Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: National Book Critics Circle Award 2017

Default Re: National Book Critics Circle Award 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    To your comment about originality
    Oh, I hope it was clear that I was responding to Cunningham's assertions about what constitutes "originality," not anything you've said in your post. I would cautiously agree with you about the general nature of the Pulitzer Prize being more on the "popular" than the highbrow side, although there will, of course, be exceptions.

I haven't read The Underground Railroad or anything else by Whitehead, but he was teaching at Hunter College during the years I was an undergraduate student there, and I remember him as being very helpful and sweet to his students. Funny, having met the man personally, I have yet to read a single line by him, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    This statement, along with some others you've made recently, makes it seem that reading often makes you really angry. Perhaps you should take up a new hobby like stamp collecting.
    Quite seriously, when I was in elementary school I did collect stamps. Large museums used to sell bags of assorted collect stamps en mass and you could get a bag for a few dollars. I think the collection is in a binder somewhere in my house. This hobby didn't last past the age of about 10 though.

This woman won the Nobel Prize in Literature, the most prestigious literary prize in existence. Comparing her recent works like Home or God Help the Child to her pre-Nobel works reveals a staggering drop in quality of writing. I couldn't really care less if people take it as "anger" that I'm faulting her for lazy writing. For people this heavily awarded I like to hold them accountable to a certain degree of quality. Her writing at this point is bad enough (to me) that she may as well just retire.

Sadly, it seems like for most American literary critics the simple fact that it was written by Morrison means it deserves praise. Most reviews of her later work read like they're praising a work just for being written by her as opposed to praising it for what she's actually written. She's a publisher's darling and few if any are willing to write negative articles about her. It's how I've seen most American literary reviewers behaving. If a work by an American author falls flat of expectations they'll still give it a "meh" review and praise large portions of it. Meanwhile, most of these same critics have no problem trashing international, non-English authors because there's less of a chance of angering news-paper subscribers.

God Help the Child was full of a blatant lack of common sense and made it seem like Morrison was out of touch with the real world. The entire premise behind her main character and that character's life was absurdly unrealistic. It was full of vaguely constructed side-details and minor characters that made it seem like she was desperately trying to appeal to a younger audience. Home was better, (maybe a 2.5/5) but still wasn't fully realized. About 2/3s through the novel it just meandered to a quick ending without really explaining anything.

Nothing I've said is any harsher than what most actual literary critics say when they dislike books. I've read plenty of absolutely scathing reviews from professionals. Anyways, we're so far off topic at this point. If people want to further discuss the Pulitzer a Pulitzer thread should be made.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    Quite seriously, when I was in elementary school I did collect stamps. Large museums used to sell bags of assorted collect stamps en mass and you could get a bag for a few dollars. I think the collection is in a binder somewhere in my house.
    I've got a new stamp for your collection