Run for covers !

Liam

Administrator
I ordered the Gatsby (since I don't happen to own a copy, shockingly!), so I'll let you know the pros and cons (if any) when my book arrives later this week, :)

Liam

Administrator
I'm sad to report that the Gatsby book finally arrived today, and I think I will be returning it. The paper inside is of really low quality and the cover itself (which I had hoped would be matte; I'd also hoped that the title would be either "raised" or on the contrary, pressed) is glossy and flat, and actually pretty cheap-looking. The design is really nice, and would have been/looked amazing if the execution were a little different. Anyways, just my two cents. I really like the Penguin Classics edition which Stevie linked to above though! :)

tiganeasca

That's too bad. Cheap editions are just depressing all around. Spend a little more, charge a little more...it's not rocket science.

My own copy is really old and beat up (and not very attractive, really)

Untitled.jpg

and, even worse, it has a previous owner's name scrawled inside, "HeoH Figy...." something-or-other. It doesn't even make sense!

Untitled.jpg

Don't you just hate those people who have to put their names in ink inside everything! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Dave, I am now obsessed with solving the mystery of that signature! ? Seriously, it looks like something out of the Voynich manuscript!

tiganeasca

Oops. Just realized that when I cropped the name, I cropped a bit too much. My sincere apologies.

I have now replaced it with a more, uh, complete image. :rolleyes: There is no doubt that the individual's penmanship could be clearer! (Voynich manuscript is a very apt comparison, I think.)

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Wait a cotton-picking minute! I think it's a weird and unusual rendering of the author's name, Dave. FScott Fitzgerald. Not sure if it's his signature though, check out this bit of info.

Liam

Administrator
Ah haha, sorry, not having an easy day here, lots of shit to do, and my sister-in-law is about to land from Fort Lauderdale (visiting for the weekend) so I'm a bit swamped ? I do, however, feel proud of myself for solving the mystery of the signature without having ANY idea as to the real signer of that name, LOL.

Stevie B

Current Member
I'm sad to report that the Gatsby book finally arrived today, and I think I will be returning it. The paper inside is of really low quality and the cover itself (which I had hoped would be matte; I'd also hoped that the title would be either "raised" or on the contrary, pressed) is glossy and flat, and actually pretty cheap-looking. The design is really nice, and would have been/looked amazing if the execution were a little different. Anyways, just my two cents. I really like the Penguin Classics edition which Stevie linked to above though! :)
I’m surprised the cover is so disappointing. It certainly looked like the lettering and some of the artwork would be raised. I can attest to the quality of the Penguin Classic editions. Beautiful dust jackets, well bound, nice paper. Slightly smaller than your average-sized book. I got my like new copy of The Great Gatsby for about $15 a couple of years ago.

Stevie B

Current Member
That's too bad. Cheap editions are just depressing all around. Spend a little more, charge a little more...it's not rocket science.

My own copy is really old and beat up (and not very attractive, really)

View attachment 1114

and, even worse, it has a previous owner's name scrawled inside, "HeoH Figy...." something-or-other. It doesn't even make sense!

View attachment 1115

Don't you just hate those people who have to put their names in ink inside everything! :ROFLMAO:
I once bought a signed 2nd printing of Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis for only $30.00. I thought it was a steal. I later took the book to a bookstore in St. Paul to inquire about its value, and the owner immediately identified the signature as a fake. He actually had a signed Sinclair Lewis book on hand, so we were able to compare signatures. “For what it’s worth,” he told me, “the quill and ink fake signature is probably more than fifty years old.” So I have a somewhat legitimate fake signature. ?

Leseratte

They probably have a good cover designer and then they spoil it by using cheap material.

Speaking of nice cover design…

This 1935 edition of Amiel’s Private Journal, edited by Van Wyck Brooks, was a recent purchase. I splurged hoping the condition was as described, and it was! It’s in a smaller format, too, about 2/3 the size of a regular hardcover. But 675 pages!

8C1D6B48-8B33-4A9A-AE4B-B34295A3B789.jpeg

C95A37AA-D7F3-4B60-8576-8FDCEF948B7F.jpeg

Stevie B

Current Member
Speaking of nice cover design…

This 1935 edition of Amiel’s Private Journal, edited by Van Wyck Brooks, was a recent purchase. I splurged hoping the condition was as described, and it was! It’s in a smaller format, too, about 2/3 the size of a regular hardcover. But 675 pages!
Very progressive of Macmillan to acknowledge the translators in a prominent way on the dust jacket.