jelinek (essays published since her win).

Welcome back, Stewart. For the first time you missed the chance of punctually closing the speculation thread for this year.

Nice observation, I will try and look at the authors published in Fitzcarraldo. It seems there might be the 21st Century Farrar Strauss and Giroux that published: Gordimer, Soyinka, Solzhenistyn, Brodsky, Canetti, Belllow, Singer, Milosz and others before winning the Prize.

Phil D

Fitzcarraldo's ability to publish writers just before they win the prize, then presumably cash in afterwards, is remarkable. If they were share market investors they'd surely have to be investigated for insider trading.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome back, Stewart. For the first time you missed the chance of punctually closing the speculation thread for this year.
First time in fifteen years. Gutted! So happy the closing and reopening was continued in my absence.

It was only after I got off a call and checked my phone and the the missus had text me a screenshot of the news asking if I was happy with it. Genuine feeling of something akin to grief at having missed it.

redhead

Blahblahblah
As someone who's been a huge fan of his work since 2015, when he was wasn't at all well known in the English speaking world, I'm quite happy to have seen his profile rise, first with muted mumblings about the Nobel, then the publication of Septology, and finally the Nobel. Nice to see the English speaking literati catch on to what I already knew ;)

bacon

The first great choice of the 2020s.

Septology is personally my favorite work of the 21st century (so far). Mesmerizing style -- genuinely felt like I was in a trance reading it. It greatly eclipses his other works, which range from good to very good.

How devastating his musings are on loss.
I have to agree, Septology is amazing. Fosse to me seemed like the perfect choice for this year's prize.

nagisa

Spiky member
As someone who's been a huge fan of his work since 2015, when he was wasn't at all well known in the English speaking world, I'm quite happy to have seen his profile rise, first with muted mumblings about the Nobel, then the publication of Septology, and finally the Nobel. Nice to see the English speaking literati catch on to what I already knew ;)
1696510488783.png

Fitzcarraldo's ability to publish writers just before they win the prize, then presumably cash in afterwards, is remarkable. If they were share market investors they'd surely have to be investigated for insider trading.
In the US, it's good ole Dalkey Archive that published a lot of his earlier works, which is how I first discovered him back in the day. However, I'm not really sure what their status is these days. They may be an imprint of Deep Vellum now? I know they just reissued the Trilogy this summer as a "Dalkey Archive Essential," so they must still have at least some of the rights. Regardless, I hope it gives them a boost. My copies of the volumes of the Septology are from Transit Books, so I wonder if they will publish most of what's to come or if someone bigger will swoop in.

faulkner

Reader
In the US, it's good ole Dalkey Archive that published a lot of his earlier works, which is how I first discovered him back in the day. However, I'm not really sure what their status is these days. They may be an imprint of Deep Vellum now? I know they just reissued the Trilogy this summer as a "Dalkey Archive Essential," so they must still have at least some of the rights. Regardless, I hope it gives them a boost. My copies of the volumes of the Septology are from Transit Books, so I wonder if they will publish most of what's to come or if someone bigger will swoop in.
Transit is set to publish his follow up to Septology in November so at least in the short term it seems like they have him

tiganeasca

Dalkey Archive Press is alive and well (the name, so far as I know, comes from a story by Flann O'Brien) and yes, they are, in fact, owned by Deep Vellum. Indeed, this is a good opportunity to take a look at their site since they're running (or will be running) a major sale. They publish a wide variety of things, including a fair amount of foreign lit translated into English, literary criticism, and, for lack of a better descriptor, "avant-garde" works.

Last edited: