Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 801

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

  1. #741

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    Personally, I think that they have already chosen. They set a firm date and are ready to announce their man or woman. I think that if they were still in a hot debate (even between a shortlist of finalists) the likely would not have set a firm date and time. Then again, supposedly the year Jelinek won they were debating to the bitter end....and then flipped a coin =)
    Yes, I'm sure that they made the decision but we don't know if it happened one, two or three weeks ago. :P The fact that they announced this Monday that they will reveal the winner on Thursday doesn't mean that they could not reveal him one week ago (but probably they were waiting until this week because of the announcement of all other Nobel Prizes).

    And what do we know about deliberations over Jelinek because it's quite interesting and I haven't heard anything. Or at least almost anything. I've heard about Knut Anhlund saying in 2005 (one year after she won) that he "characterized Jelinek's work as chaotic and pornographic" (Wikipedia) and that "he would leave the Academy in protest" against this decision but this probably doesn't mean anything. It is well known (at least in the Internet) that Anhlund did not participate in the regular work of the Academy for at least few years before the Academy chose Jelinek.
    Last edited by Davus; 09-Oct-2012 at 19:28.

  2. #742
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    literary abyss, LA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Well, we'll see in two days, won't we? :P I still think that Munro is already too old to win. If they wanted to reward her they would already do it. Sure, Lessing was even older when she won but this is extremely rare exception.
    But I may be wrong, obviously. Nothing is certain when Nobel Prize in Literature is taken into consideration. :P
    I sincerely hope that the committee really does not subscribe to the "the ship has already, somewhat, sailed"/"they are, perhaps, a bit too old" approach but you are right in that it does seem that once you get past a certain age and you have not won the odds are against you. But then again, look at Transtromer, he won last year when he was 80. Munro is the same age as Transtromer. And there is Llosa who had to wait until he turned 75, as did Pinter, and Lessing who was well into her 80s.

    Then again, Munro may not have won (and will never win) because the committee feels the same way about Munro as does Orthofer over at the Literary Saloon:

    "solid [body] of work, under-represented region, widespread appeal [but] maybe just short of Nobel stature ". I totally disagree that Munro's body of work is "short of Nobel stature" but that is my opinion which, in the grand scheme of things, does not amount to much.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 09-Oct-2012 at 19:31.

  3. #743
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    I think they will award Ismail Kadare.
    But why not Adonis?
    And to make a beautiful three names list: Assia Djebar

  4. #744

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    I sincerely hope that the committee really does not subscribe to the "the ship has already, somewhat, sailed"/"they are, perhaps, a bit too old" approach but you are right in that it does seem that once you get past a certain age and you have not won the odds are against you. But then again, look at Transtromer, he won last year when he was 80. Munro is the same age as Transtromer. And there is Llosa who had to wait until he turned 75, as did Pinter, and Lessing who was well into her 80s.
    Munro is 81. :P And this is more than all Nobel laureates were except Lessing, Mommsen and Jaroslav Seifert.

    Changing the subject: can anyone tell me why Gabriel Garcia Marquez has not yet won Cervantes Award? I mean - he won Nobel so why not Cervantes? :P

  5. #745

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    I think they will award Ismail Kadare.
    But why not Adonis?
    And to make a beautiful three names list: Assia Djebar
    Adonis is possible, considering the political situation in Syria. He would be my 5th bet (after my previous three names and Ngugi).

  6. #746
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    literary abyss, LA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    I think they will award Ismail Kadare.
    But why not Adonis?
    And to make a beautiful three names list: Assia Djebar
    Kadare is deserving although he won the Man Booker International Prize, the consolation prize for Nobel snubs (the Golden Globe in lieu of the Oscar), which would also put two of my favorites, Munro and Achebe, out of the running indefinitely, as well as Roth.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 09-Oct-2012 at 19:47.

  7. #747
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    254

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cleanthess View Post
    And, just in time for the leak suspicions, Peter Nadas is up to 2.5 to 1 odds this morning...
    This is certainly interesting, and I think he'd be a deserving winner. BUT if we're buying in to betting conspiracies and leaks surely we have to assume the money men are savvy enough to shop around for the best price available. Unibet don't even list Nadas among the possibles but have Murakami at 4 and Mo Yan at 4.5. After that it jumps to 15/1 so I'd imagine they'd quote a price of at least that much.
    So is he a smokescreen or a leak?

    My own choices would be Amos Oz, Ngugi and Nooteboom, if I have to pick three. Outside of these, I'm hoping the Nobel folk spring a real surprise.

  8. #748
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,320

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Munro is 81. :P And this is more than all Nobel laureates were except Lessing, Mommsen and Jaroslav Seifert.

    Changing the subject: can anyone tell me why Gabriel Garcia Marquez has not yet won Cervantes Award? I mean - he won Nobel so why not Cervantes? :P
    GGM was awarded with the Nobel at a very young age, at a time when not even the people who awards the Cervantes prize considered him strong enough to get the Cervantes. After that, as the Nobel is the biggest prize, it is an unwritten law, you shouldn't give a lesser prize to someone with the Nobel on his back. If you take a look of Nobel Prize winner that also have Cervantes/Goethe/Camoes, most of the times were awarded first with the regional language prizes than the Nobel.

  9. #749
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    literary abyss, LA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by anchomal View Post
    My own choices would be Amos Oz, Ngugi and Nooteboom, if I have to pick three. Outside of these, I'm hoping the Nobel folk spring a real surprise.
    Oz is certainly deserving of the Nobel (I have read a lot of his books) but I feel that he has not been chosen because of his Israeli identity and the political situation in the region where he hails from. Although he is left of the center, and has many Arab friends, he is still a proud Israeli and a zionist at heart (albeit left leaning) and this may sit somewhat uneasy with the committee. Although he is for a two-state solution, opposes the construction of settlements, has openly criticized the Israeli government, he did not oppose the construction of the West Bank barrier, supported the 2006 war with Lebanon, supported Israel's offensive into Gaza, etc. Hey, agree with his views or not, my point is that his selection would, perhaps, be a bit too sensitive. Although he has Arab friends, there are still many dangerous people who view him as an enemy solely because he is an Israeli and the committee may be holding off because they are afraid of the potential powder keg. Rushdie is prime example of the committee's "reluctance" (cowardice) as was Karel Capek, who got hosed because the Nobel committee was afraid it would offend Herr Hitler if it awarded the Nobel to Capek. Instead, it gave it to Buck.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 09-Oct-2012 at 20:45.

  10. #750

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    GGM was awarded with the Nobel at a very young age, at a time when not even the people who awards the Cervantes prize considered him strong enough to get the Cervantes. After that, as the Nobel is the biggest prize, it is an unwritten law, you shouldn't give a lesser prize to someone with the Nobel on his back. If you take a look of Nobel Prize winner that also have Cervantes/Goethe/Camoes, most of the times were awarded first with the regional language prizes than the Nobel.
    Camilo Jose Cela won Nobel in 1989 and Cervantes in 1995 so there was an exception. :P

  11. #751
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    83

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by kpjayan View Post
    My final 3 : Kundera , Nguigi, Eco
    Eco is always if we speculate about italian writers, and since Tabucchi's death, the other one is Magris. But, what about Bevilacqua? no one know him? his poetry is beautiful (especially Immagine e somiglianza andPoesie d'amore)

  12. #752
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    literary abyss, LA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Sevastefo View Post
    Eco is always if we speculate about italian writers, and since Tabucchi's death, the other one is Magris. But, what about Bevilacqua? no one know him? his poetry is beautiful (especially Immagine e somiglianza andPoesie d'amore)
    Eco is a brilliant individual, a towering intellectual, but I am not sure if he will ever win the Nobel. His novels are probably best categorized as historical fiction/mysteries (He is best known for The Name of the Rose and Foucalt's Pendulum, both entertaining reads don't get me wrong) and I am not sure how Nobel worthy the committee deems them. Eco has written a ton of other non-fiction historical/philosophical works and essays which do butress his candidacy but I am not sold on the committee giving it to him.

    If we are talking about a European novelist, who is certainly deserving, what about Juan Goytisolo? He may, however, suffer from the same predicament as Munro, in that he is too old. The ship may have sailed on him as he is 81 and has not received it.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 09-Oct-2012 at 21:40.

  13. #753
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,320

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Camilo Jose Cela won Nobel in 1989 and Cervantes in 1995 so there was an exception. :P
    And Thomas Mann won the Goethe 20 years after the Nobel that's why I said MOST

  14. #754
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    South Orange, NJ
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Munro is 81. :P And this is more than all Nobel laureates were except Lessing, Mommsen and Jaroslav Seifert.
    But Munro is still active, still churning out exceptional work, despite threatening to retire a few times in the last decade.

  15. #755

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Yep you have found the exact image.

  16. #756
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    literary abyss, LA
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Mookse View Post
    But Munro is still active, still churning out exceptional work, despite threatening to retire a few times in the last decade.
    Munro has a LOT of fans/admirers including: Cynthia Ozick, Shirley Hazzard, AS Byatt, Margaret Atwood, Jonathan Franzen, Colm Toibin, Eugenides. That's not a shabby list of admirers. Toibin and Eugenides, apparently, have been lobbying for her. Not sure how much, if any, influence they will have on the decision of the academy but it's pretty awesome nonetheless.
    Last edited by Hrabal78; 10-Oct-2012 at 01:02.

  17. #757

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    OK guys, a lot of names have been mentioned here for a couple of months, and the day is this week so, final picks for everyone?
    Let's choose three

    I'll go with Ngugi, Oz & Lobo Antunes
    Bei Dao, Ngugi Wa Thiong'o, Assia Djebar

  18. #758

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    And Thomas Mann won the Goethe 20 years after the Nobel that's why I said MOST
    Yes, I understand. But this amazes me that Garcia Marquez isn't "an exception".

  19. #759
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Guadalajara
    Posts
    5,320

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Yes, I understand. But this amazes me that Garcia Marquez isn't "an exception".
    It amazes me more that Juan Goytisolo hasn't yet won the Cervantes. Hope this years is finally his year, as it is very obvious a Spaniard will win this year. They have an unwritten rule that awards the prize alternating each year a Spaniard and a Latin American writer.

  20. #760

    Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2012 Speculation

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    It amazes me more that Juan Goytisolo hasn't yet won the Cervantes. Hope this years is finally his year, as it is very obvious a Spaniard will win this year. They have an unwritten rule that awards the prize alternating each year a Spaniard and a Latin American writer.
    The English Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_de_Cervantes_Prize) informs that Garcia Marquez "declined to be considered for the award." But it doesn't give any source ot this information.

Similar Threads

  1. Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 Speculation
    By Daniel del Real in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 729
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2011, 20:37
  2. Nobel Prize in Literature 2010 Speculation
    By Daniel del Real in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 491
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2010, 13:02
  3. Nobel Prize in Literature 2009 Speculation
    By Stewart in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 465
    Last Post: 08-Oct-2009, 13:03
  4. Nobel Prize in Literature 2008 Speculation
    By Stewart in forum Nobel Prize in Literature
    Replies: 201
    Last Post: 09-Oct-2008, 22:59

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •