Thread: Typing Russian or any other language

Default Typing Russian or any other language

I've just found some online free Russian Keyboard software, you type in Russian, save as pdf, and then I guess you can cut/paste or whatever suits your needs into other docs or onto a forum like this, but what are the techy options for doing this type of thing?

How about Ancient Greek, for example, is there a specific programme to use with the Qwerty keyboard, or is a free or otherwise stand-alone system generally used by folks. I'd guess that you professional translators use bespoke-technology; but in that case what's the source of the short examples I see on here of say a few Russian words-- a programme within Windows/word? or a free converter programme like the one I've just been playing about on?
    "Man cannot do without beauty, and this is what our era pretends to want to disregard"
    Myth of Sysyphus ~ Albert Camus

Default Re: Typing Russian or any other language ---

If you use Firefox as your internet browser I recommend this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/abctajpu/ It provides a simple possibility to add quite a lot of accented letters and other international characters into forum posts or other input boxes on websites.

I shall have a good look at this add-ons thing that Aldawen mentions, as I too need accents all the time for names and words from languages such as Polish, Estonian, French, and other languages with accents (aka diacritical marks) over, under, and through letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldawen View Post
    If you use Firefox as your internet browser I recommend this addon: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/abctajpu/ It provides a simple possibility to add quite a lot of accented letters and other international characters into forum posts or other input boxes on websites.
    yes ... I do use Firefox, so will look at that addon Aldawen, many thanks.
    "Man cannot do without beauty, and this is what our era pretends to want to disregard"

Default Re: Typing Russian or any other language

You can use Google Translate. Just select Russian from the list of languages to translate from, and click on the keyboard icon. You'll get a little Russian keyboard to type in your Russian text.
    Reading made Don Quixote a gentleman. Believing what he read made him mad. - George Bernard Shaw

I don't use Firefox, so there's the rub for me. Most ways of obtaining accents for letters are long-winded. If I want to write a posting here about several writers from lands with diacritical marks, it would be a laborious process to have to do cut & paste operations for each accented letter of each name. That's why, although I'm rather a pedant in these matters, I don't bother with the cedilla, the slashed Polish ell, the Romanian wiggle under the ess, and so on, because my keyboard doesn't do them, and I simply can't be bothered. One day I'll try to construct a keyboard macro, if my system will allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I don't use Firefox, so there's the rub for me. Most ways of obtaining accents for letters are long-winded. If I want to write a posting here about several writers from lands with diacritical marks, it would be a laborious process to have to do cut & paste operations for each accented letter of each name. That's why, although I'm rather a pedant in these matters, I don't bother with the cedilla, the slashed Polish ell, the Romanian wiggle under the ess, and so on, because my keyboard doesn't do them, and I simply can't be bothered. One day I'll try to construct a keyboard macro, if my system will allow it.

@Galatea92 -- thanks!

Eric, if you upload Firefox, you can still switch back to your preferred search engine, so it shouldn't be a problem, as far as I'm aware?

I'll try it, Hamlet.

Firefox seems to be fairly popular, I didn't change for a long time, in fact I have another laptop, older, where I still use the original browser...