Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017 Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by nagisa View Post
    I'm pretty sure Au tomber de la nuit is the third volume of the trilogy... It's the translation of Kveldsvævd, which is the third one, right ?
    My bad, I know like 2 words of French, one of which is nuit, and in English the title of the third book in English is only one word so I thought it was a translation of his Morning and Evening.

Also, has Le Clezio ever mentioned which Korean writers he likes?

And Kakutani will hopefully never even be nominated, but I wonder about a literary critic/theorist winner. Derrida probably would have stood a decent chance of winning had he not suddenly died.
    Last edited by redheadshadz; 29-Jul-2017 at 01:57.

Also guys chill out, let's not get a thread locked again

Isahoinp, do you ever read stuff people recommend to you ? Or do you just dismiss it reflexively and trash it without even bothering ?

Genuinely curious here.

Anyway, I'd like to get back to discussing authors we like and their prospects for the Nobel.

Civilly.

@readheadshadz : yes, I wasn't sure myself for a time, but I checked and Morning and evening must be Matin et soir Kveldsvaevd is "Weariness", so I'm not sure why they didn't go with "Fatigue" or some such...

I haven't read any Le Clézio in a while after polishing off a few of his major works and collections of short stories (might sometimes be better than his novels, actually). I know he admires pre-Colombian mythology and some Maghrebi and African authors — I think he mentions some in his Nobel lecture I read once upon a time ago. I didn't know he had a taste for Korean literature ; might get me started...

Nice to see you again this year.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post
    My bad, I know like 2 words of French, one of which is nuit, and in English the title of the third book in English is only one word so I thought it was a translation of his Morning and Evening.

And Kakutani will hopefully never even be nominated, but I wonder about a literary critic/theorist winner. Derrida probably would have stood a decent chance of winning had he not suddenly died.
    http://www.korea.net/NewsFocus/Cultu...ticleId=119678
    http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20160602000755

Korean writing in ... France

In The Korea Times Chung Ah-young reports that Korean author joins top French literary series, as some of Lee Seung-u's work -- quite a bit of which has been translated into French -- has now appeared in Gallimard's pocket-book Folio-series; she goes so far as to suggest:
    Lee's recent Folio edition proves that he is more widely recognized in France than in Korea.
    And she notes:
    Widely known for his interest in Korean literature, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clezio, the 2008 Nobel Laureate for Literature, mentioned Lee Seung-u as a likely candidate for the prize, along with other Korean writers such as Anatoly A. Kim and Hwang Sok-yong.
    (Any Nobel-name-check list that includes Russian-writing Anatoly A. Kim -- pretty impressive. Note also that as a Nobel laureate Le Clézio is allowed to submit a nomination every year -- might he go the Korean route ?)
    Lee Seung-u is, of course, not entirely unknown in English either -- indeed, The Reverse Side of Life is under review at the complete review.

Le Clézio expects some Korean writer to eventually get a Nobel Prize

In 'Korea will soon win Nobel Prize' in The Korea HeraldYang Sung-jin reports that:
    Nobel Prize winner Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio said he expects a Korean writer to win the prestigious literature award in the near future.

"What I see is not just a possibility of a Korean writer winning Nobel Prize, but the inevitability," Le Clézio said at a news conference in downtown Seoul on Tuesday. "When I visited Sweden to attend the award ceremony, I heard the Nobel officials talking about Korean writers and it seemed like they know fairly well about Korean literature."
    He's not merely trying to be polite to his Korean hosts; he actually is fairly familiar with the local scene.

EDIT: He mentions Hwang Sok-yong in his Nobel Lecture, too. (He mentions many names, actually.) http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_priz...ecture_en.html
    Last edited by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V; 29-Jul-2017 at 02:09.

Quote Originally Posted by redheadshadz View Post

Kakutani cannot and will not win it, yes. But one literary theorist who has a great chance is Gayatri Spivak. Her work on Subaltern Studies is groundbreaking to say the least. She has constantly been compared to Derrida. I think her biggest supporter in the SA will be Horace Engdahl who himself, like Spivak, is a poststructuralist and was a major proponent of Derrida's work and for him to be given a prize. He sadly never won because he died too soon.

They gave the award to Svetlana Alexievich because they couldn't give it to the Polish journalist, Ryszard Kapuscinski. So they might give it to Gayatri Spivak to redeem themselves for failing to give it to Derrida when he was alive.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    make him sound like a conceited douche.
    ... well ...

Usually the Swedish newspapers calls up persons in the Swedish cultural sphere in the days before the Nobel announcement to ask them who they would like to see win and who they think will win. The SA members are sworn to silence and won't say anything about the deliberations but I thought I would look to see if I could find if they had had any opinions on who should win before they entered the SA. Started yesterday with the new member Sara Stridsberg because I came up with the idea when I posted about her here in the thread.

The two finds I got on Stridsberg were that in 2004 she hoped Joyce Carl Oates or a poet would win and in 2014 she hoped Svetlana Alexievich would win (who, as we all know, won in 2015).

I will do the same thing with the rest of the SA members, of which most probably would have more influence than a first-time participant, when I get time for that.

Just put in a request at my library for Lee Seung-U's Private Life of Plants. He seems interesting and (relatively) young, and probably the most likely Korean candidate at the moment, considering Ko Un has probably aged out and Le Clezio seems really enthusiastic about him. If anyone's curious about other Korean writers, Hwang Sok-yong (also recommended by Le Clezio) and Yi Mun-yol are also really good and I wouldn't mind seeing one of them win.

As for Stridsberg, considering she wrote a book about Solanas and translated her SCUM Manifesto, I think it's safe to say that she'll probably push for a woman.

@nagisa: Nice to see you too.

And I remember that Le Clezio speech. I checked out some of the authors he mentioned. Some I think were Nobel-quality (N. Scott Momaday!), but for others I think it was more a shout out to indigenous writers. I'd be curious which of them he thinks are Nobel worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Marba View Post
    Usually the Swedish newspapers calls up persons in the Swedish cultural sphere in the days before the Nobel announcement to ask them who they would like to see win and who they think will win. The SA members are sworn to silence and won't say anything about the deliberations but I thought I would look to see if I could find if they had had any opinions on who should win before they entered the SA. Started yesterday with the new member Sara Stridsberg because I came up with the idea when I posted about her here in the thread.

The two finds I got on Stridsberg were that in 2004 she hoped Joyce Carl Oates or a poet would win and in 2014 she hoped Svetlana Alexievich would win (who, as we all know, won in 2015).

I will do the same thing with the rest of the SA members, of which most probably would have more influence than a first-time participant, when I get time for that.
    Interesting idea, Marba. Yet I don't expect shocking new insights, because potential candidates for the committee may not be willing to be fully open about it. Still, I hope your research will result in some interesting new names!

Quote Originally Posted by nagisa View Post
    Isahoinp, do you ever read stuff people recommend to you ? Or do you just dismiss it reflexively and trash it without even bothering ?

Genuinely curious here.
    Yes, actually. I've bought a ton of the authors people have mentioned here recently. However, they've just been added to the growing pile of books I've bought and still need to read. I'm still slogging my way through Sienkiewicz at the moment.

The used bookstore near my office had a copy of a Duong Thu Huong novel that I picked up on Friday after work.

Le Clezio has praised Han Kang, who I've mentioned previously here as probably being South Korea's best chance at a winner in maybe 10-15 years. Her two books available in English I gave 5/5 to. Although I don't think she's written enough to win and she's also too young.

As far as this Swedish Academy/news discussion goes, it seems to me, that lately, they've thrown out misinformation or that journalists looking into the prize have gotten bits of the discussion correct but not the actual winner.

Last year very late in the speculation period Swedish newspapers were reporting that the Academy wanted to give it to an America and that the idea of splitting it between De Lillo and Roth was being discussed. This obviously didn't happen but the American part ended up being correct.

Here's a new topic: Do we know of any previous winners who may have nominated someone? Not just speculation but where they've outrigh expressed the desire for someone to win?

Last year Alexievich stated that she wanted Murakami to win. That seems fairly safe to predict as a nomination.

Le Clezio and some Korean authors seems plausible, though he's mentioned liking several active and deceased authors recently so it's hard to tell who if any of them he may have nominated.

Don't know of any outright statements about that, but when Kenzaburo Oe mentioned admiration for Mo Yan in the 90s, he also said he liked Kim Chi-ha and Zheng Yi (http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2012...n-nobel-prize/).

Svetlana's statement also shows exactly why Murakami shouldn't win and borders on ignorance. Said would like to have a word or two with her.

""Now all of Murakami. I love this writer, although they say that this is a simplified literature. I like oriental arrangement of events and their understanding. I'm interested "- Aleksievich said."

No, missy. Maybe Liam can give a better translation.

https://www.svaboda.org/a/28033081.html

It's hard to find interviews of past laureates name-dropping potential nominations, but I'm guessing Jelink has nominated Handke. Müller has probably nominated Yiwu (lol). Coetzee may have nominated Murnane. I'll try to think of others.

In the New York Times 'By the book' interview, when asked who she considers the greatest living writer, Herta Muller said Antonio Lono Antunes. Since it's the only name she mentioned, safe to predict that Antunes has her backing.

Similarly, Orhan Pamuk has explicitly said that one writer who he thinks should get the Nobel is Javier Marias.

Jelinek's support is for Handke for sure. In 2004 when she won, she said Handke should have won instead.

Is it possible that Alice Munro nominates Margaret Atwood? Or that would be two silly?

When Alice Munro won the prize, I know for a fact that Margaret Atwood talked about her admiration for A.Munro in at least a few interviews. Munro hasn't given too many interviews in her life, and I don't recall her talking about Margaret Atwood. That doesn't mean that she hasn't, I just can't remember. I know that Atwood sat on a number of jurys of literary prizes won by Munro. So in a way, she owes her notoriety to Atwood. I'm guessing that they are close friends now. But Atwood, I still maintain that although she has written some great novels, overall, her career is uneven.

I also want to say that if you look at who older laureates nominated in the archives, they put forward fewer names in fewer years than you'd expect. Of course, times can easily change, but just wanted to point that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    As far as this Swedish Academy/news discussion goes, it seems to me, that lately, they've thrown out misinformation or that journalists looking into the prize have gotten bits of the discussion correct but not the actual winner.

Last year very late in the speculation period Swedish newspapers were reporting that the Academy wanted to give it to an America and that the idea of splitting it between De Lillo and Roth was being discussed. This obviously didn't happen but the American part ended up being correct.
    Yes, that's true. And one thing that I think hasn't gotten enough attention last year is the lack of a short list leak. In the past few years, the short list was usually leaked and an unusual name either shot up the betting list (Modiano, Mo Yan) or the eventual winner was already high up on the list. Before that, there was a period where the winner would be leaked the day of or so (Le Clezio, Müller). Maybe the academy isn't just stopping leaks, but actively misleading leakers.