Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

Default Re: Nobel Prize in Literature 2016

I hope people dissing Bob Dylan because his work was not written to end in a book and that he is pop remember Shakespeare also didnt wrote Othele, Hamlet, Romeo and Shakespeare to end in a book and he is popular as hell. And Dylan writting has been published, can be read (and it is good enough) and it is rather silly compare Bob Dylan to Beyonce or other memes, it is something like Comparing Jimmy Hendrix as guitar player to Shakira. The guy is the Pelé, Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali of song writting. Let's be honest.

As the definition of literature, they are not changing anything. Lord Byron Hebrews Melody, which have his more popular poem (in the sense how people repeat it), She walks in Beauty, were song lyrics too.

It is just that it is Pop, it is not a novel or romance. (And somehow, it seems americans take offense, but lets face how coherent it is with the non sense about american being insular when they pick a cultural expression from america that is the probally the one with the best dialogue with the rest of the world).

Proof of Dylan's excellence:

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle in your boots and shoes
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, you got nothing to lose
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, like a swarm of bees
    Wiggle on your hands and knees

Wiggle to the front, wiggle to the rear
    Wiggle till you wiggle right out of here
    Wiggle till it opens, wiggle till it shuts
    Wiggle till it bites, wiggle till it cuts

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
    Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
    Wiggle, you can raise the dead
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

Quote Originally Posted by Cleanthess View Post
    The cool kids have plenty of prizes that the rest of the world is interested in: the Oscars, Grammys, MTV and Brit awards, etc. Us, nerdy kids, only had the Nobels (because only nerds care about the many other book prizes).

So, when the SA gives its Literature prize to a "song and dance man" (his own witty words), it feels sad, like a brainy, unathletic, honor roll girl applying for a place in the cheerleading squad.
    I do not mind having fun with prizes (which are not sport prizes, so it is down to a matter of opinion and not a precise judgment of quality), but one thing, no matter the prize, must stand out: the artists that won it are always bigger than the prize. This includes Bob Dylan. Remove the nobel from the history and we lose a thread, remove Bob Dylan and you lose something quite important, an considerable part of XX century culture that raised the bar when we talk about one of the most popular and influential manifestations of art, which many times turns into literature.

Now, if drama players have won it, wait the day a movie writer will won. Or best, a comic book writer. Do not limit the world's reading to your own eyes only.

Another good piece from the New Republic : https://newrepublic.com/minutes/1377...te-award-music

"While some will celebrate the fact that an American has finally won this coveted prize after a decades-long drought, I read it as a troll of the American writers and poets who could actually lay claim to the award. Everyone has their preferred American Nobel Laureate—from William H. Gass to Marilynne Robinson to John Ashbery to, yes, Philip Roth—all of whom have been disrespected by the Academy this morning."

Quote Originally Posted by JCamilo View Post

Now, if drama players have won it, wait the day a movie writer will won. Or best, a comic book writer. Do not limit the world's reading to your own eyes only.

Wait, I thought Faulkner won it for his work on Land of the Pharaohs and The Big Sleep!

I do not mind having fun with prizes (which are not sport prizes, so it is down to a matter of opinion and not a precise judgment of quality), but one thing, no matter the prize, must stand out: the artists that won it are always bigger than the prize. This includes Bob Dylan. Remove the nobel from the history and we lose a thread, remove Bob Dylan and you lose something quite important, an considerable part of XX century culture that raised the bar when we talk about one of the most popular and influential manifestations of art, which many times turns into literature.

We actually agree. I felt sorry for the SA, the nerdy group trying to glomp Dylan's cool, not for Dylan. When I was young, the posters on the walls of my room represented the faces of Newton, Schubert, Caetano, Milton, Dylan and Lennon.
    To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations, such is a pleasure beyond compare.
    Yoshida Kenko

Or best, a comic book writer. Do not limit the world's reading to your own eyes only.
    Not joking here but I would be genuinely happy if Neil Gaiman won.

I wonder how Roth is feeling this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by tierraylibros View Post
    Wait, I thought Faulkner won it for his work on Land of the Pharaohs and The Big Sleep!
    I am sure they wrote that his work for The Big Sleep wouldnt count, for this would be the same as giving the prize to Raymond Chandler and he was just a genre writer good with dialogues.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    Not joking here but I would be genuinely happy if Neil Gaiman won.

I wonder how Roth is feeling this morning.
    The same he felt every year he didn't win.

And Alan Moore should win before Gaiman. Perhaps next year.

Can't wait to see Lady Ga Ga winning the Nobel next year. Or maybe Sia. Sia would be too safe, so they might go with Ga Ga because of her weird lyrics

Really, nobody sounds witty comparing Bob Dylan writing to Lady Gaga.

When I congratulated my boss at MN over the fact of Minnesota's native son, Bob Dylan winning the Nobel prize, he asked me: the Nobel prize? For what?
    Yoshida Kenko

New guy here.

If the SA wanted to expand the limits of literature why Dylan and not someone like Sondheim

And Alan Moore should win before Gaiman. Perhaps next year.
    Sandman -v- Watchmen.

You are splitting hairs. Alan Moore SHOULD win before Gaiman? Both are equally influential.

Also, Lady Gaga isn't cool anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by alqui219 View Post
    New guy here.

If the SA wanted to expand the limits of literature why Dylan and not someone like Sondheim
    Agree....

And what about giving it to writers from non traditional genres like sci-fi/fantasy....Stephen King, GRR Martin, Ursula Le Guin....the ship sailed for Heinlein, Asimov's and Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Uemarasan View Post
    Also, Lady Gaga isn't cool anymore.
    Wait, I was told that the Swedish Academy wasn't very fond of popular writers so I could see that working in Gaga's favor.

Oh, and The Swedish Academy awarding the Nobel to some songwriter instead of actual American writers sounds "witty" to you?

Not impressed. He's still primarily a musician. A great musician, but still a musician, this has been a total muddle and a confusion of genres. Opera librettists also write words that are often profound, but they write them not for their literary beauty and value, they write them to fit in with the music of the opera. I honestly don't care at this point but I think the SA is slowly running itself into idiocy and extinction.

Sondheim would have been a brilliant choice, actually, though I think they chose Dylan because of his influence beyond music?

JCamilo brings up a fascinating point. I've always been a bit curious about the idea that literature exists as something primarily "written" when in fact the very history and tradition of literature doesn't point in that direction at all. There has been and still persists a rich oral literary tradition surrounding us.
    Last edited by Uemarasan; 13-Oct-2016 at 18:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrabal78 View Post
    Sandman -v- Watchmen.

You are splitting hairs. Alan Moore SHOULD win before Gaiman? Both are equally influential.
    Love both, but when Neil published his first comic book with Dave McKean (Violent Cases) his description was "A guy wanting to write like Alan Moore and another wanting to draw like Bill Sienkiewicz". Alan is one generation older.