Recent content by titania7

1. T

Betrayal in Literature

As I have just finished re-reading Harold Pinter's play, Betrayal, it occurred to me that betrayal, lies, deceit, and duplicity are things that are at the heart of some of our finest literary masterpieces. From Julien Sorel in Henri-Beyle Stendhal's The Red and the Black to Cousin Bette in...
  2. T

Hugo Claus: Desire

After two readings, Hugo Claus still fails to deliver the goods with his slim 1970s novel, Desire. Although the book possesses a certain brittle charm, and Claus tends to see life from an exquisitely ironic vantage point, the book left me feeling a deep sense of disillusionment. Wait, am I...
  3. T

Flannery O'Connor

Few writers have had the impact on my life that Flannery O'Connor has had. There are a few definitive reasons for this. First, she was from Georgia, and her writing depicts mindsets and customs that are still prevalent in the Southern part of the United States today, some 45 years since her...
  4. T

Fyodor Dostoevsky: The Gambler

The Gambler by Fyodor Dostoevsky translated from the Russian by Constance Garnett "...people not only at roulette, but everywhere, do nothing but try to gain or squeeze something out of one another." Alexey Ivanovich, the lead character in Dostoevsky's novel, The Gambler, makes this shrewd...
  5. T

Machado de Assis: The Posthumous Memoirs Of Bras Cubas

The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas by Joaquim Maria Machado de Assis translated from the Portuguese by Gregory Rabassa "Only great passions are capable of great actions." So the narrator of what is arguably Machado de Assis' finest novel, The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas, tells the...
  6. T

Krúdy Gyula: Sunflower

Sunflower by Gyula Krudy translated from the Hungarian by John Batki "You'll need life's disappointments and storms to find the path to happiness. Yes, go on and step out, have a good time and laugh a lot, dazzle and dance on. Sooner or later you'll have your fill of the masquerade." This...
  7. T

Knut Hamsun: Hunger

Hunger by Knut Hamsun translated by Sverre Lyngstad "Here I was walking around so hungry that my intestines were squirming inside me like snakes..." This is just one of the passages in Hamsun's novel, Hunger, that forces the reader to empathize fully with a man who is literally starving to...
  8. T

Chinese Literature

Nnyhav, Thanks so much for posting a link to this fascinating article. It sounds like Yu Hau has had more than his share of detractors. The article, "Pulling Yu Hau's teeth," which he dismissed as a piece of "sensationalism" sounds as if it was particularly calumnious. The main criticism of the...
  9. T

Italo Svevo: Zeno's Conscience

Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo translated from the Italian by William Weaver "You see things less clearly when you open your eyes too wide." If these words, spoken by Zeno Cosini, were heeded by him over the course of Zeno's Conscience, it would be a vastly different book. But Zeno is...
  10. T

Honoré de Balzac: Beatrix

Beatrix by Honore de Balzac translated by Beth Archer "All men begin by promising us happiness, and then bequeath us deprecation, desertion, and disgust." These are Beatrix's words, and she is one of the key characters in Balzac's sweeping novel of the same name. Divided into two books...
  11. T

Faroese Literature

I'm delighted to see this thread is back, thanks to the always resourceful Stewart ;). Eric, I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion of the Faroese poets. Enjoyed the link to the Wiki article on Faroese literature, by the way. Very concise and informative. ~Titania
  12. T

Tanizaki Jun'ichirō: Some Prefer Nettles

Some Prefer Nettles by Tanizaki Junichiro translated from the Japanese by Edward G. Seidensticker My rating: ****0 At the core of Junichiro's slim novel, Some Prefer Nettles, is a marriage that is in the process of disintegrating. Rather than husband and wife, the two married people, Kaname...
  13. T

An Open Letter to the Forum

To my fellow list members: It has been brought to my attention by someone whose opinion I very much respect, that I may sometimes demonstrate behavior at this forum that is overly aggressive and a little bit "pushy." I think it's incumbent upon me to clarify a few things. In the first place...
  14. T

Jaan Kross: The Czar's Madman

The Czar's Madman by Jaan Kross translated by Anselm Hollo My rating: *****++ "Is it not--when all is said and done--the case, with regard to all the events of the world, that every visible occurrence is also, or perhaps merely, a hint of invisible connections, of some invisible worlds?" So...
  15. T

Charles Dickens: Great Expectations

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens There are some books that have been spoken about to such an extent, that a person feels as if they would have few original things to say about them. Charles Dickens' classic, Great Expectations, is one such book. From Pip to Estella to Miss Havisham, the...