Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013

Award Nobel Prize in Literature 2013

Alice Munro has today been announced Nobel Prize in Literature laureate for 2013, with the citation "master of the contemporary short story".

Discuss.

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2013

Munro - booooooring. But it means that there was no leak and that the International Man Booker Prize winner can win Nobel. And that this was the year of North America and women. So Africa will be next year. :P And they certainly didn't know what to say about Munro because "master of the short story" is like saying: "we give it to her but what intelligent can be said about such mediocre writing"?

Well, Congratulations to her. May be short story as a genre needed some recognition. Not arguing if she was the best choice.
    Jayan

My reaction is "meh". I have read her this year for the first time. I really liked "The View from Castle Rock" and I've read half of one of her short stories book. I kind of grew tired of it and didn't finish it. I don't think I will be reading her any time soon again. But when I do, I think I will just dip in and out of her books.

A lot of translations of her books has appeared in Poland in the last two years. I bet people from that publishing house are over the moon.

I don't know what to think about this. I'm glad because finally a completely denied genre like the short story was made justice; however, it's hard for me to think there are not better short story writers out there than Munro. And yes, another Nobel to English language.

Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Munro - booooooring. But it means that there was no leak and that the International Man Booker Prize winner can win Nobel.
    Hope that can be true for Kadare as well.

Glad they chose wisely and decided not to listen to the posters of World Literature Forum :P

Note about Munro on Wikipedia right now: "Alice Ann Munro (née Laidlaw; born 10 July 1931) is a Canadian author. The recipient of a nobel prize in Litterature and the winner of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature and the 2009 Man Booker International Prize for her lifetime body of work, she is also a three-time winner of Canada's Governor General's Award for fiction, and the recipient of the 2013 Nobel Prize in Literature."
    Yeah, she won Nobel, all right.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel del Real View Post
    it's hard for me to think there are not better short story writers out there than Munro.
    That's right. For example I enjoyed "Life on Paper:Stories" by George-Oliver Châteaureynaud much more than many Munro's collections.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Glad they chose wisely and decided not to listen to the posters of World Literature Forum :P
    Wisely or not - the time will tell. I'd say that she'll be completely forgotten in ten years but she surely had a good PR.
    There's always hope that better writers will win next year when political correctness won't be the main factor.

Alice Munro!!! An exciting and refreshingly non-political choice (at least to me). Alice Munro is truly one of the masters of the short story genre, and she certainly merits this well-deserved award. Just this evening I was re-reading "The Albanian Virgin," an extraordinarily powerful example of her work. The depth of her psychological insights always astonishes me, and throughout her work there are always these little moments - seemingly insignificant and yet startlingly profound - that just shatter me. I, for one, am very pleased at this year's worthy winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Davus View Post
    Wisely or not - the time will tell. I'd say that she'll be completely forgotten in ten years but she surely had a good PR.
    There's always hope that better writers will win next year when political correctness won't be the main factor.
    Oh will you just shut up about the political correctness already. You don't like her. We get it. You probably won't ever realize what is sexist about your remarks, but stick to literary merits or lack thereof of the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Justareader View Post
    That's right. For example I enjoyed "Life on Paper:Stories" by George-Oliver Châteaureynaud much more than many Munro's collections.
    For several years I looked for Antonio Tabucchi to be awarded for his mastery at the short story. This is Nobel should have been given to him

In the context of global politics and cultural exchange, being Canadian conveys the simple benefit of being neither European nor American.

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Well, if you don't like it what the hell are you doing here? You're not obliged so leave if you're so unsatisfied by the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by pesahson View Post
    Oh will you just shut up about the political correctness already. You don't like her. We get it. You probably won't ever realize what is sexist about your remarks, but stick to literary merits or lack thereof of the winner.
    This. Also, adding smiley faces to your posts doesn't make them any less offensive, it just makes you look condescending on top of it all.

Well, if you don't like it what the hell are you doing here? You're not obliged so leave if you're so unsatisfied by the forum.
    It was a tongue in cheek remark. No need to get so angry and kick people out of the forum for it.

Because I have the freedom to be here. Simple as that :P

Quote Originally Posted by pesahson View Post
    It was a tongue in cheek remark. No need to get so angry and kick people out of the forum for it.
    I'm not kicking out anyone, but it's like the third time she is making that kind of comments, and frankly, it's annoying. Beside I'm tired of these people that only get around for the Nobel speculation and then disappear the whole year. That's not the way of really participating in a forum, but whatever, I won't say anything else about it and I'll stick to discuss about literary merits of this year's Nobel laureate.

I'm not kicking out anyone, but it's like the third time she is making that kind of comments, and frankly, it's annoying. Beside I'm tired of these people that only get around for the Nobel speculation and then disappear the whole year. That's not the way of really participating in a forum, but whatever, I won't say anything else about it and I'll stick to discuss about literary merits of this year's Nobel laureate.
    Fair enough.