Recent content by Abhi

1. Abhi

Maryse Condé (1934-2024)

Maryse Condé, the French author from Guadeloupe, known for novels such as Segu (1984), I, Tituba: Black Witch of Salem (1986) and Tree of Life (1987), has passed away at the age of 90. Winner of the New Academy Prize in Literature in 2018, Condé was a perennial candidate for the Nobel Prize. Her...
  2. Abhi

Understanding Nobel Prize: 1927---1929

The first Mann I'd read was The Transposed Heads. I picked it up after reading Girish Karnad's tremendous play Hayavadana which partially follows the same folk tale Mann had based his novella on. I remember being impressed by Mann's writing. I immediately picked up Death in Venice afterwards and...
  3. Abhi

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

I'm planning on taking up either The Kukotsky Enigma or Daniel Stein, Interpreter as an entry to her writings.
  4. Abhi

WLF Prize in Literature 2024

I went with... Alexis Wright Duong Thu Huong Anita Desai
  5. Abhi

Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

How I wish to be pleasantly surprised!
  6. Abhi

Some people are mentioning Serhiy Zhadan...but he's not even 50...
  7. Abhi

It would be fantastic to get two female laureates in a row! Rooting for Can Xue, Duong Thu Huong and Yoko Tawada.
  8. Abhi

My picks: (Not speculation necessarily, just names I'd be elated to hear tomorrow) Ibrahim al-Koni Duong Thu Huong Yoko Tawada Can Xue Anita Desai
  9. Abhi

24 hours til Mats Malm manages not to butcher the laureate's name.
  10. Abhi

Has anyone read any work by Ahdaf Soueif?
  11. Abhi

A random Nobel question: When a new Nobel laureate is announced, how do you read them? Do you pick up their most recent works? Or their most celebrated, famous, awarded books? Or do you get others' opinions as to how to get to their most representative works? Or rather the question should be...
  12. Abhi

Alexis Wright seems very interesting to me. But according to her wiki page, she has only four novels and one short story collection. Even if the quality of writing is supreme, is the quantity even enough to be seriously considered for the Nobel? I have found so many readers gushing about...
  13. Abhi

He is. With 33/1 oddes.
  14. Abhi

Why do you guys thing Ngugi wa Thiong'o hasn't won? Do you think the SA might be of the opinion that his contributions are more cultural (as in considerably increasing the representation of a continent amidst world literature) than purely literary?