Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WLF Reading List 2017

Default Re: WLF Reading List 2017

Impressive, Isa! How about Sienkiewicz 's With Fire and Sword? I've bought it recently but still haven't gotten in the mood to reading it...

Default Re: WLF Reading List 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Bartleby View Post
    Impressive, Isa! How about Sienkiewicz 's With Fire and Sword? I've bought it recently but still haven't gotten in the mood to reading it...
    The list isn’t really that impressive. A lot of the works are very short novellas and plays. I count them as separate works if they were originally published together.

Sienkiewicz was really long and extremely boring to me at times. It basically read like how a lot of modern high fantasy books these days read, lots of macho fighting talk, long pointless stories meant to prove masculinity, fairly weak romance, lots of drinking and eating scenes, prose that felt dated and cheesy at times (I’ve found this with Sigrid Undset as well). If you’re into that style of writing you’ll probably like it but to me it was just dull and I groaned every time I checked how many pages left I had. The romance between the main character and the woman in the novel was also ridiculous to me considering they basically saw each other in person three times ever.

I have the rest of the trilogy too, but I’ll likely put off reading it until I’ve finished nearly everything else I own, because I know it’ll be a huge time sinkhole.