Page 162 of 162 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162
Results 3,221 to 3,224 of 3224

Thread: Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Default Re: Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Quote Originally Posted by tiganeasca View Post
    Knowing how much fun there is in the chase, I wish you happy hunting, StevieB...though I suspect by now you're home already. But the thrill of the chase and the glow of the acquisition still remains!
    Thanks, tiganeasca. I spent four hours at the sale and still didn't get through all of the shelves. Unfortunately, I had to head back to work in order to teach an afternoon class. I'd be embarrassed to share how many books, CDs, and DVDs I bought, but most items were in great condition and so cheap that I couldn't resist. Even brand new CDs in shrinkwrap were only 10 cents.

Sorry, Daniel, no pics, but I'll try to get some next time (they hold the sale every three months). I bought lots of books for my kids, my mom, and myself, of course, but I also have some that I'll take with me next time I head down to Minneapolis. There's a large bookstore there that gives excellent trade credit which can even be applied to the purchase of new books.

A few of my highlights from today:

Books:

Georges Bataile - Story of the Eye
    Nicholas Basbanes - Patience & Fortitude (a book about book-crazy people)
    Robert Pirsig - Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    Mari Sandoz - Miss Morissa
    Elizabeth Taylor - Angel
    Mary Stewart - The Moon-Spinners

A number of beautiful art books and cookbooks. My favorite cookbooks include one on global vegetarian dishes and one on bread baking.

CDs:

Latin Jazz (Putamayo Records), a compilation of classic songs
    Native American flute music, classical CDs, and books on tape

DVDs:

The Cuckoo (Finland)
    Saint Ralph (Canada)
    The Best of Youth (Italy)

I continue to be amazed by the quality of items that are donated to the library, and I'm already looking forward to the next sale three months from now.

Independent People, Halldór Laxness
    Qur'an

Quote Originally Posted by lucasdiniz View Post
    Independent People, Halldór Laxness
    Read it. Read it now. Top 5 book.

Bought Jon Fosse's Trilogy and Melancolia (this one in a pt-br, the only Fosse we've got translated so far, if I'm not mistaken).

Steinbeck's East of Eden, in penguin's deluxe centennial edition

David Copperfield and Paradise Lost in those penguin clothbound editions.

A volume of Bob Dylan's Lyrics, a red covered one.

Llosa's A festa do Bode (again, a brazillian edition of The Feast of the goat - I don't read in Spanish )

And I guess that's about it

also bought Ishiguro's The Buried Giant and Peter Nadas' Parallel Stories, but these haven't arrived yet - luckily they were available in a local book shop's online stock...

BTW, that's why I love the nobel prize the most: translations; Nadas and Krasznahorkai for instance still aren't available here.

Oh, and also bought some four more Lobo Antunes("Boa tarde às coisas aqui em baixo", "Ontem não te vi em babilônia", Explicação dos pássaros" and "Meu Nome é Legião"). I plan to read his entire ouevre in six years time (because I know myself and am realistic and yet I think I am being a little too optimistic)
    Last edited by Bartleby; 14-Oct-2017 at 00:48.