Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2017

Wonderful choice, I'm thrilled.

Did anyone notice the interviewer didn't ask (read: wasn't allowed), "And have you spoken to the laureate? What was his reaction" Sour grapes from last year haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post
    Did anyone notice the interviewer didn't ask (read: wasn't allowed), "And have you spoken to the laureate? What was his reaction" Sour grapes from last year haha.
    Ishiguro will respond, and then spend the next several years thinking about what he said and what he should have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    I remember thinking the film was a disappointment. But most films adapted from literary works are bad/disappointing.
    I really liked the film, though perhaps it's because I saw it before reading the novel. Usually, it's the other way around. I'm also a fan of Carey Mulligan's. I read the book about a year later, expecting to find it gripping. I didn't. Perhaps that's because the plot had already been spoiled.

I actually had a dream last night that a japanese bard would win the prize. Was this a prophecy?

Quote Originally Posted by Ater, Lividus, Ruber, & V View Post
    It's very obvious they didn't take the whole Dylan fiasco and the public backlash well. At all. Especially the Ishiguro fans who were outvoted by the Dylanists

Quote Originally Posted by hoodoo View Post
    I actually had a dream last night that a japanese bard would win the prize. Was this a prophecy?
    He's not really Japanese.... (I mean obviously his heritage is Japanese and he was born there, but I don't think he's a citizen). They even called him an English writer and he considers himself not a Japanese author.

It could be I'm over-interpreting but I like to think of those SA members as a darned clever bunch with a subtle mindset, so the Kipling reference does obliquely hint at an East-West reference of sensibility and physical location.

Quote Originally Posted by Mise Eire View Post
    It could be I'm over-interpreting but I like to think of those SA members as a darned clever bunch with a subtle mindset, so the Kipling reference does obliquely hint at an East-West reference of sensibility and physical location.
    Nope. It wasn't a clue. They also posted the thing about how Lessing is the oldest, the video about women again, and other miscellany. It was just filler lead up.

With betting closing early it seems that both Ladbrokes and the Academy wanted to prevent the revealing of the winner ahead of time.

And they ended up saying an f-you to the betting sites. I mean, was he on nicer odds? He wasn't on ladbrokes...
    Last edited by Bartleby; 05-Oct-2017 at 15:18.

Quote Originally Posted by Mise Eire View Post
    Well also a British writer, writing in English about colonialism/colonial spaces (or maybe I should say imperial more so) (When We Were Orphans) and having a kind of split heritage. Ishiguro definitely has a split heritage, and while Kipling and Lessing don't exactly, growing up in colonial spaces definitely disrupts/punctuates one's sense of national identity.

Ah, that wonderful thing, the Nobel Prize, dont chaque édition nouvelle fait regretter la précédente.
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

Quote Originally Posted by Isahoinp View Post
    He's not really Japanese.... (I mean obviously his heritage is Japanese and he was born there, but I don't think he's a citizen). They even called him an English writer and he considers himself not a Japanese author.
    Graham Swift: You were born in Japan and came to England when you were five . . . How Japanese would you say you are?

Kazuo Ishiguro: I’m not entirely like English people because I’ve been brought up by Japanese parents in a Japanese-speaking home. My parents didn’t realize that we were going to stay in this country for so long, they felt responsible for keeping me in touch with Japanese values. I do have a distinct background. I think differently, my perspectives are slightly different.

GS: Would you say that the rest of you is English? Do you feel particularly English?

KI: People are not two-thirds one thing and the remainder something else. Temperament, personality, or outlook don’t divide quite like that. The bits don’t separate clearly. You end up a funny homogeneous mixture. This is something that will become more common in the latter part of the century—people with mixed cultural backgrounds, and mixed racial backgrounds. That’s the way the world is going.

GS: You are one of a number of English writers, your contemporaries, who are precisely that: they were born outside England. Do you identify with them? I’m thinking of people like Timothy Mo, Salman Rushdie, Ben Okri . . .

KI: There is a big difference between someone in my position and someone who has come from one of the countries that belonged to the British Empire. There is a very special and very potent relationship between someone brought up in India, with a very powerful notion of Britain as the mother country, and the source of modernity and culture and education.

http://bombmagazine.org/article/1269/kazuo-ishiguro

I think to pigeonhole him into either just British or just Japanese is to do his writing a great disservice. The Academy probably referred to him as an English writer simply to refer to his nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    Jokes aside, I'm really pleased about the speculation thread and I'd like to thank you all for your participation. I thought after the Dylan fiasco, I wouldn't be in the mood for it and it turned out to be probably the best one ever.
    As of now, I took immediately two new names I already purchased books on Amazon:
    Hideo Furukawa and Jón Kalman Stefánsson.

Hope most of your who participated for the first time at the forum can stick and keep on making this place richer.
    Two great names to follow - and thanks for having us

Can anyone shed light on these new rules re who they permit entry for the announcement? It certainly wasn't lost on me how muted the response was. I was like, wtf is wrong with you people! You should have been gasping from surprise. Who the heck were they and with the heck wasn't an alive group of people allowed in?

Quote Originally Posted by tierraylibros View Post
    Well also a British writer, writing in English about colonialism/colonial spaces (or maybe I should say imperial more so) (When We Were Orphans) and having a kind of split heritage. Ishiguro definitely has a split heritage, and while Kipling and Lessing don't exactly, growing up in colonial spaces definitely disrupts/punctuates one's sense of national identity.
    Indeed, the Lessing and Kipling clues make sense in hindsight, though it's still unclear to me how the Munro and Karlfeldt quotes fit into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Graham Swift: You were born in Japan and came to England when you were five . . . How Japanese would you say you are?

Kazuo Ishiguro: I’m not entirely like English people because I’ve been brought up by Japanese parents in a Japanese-speaking home. My parents didn’t realize that we were going to stay in this country for so long, they felt responsible for keeping me in touch with Japanese values. I do have a distinct background. I think differently, my perspectives are slightly different.

GS: Would you say that the rest of you is English? Do you feel particularly English?

KI: People are not two-thirds one thing and the remainder something else. Temperament, personality, or outlook don’t divide quite like that. The bits don’t separate clearly. You end up a funny homogeneous mixture. This is something that will become more common in the latter part of the century—people with mixed cultural backgrounds, and mixed racial backgrounds. That’s the way the world is going.

GS: You are one of a number of English writers, your contemporaries, who are precisely that: they were born outside England. Do you identify with them? I’m thinking of people like Timothy Mo, Salman Rushdie, Ben Okri . . .

KI: There is a big difference between someone in my position and someone who has come from one of the countries that belonged to the British Empire. There is a very special and very potent relationship between someone brought up in India, with a very powerful notion of Britain as the mother country, and the source of modernity and culture and education.

http://bombmagazine.org/article/1269/kazuo-ishiguro

I think to pigeonhole him into either just British or just Japanese is to do his writing a great disservice. The Academy probably referred to him as an English writer simply to refer to his nationality.
    Right, but I mean more along the lines of "he's not a Japanese writer. He isn't writing Japanese literature." He doesn't write in Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Indeed, the Lessing and Kipling clues make sense in hindsight, though it's still unclear to me how the Munro and Karlfeldt quotes fit into this.
    They don't. None of these were clues. They were just factoids.

Plus, when Danius said something like "I hope this makes the world happy", damn, that's salty as fuck...

Quote Originally Posted by Ludus View Post
    Plus, when Danius said something like "I hope this makes the world happy", damn, that's salty as fuck...

When asked if Ishiguro were going to be controversial, her eyes looked like they were about to pop out.